Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RMBC admitting its cuts may increase homelessness!

+9
johnb
Prudence Tempered
Poppyanna555
cyfrifia
Spartacus
UP THE DALE
teamplayer2
Hinch
Heywoodpp
13 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RMBC admitting its cuts may increase homelessness! - Page 4 Empty Re: RMBC admitting its cuts may increase homelessness!

Post  Spartacus Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Hinch wrote:Selling off the family silver is not and never will be a replacement for sound financial management mingled with perhaps just a tad of compassion.

Rochdale, like other towns is a custodian of its local heritage and history. OK, it may have a few paintings and sculptures that have appreciated in value over the years but these are a drop in the ocean and it would make no sense to sell off a few trinkets now to house the homeless when, in the next round of cuts, it would no doubt choose yet yet again pass these on to those most in need, if its present track record is anything to go by.

The last Pope, JP2 said that he would be selling off a lot of the Vatican's object d'art but the last I heard, the Vatican shelves were pretty well-stocked and the Vatican Bank is hardly on its uppers. Certainly no dark patches on the walls to indicate where rare, quattrocento paintings had once hung before being sent off to the auction house.

The only handouts that the churches seem to be shelling out are the hundreds of millions of pounds/dollars and Euros for victims of child abuse together with hefty legal fees.

This council needs to reasses its priorities. Paying out £100K for the Feelgood festival is anathema. No good Martha Reeves & the Vandellas urging us to be 'Dancing in the Street' whilst others are sleeping, starving and dying on them.

Post this up on our Blog Sparky!

Aye, Aye Captain! Very Happy

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

RMBC admitting its cuts may increase homelessness! - Page 4 Empty Re: RMBC admitting its cuts may increase homelessness!

Post  Hinch Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Ah, that's better. I feel so much more comfortable in my own 'skin'!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Just to add, I don't think we should sell off the family silver in the main, but the idea is worth looking at.
If all these big corporations, rich people, religions etc paid their fair share of tax etc, then there would be no need for such vicious cuts.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:20 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:
If all these big corporations, rich people, religions etc paid their fair share of tax etc, then there would be no need for such vicious cuts.

Totally agree.

If you have a business in this country you should pay tax here. If you earn in this country you should pay tax here. There should be no loopholes.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 pm

The people making the loop holes in the tax system are the ones who run the country in Government and most of them are rich anyway.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:44 pm

A Department for Communities and Local Government spokesman said: "It's completely misleading to suggest there are thousands of young people sleeping rough.
"This country has one of the strongest homelessness safety nets in the world and the bigger picture is that homelessness is actually lower than for 28 of the last 30 years.

Not in Rochdale it isnt!

http://money.uk.msn.com/homelessness-a-national-shame
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Charly wrote:A Department for Communities and Local Government spokesman said: "It's completely misleading to suggest there are thousands of young people sleeping rough.
"This country has one of the strongest homelessness safety nets in the world and the bigger picture is that homelessness is actually lower than for 28 of the last 30 years.

Not in Rochdale it isnt!

http://money.uk.msn.com/homelessness-a-national-shame

That 'Local Government Spokesman' is a joke.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Obviously the local MP supported by figures from the House of commons library doesn't believe it either.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Some good news at last!
Lets hope this goes all the way for the people of Rochdale or wherever who find themselves on the streets for whatever reason

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/75455/innovative-technology-gives-public-the-power-to-help-rough-sleepers
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 pm

What the heck IS going on in Rochdale Council ! Mad HOMELESSNESS:

Rochdale News | Council Watch | Consultancy firm appointment questioned - Rochdale Online

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/127/council-watch/75703/consultancy-firm-appointment-questioned

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:45 am

Beggars belief doesn't it MH but then, we are talking Rochdale Council! Mad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Councils spend huge and disproportionate sums of money on consultancy, which is often of dubious value one way and the other, instead of spending that money directly on the problem. Why do they do that?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:22 pm

The mantra that councils and public-sector organisations trot out when questioned about this usually runs something like this:-

"On major projects, it is often cost effective to use companies which may have a wealth of expertise in the particular area under consideration that we do not have within the organisation and this has been proven to be a cost-effective way of improving our services."

