Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This so annoys me no one needs a title ?

+4
southernbelle
Charly
johnb
Jeanie
8 posters

Go down

This so annoys me no one needs a title ? Empty This so annoys me no one needs a title ?

Post  Jeanie Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Earlier tonight I had a phone call which went like this" Hi Jean I know you are not my Councillor any-more but I have a problem"and can't get in touch with anybody else!
Ok I asked what is your problem?

Problem told , problem solved even though it has taken me the last 2 hours but that is what I have always done so why should having a title make any difference ?
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

This so annoys me no one needs a title ? Empty Re: This so annoys me no one needs a title ?

Post  johnb Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Realistically, it is not the job of the councillor to solve problems. If the bins are not being emptied you don't expect a councillor to go to the depot, steal a refuse truck and go and resolve the issues. What the councillor CAN do is identify the relevant people, present (through channels) the nature of the problem and keep nagging about it until the problem has been resolved. Being a councillor gives you access to people who can make things happen. Therefore you do need to be (or at worst have been) a councillor to get things into the right place tobe resolved.

I fully understand that you are a willing and helpful person through and through, but please understand that the title 'Councillor' unlocks very many doors indeed and makes the job much easier.

Please keep on being helpful, but make sure you put pressure on our elected representatives who DO have special access.

johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

This so annoys me no one needs a title ? Empty Re: This so annoys me no one needs a title ?

Post  Jeanie Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 pm

johnb wrote:Realistically, it is not the job of the councillor to solve problems. If the bins are not being emptied you don't expect a councillor to go to the depot, steal a refuse truck and go and resolve the issues. What the councillor CAN do is identify the relevant people, present (through channels) the nature of the problem and keep nagging about it until the problem has been resolved. Being a councillor gives you access to people who can make things happen. Therefore you do need to be (or at worst have been) a councillor to get things into the right place tobe resolved.

I fully understand that you are a willing and helpful person through and through, but please understand that the title 'Councillor' unlocks very many doors indeed and makes the job much easier.

Please keep on being helpful, but make sure you put pressure on our elected representatives who DO have special access.

I will never change J.B being a Councillor does not unlock any door unless you are genuine to a cause sadly Rochdale has lost it's care values !
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:41 am

I think we all know there is a limit to what a councillor is meant to do John.
I can appreciate what Jeanie means, she spent 2 hours helping someone out when she had no obligation to do so ..its just part of who she is.
How is it that constituants cant get hold of their councillors ? Isn't that what the role is about?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:06 am

Please don't misunderstand me. I am simply pointing out that the title confers access we mere mortals do not have.

If elected councillors are unwilling to exercise their influence that is a fault.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:13 am

Perhaps RO should speak to Jeanie and find out more, sounds like a job for Mr Hardcastle?
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:32 am

Plus if folk know they will get help, they may go to the person who will sort their problem without trying other avenues first.
There may be some laziness involved at times and people taking advantage.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:05 am

Half the time, people seem to pop down the street and chat to their councillor if they have any sort of issue rather than ringing the council department concerned or accessing them via the RMBC website.

If my damned bin doesn't get emptied then I ring or email the appropriate council department. If there is still no action, I will write to the council officer in charge and the councillor in charge of whatever committee it is.

I don't vote for a councillor in some sort of mistaken belief that they are supposed to offer a 24/7 service dealing with everything from dripping taps to queues in A&E.

Many of them work full time. I think we have to be reasonable what we expect. Also, I think that there is danger of encouraging a cult of dependency if you do everything for everyone.

Councillors are elected to represent the punters, not to wipe their backsides or be a comfort blanket.

Some are of course totally useless and can't even be bothered to reply to email. They need getting rid of.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

This so annoys me no one needs a title ? Empty No one needs a title

Post  past it Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:48 pm

I have not been a councillor for about five years and I still get people asking if I can help. It's no problem pointing them in the right direction or simply giving someone who can help a call. John B is correct, having access to the right person is what it's all about.
The reason people approach me rather than their councillor is usually a simple case of knowing me. You cannot blame a councillor who does not help if they are not asked.
People look for the easy way, you can't blame them.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:59 pm

past it wrote:I have not been a councillor for about five years and I still get people asking if I can help. It's no problem pointing them in the right direction or simply giving someone who can help a call. John B is correct, having access to the right person is what it's all about.
The reason people approach me rather than their councillor is usually a simple case of knowing me. You cannot blame a councillor who does not help if they are not asked.
People look for the easy way, you can't blame them.

I quite agree and people will always come to you for advice & help, maybe I worded my post wrong but as you know the Council keep promising to have a "One Stop Directory" for the Borough which still hasn't happened sometimes it's the little things promised that can make a "huge" difference to someone's life !
Like you I won't ever stop being here for anyone needing genuine help & advice.
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

This so annoys me no one needs a title ? Empty New Title

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:05 pm

I think you may have had a few titles to your name when you switched from the Lib Dems to Conservatives Jeanie. Basketball lol! Smile

Last edited by teamplayer2 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Usual)
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:55 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:I think you may have had a few titles to your name when you switched from the Lib Dems to Conservatives Jeanie. Basketball lol! Smile

Their problem not mine teamplayer and we can't ever turn back the clock ? life is for living and I am living mine but will always be here to help genuine people and there are lots of them needing it right now Sad
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

This so annoys me no one needs a title ? Empty Who needs a title

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:14 am

Yes Jeanie I suppose so even more now. Would you believe that I have been approached to be a Union Rep again.

Now are they serious or is it just know one else will do it!

At the end of the day I cannot get in to it because of health problems surrounding me at the moment. So have to put myself and my better half first.

What is annoying is those wanting others to be a union rep but not prepared to take the job on themselves.

Someone also mentioned to me about being a councillor. Mind boggles.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:23 am

People are always ready to let someone else do the job.
A few neighbours were complaining about parties every weekend on the street, (one went on till 5am!) one of the neighbours was telling others to ring the police, why he didn't do it himself is not clear, unless its the fact that he is always out chatting to the offenders! Mad
If the police were called and came (questionable anyway) he could truthfully say 'well it wasn't me who rang them'
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

This so annoys me no one needs a title ? Empty Who needs a Title

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:41 am

Funny Charly it is true what you said.

When I had a clash with a neighbour over certain matters I was threatened a few times and had reasons to call the police.

He was a very scary and a bully. Then one day I had enough when he threatened me again and this time I turned round and challenged him and asked what he was going to do if I did not get back in my own house?

He was rather shocked and looked scared himself. He walked away and I had no problems after that. Then I was told by other neighbours he had caused problems before.

Though I have seen him since he tends to be quiet and does not say a word. Does come as a shock sometimes to others when you turn round on them and find they you are capable of defending yourself.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down