Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Big-name retailers' for Town Centre?

+11
UP THE DALE
mark_select
keithatrochdale
Chill37
Atlas
johnb
teamplayer2
Jeanie
cyfrifia
Charly
Hinch
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

'Big-name retailers' for Town Centre? Empty 'Big-name retailers' for Town Centre?

Post  Hinch Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:17 pm

http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/news/s/1592846_big-names-signed-up-for-150m-centre-claim

Wow... who could they be? Harrods? Harvey Nicks? Fortnum and Mason? Louis Vitton?

I've heard on the QT that the following could be interested:-

Comet
Woolworths
TJ Hughes
Peacocks
Texas
Jimmy Duckworths
Siunclair's C5 Motor Co?
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

'Big-name retailers' for Town Centre? Empty Re: 'Big-name retailers' for Town Centre?

Post  Charly Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Sounds like a good all-round mix, i'll look forward to it Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

'Big-name retailers' for Town Centre? Empty Re: 'Big-name retailers' for Town Centre?

Post  Hinch Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Just heard, following also interested:-

Provident Clothing Cheques
cashforyourbanger.com
wonga.com
paydayloans.co.uk
Scrotes 'R Us
cashinahurry.com
Booze Buster
Bet Fred
William Hill
Joe Coral
phonesforfookall.com
Dignitas
Male Grooming Salons UK
Steel Roller Blinds Ltd
Sue, Grabbit & Runne, Solicitors
Botchitt & Scarper, Builders
Dabbiton & Leaveit, Painters and Decorators
getoutofdebtnow.co.uk
hockyourhouse.com
Fly By Night, Removals
cashforchristmas.com
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm

That's all anyone could possibly need for a full and meaningful lifestyle.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Councillor Duxbury wrote:http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/news/s/1592846_big-names-signed-up-for-150m-centre-claim

Wow... who could they be? Harrods? Harvey Nicks? Fortnum and Mason? Louis Vitton?

Comet
Woolworths
TJ Hughes
Peacocks
Texas
Jimmy Duckworths
Siunclair's C5 Motor Co?

If they are so interested why hasn't Cllr Faroog Ahmed named them?
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:18 am

"Coun Farooq Ahmed, cabinet member for finance, says"

Let's get rid of the facade shall we, Councillor Ahmed almost certainly didn't say, a media officer wrote what Councillor Ahmed's name is put too. Happens with nearly all releases and responses. Officers don't want councillors speaking their own minds, they are 'encouraged' not to do so. Nothing here against Councillor Ahmed, who in my experience is a thoroughly nice guy, or against Labour, the same happened when the Lib Dems were in charge.

The big names are interested bait has been trotted out by council officers, via councillors for years now. Where are they?

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Well then Councillor the voters are asking. Who are the invisible companies who want to come to Rochdale to give us a very good town centre? Why have they not rushed to Rochdale in the past?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Some have and scarpered just as soon as the cheap starting-up deals finished. Either that or they saw the economic realities PDQ.

The rest went bankrupt for the most part.

Still, we have one of the finest collection of loan-sharks, pound shops, charity shops, pawn shops, phone shops and cheque-cashing centres in the North West.

Give the kids their presents on Xmas Day and hock them on December 27th. That's efficiency for you.

I hope that Farooq Ahamed or his media talking-head are right and that a few national retailers are waiting to move in. Hopefully not the usual B&M Bargains, Home Bargains, Poundstretcher, Farm Foods etc. We have enough of that crap already.

What I would REALLY like to see are local independent retailers starting up. If so, I hope they get the same start-up sweeteners that the big, out of town boys seem to be able to extract.

There may of course be sound commercial reasons why potential incomers don't want their identities revealing so early. If I owned a large chain, I may well be interested but I'd want to hedge my bets until I actually saw the plans nearing fruition.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:21 pm

True statement but just hope that Rochdale does revive soon, but I fear it will take a long time or just be too long to save Rochdale.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 pm

It's all very well talking about 'Town Centre East' but what about 'Town Centre West' - the levelled site where Carter Bros used to be to the west of Asda?