I found, in my time in the NHS, that organisations often reach out for management consultancy firms as if they were some sort of comfort-blanket and whose so-called expertise was often of the 'slash and burn' variety.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm

If councils and councilors are simply afraid to make decisions, their lack of decision making ability causes more problems. The consultancy delivered has to deal with the finances of a council which has very little money left to spend on the problem, because so much has been spent on consultancy.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Wobbles Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:11 pm

It is said that RMBC has bought Providence house to stop it reopening as a hostel. There is also a demolition order on the gates.
Wobbles
Wobbles

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Wobbles wrote:It is said that RMBC has bought Providence house to stop it reopening as a hostel. There is also a demolition order on the gates.

Where did they get the money from?

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:05 pm

If that is true it is criminal!
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wobbles Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 pm

No idea where the money has come from, I assume RMBC may say it is part of the regeneration plan?
Wobbles
Wobbles

Back to top Go down

Post  Wobbles Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Good to see the council are putting providence house to good use and making a car park. Just what the vulnerable ordered.
Wobbles
Wobbles

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 pm

£300k (?) Car park plans for former Salvation Army hostel - Rochdale Online

V

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/76638/car-park-plans-for-former-salvation-army-hostel

It's true then. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Reading that report makes me feel that the council have only paid lip service to the escalating problem, It must be costing more to put people in B&B than it would cost to sort the problem out properly, and the thought of no account being kept of those presenting for help in dire need and being sent away is just typical sweeping under the carpet tactics!
Its a shambles.
Just wait till the problems from the bedroom tax start to take effect and children not able to stay with seperated parents, disabled made to share a room with their carer, servicemen and women and students not having somewhere to go home to.
'CHILL OUT' PLEASE STEP FORWARD LOOKS LIKE WE COULD BE BACK IN BUSINESS!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:45 pm

My own view of the report (which is an interim report) is positive in the sense it did not (as far as I could tell) attempt to sweep anything under the carpet and backs up all the points made by Chill-Out.

The report also, as stated in the RO article, identifies that adequate records have not been kept and highlights that there is trouble ahead with increasing homeless numbers and forthcoming changes to the benefits system.

"RMBC and partners" are currently working on reviewing their procedures in light of the report and its findings.

I am holding back any judgements until I see what evolves from this. Yes, it is taking time but I would rather they got it right and did a proper job than stuck a few plasters on it. The meeting I attended (together with Heywood PP and Hinch) on Friday was a positive one. Attitudes have turned full circle since Heywood PP and others first raised concerns.

[i]

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:33 pm

A bit difficult for me as I did not attend the whole meeting and had to leave on another assignment before the discussion started. As I wrote the RO report and am also a proud 'Chill-Out' member I need to be careful what I say other than to say that on this forum, I speak for neither organisation.

I must express my extreme frustration that 8 months after these issues were raised, so little has seemingly been put in place and so much remains to be done. Sparky is perhaps a bit more patient than I am in this respect!

The B&B situation has been almost a complete balls-up. The directory of services we were promised at the first meeting has not materialised, many of those working with the homeless are unaware of the Helpline number and as for the lack of tracking, this is beyond belief.

With my 'Chill-Out' hat on, I hope to continue to help resolve these issues. I just think it will need a big injection of cash which I don't see forthcoming but I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

Had I been one of the disciples, I would have been St Thomas. I'd love to believe what I hear but it's what I actually see and feel that makes me believe.

I'm so shallow.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Spartacus wrote:My own view of the report (which is an interim report) is positive in the sense it did not (as far as I could tell) attempt to sweep anything under the carpet and backs up all the points made by Chill-Out.

The report also, as stated in the RO article, identifies that adequate records have not been kept and highlights that there is trouble ahead with increasing homeless numbers and forthcoming changes to the benefits system.

"RMBC and partners" are currently working on reviewing their procedures in light of the report and its findings.

I am holding back any judgements until I see what evolves from this. Yes, it is taking time but I would rather they got it right and did a proper job than stuck a few plasters on it. The meeting I attended (together with Heywood PP and Hinch) on Friday was a positive one. Attitudes have turned full circle since Heywood PP and others first raised concerns.

[i]
But what has actually been achieved Sparky?
It doesnt seem anything, I cant believe they are not even keeping track of those who approach them for help.
I posted a week or so ago of a young chap who had been shown a room in one of the facilities and then told 'ring us in 2 weeks'! what was he was supposed to do in the meantime ?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next