Henry Boot is the contractor, and there have been artists impressions of a mall type development (like Chadderton) with the names of the participating stores cunningly altered to give the impression big names are coming without promising anything.

If this is 'planning', how do we end up with conflicting bids at opposite ends of the town or, as ever, do the left hand and right hand have no communication?
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Good point JohnB. Crying or Very sad
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 am

"Business on Breakfast" this morning ...talking about business rates, the man from the British Independant Retailers said about the high street shops "Rochdale is subsidising Regent Street"

Isn't it about time whoever it is that sets the rates realises that they are killing a Golden Goose each and every time they hike them?
Businessess are priced out so the rates go up for the remainder to compensate, never ending circle
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:08 am

Charly wrote: "Rochdale is subsidising Regent Street"

There are different ideas about the origin and meaning of the name 'Rochdale'. The media now seem convinced that it means 'Place on the wrong end of the stick'.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Doesn't seem to be a mile off the mark.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 am

Whilst they are all talking about you be rest assured you are not being ignored. The time to worry is when it all goes deathly quiet. In the same vein there is not such thing as 'bad' publicity. Yes the interest is all towards benefits and deprivation and latterly sex trafficking but the town 'needs' to be in the eyes of the rest of the nation for whatever reason. We might still yet get more from the Cyril Smith syndrome - and for those that don't know what I mean - ask a friend. Wink Keep them talking and keep passing round the hat. It's all to the good.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:19 am

It would be more worrying if it all goes deadly quiet, but maybe there is such a thing as too much bad publicity? The limits seem be being tested. With Rochdale in the news, it's a good time for some surprisingly good news. Could that be arranged?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:41 am

Yes. Here's some for you. There are blackguards and scrotes in every town in the country and murderers and thieves and rapists. Rochdale could never (in a thousand years) be singled out as worse than most and in many respects could only be singled out for its kindness of heart and honesty of passion. I know where my money would be if asked if you wanted to move anywhere in the country where would you move to. Answer - the North of England and Rochdale/Bury preferably. Wake up you people. The rest don't have a start on you. Very Happy Fly the flag and to quote Shakespeare - to hell with Burgundy.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 am

As Ive said before Rochdale does seme to be in the news for all the wrong reasons when it comes to bad news. But hardly ever for good news. I dont think I heard or read one artlcle on the local radio or media for the recent opening of the new Toad Lane Museum other the the usual outlines.

Why is that?

It does appear that Rochdale has been portrayed in a bad light and that is sticking.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:53 am

Councillor Duxbury wrote:http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/news/s/1592846_big-names-signed-up-for-150m-centre-claim

Comet
Woolworths
TJ Hughes
Peacocks
Texas
Jimmy Duckworths
Siunclair's C5 Motor Co?

Aren't they all out of business or bankrupt?
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Yes, so I think that they would fit in rather well.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Durrrr Keith Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  mark_select Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Apart from a Primark Store, what other retailers are out there that would consider expanding into Rochdale? I suspect that any others may be the Boots, M&S and Wilkinson stores looking to relocate allowing the council to build additional council offices.

mark_select

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Good question, Mark, and welcome to the board. I am a Mark as well.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:23 am

mark_select wrote:Apart from a Primark Store, what other retailers are out there that would consider expanding into Rochdale? I suspect that any others may be the Boots, M&S and Wilkinson stores looking to relocate allowing the council to build additional council offices.

Well it appears only a select few Cllrs, well just one it seems, know of the 'big names' that are lining up to come into the small shopping centre.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Still no hard info on these big names coming from council so last night I got out the ouija board but all it gave me was a load of jumbled-up letters:-

HPSRTCDEORNEUT

Can't make head nor tail out of it.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next