Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against forced marriages.

+2
Charly
UP THE DALE
6 posters

Go down

Against forced marriages. Empty Against forced marriages.

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:55 pm

I expect some flack for this, but I don't care-Forced marriage is wrong.

http://againstforcedmarriages.org/petition
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Against forced marriages. Empty Re: Against forced marriages.

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm

UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Why would you expect flack?
These girls need our support
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Never know some might not like it. They sure do need our support.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:30 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:I expect some flack for this, but I don't care-Forced marriage is wrong.

No flack what-so-ever I have been on many campaigns, marches through Manchester and talks in London with the Rochdale Women's Welfare Association Trafalgar Street who do a fantastic job in supporting these young girls which is a shame as they are now struggling through these latest funding cuts,they work closely with the police and other agencies to keep these girls safe but it does need funding which has sadly been withdrawn ?
These funding cuts are being taken away from community groups at the routes of many many problems here in Rochdale I dread to think who will pick up the mess we are left in when these centres are forced to close.
I will run this petition through the Rochdale Women's Welfare Association.

Last edited by Jeanie on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment)
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 pm

I thought this aspect of multiculturalism (a blind eye to forced marriages) had been completely discredited. Obviously it still goes on, but is an unacceptable crime against human rights. Arranged marriage is a different item, but forced? No, you are quite right on this one U.T.D.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Jeanie wrote:
UP THE DALE wrote:I expect some flack for this, but I don't care-Forced marriage is wrong.

No flack what-so-ever I have been on many campaigns, marches through Manchester and talks in London with the Rochdale Women's Welfare Association Trafalgar Street who do a fantastic job in supporting these young girls which is a shame as they are now struggling through these latest funding cuts,they work closely with the police and other agencies to keep these girls safe but it does need funding which has sadly been withdrawn ?
These funding cuts are being taken away from community groups at the routes of many many problems here in Rochdale I dread to think who will pick up the mess we are left in when these centres are forced to close.
I will run this petition through the Rochdale Women's Welfare Association.

Totally agree, and thanks.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Were you worried you might get flack because your thread is on a race issue?
Dont be, I get it all the time Laughing Laughing Laughing
I think thats why others send me what they would like to post but for that very reason are hesitant, but if something needs to be said...it needs to be said.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:04 am

Wasn't so much worried, just thought some might see it as too controversial, because yes it's a race/cultural issue. I am a supporter of a multicultural society but also see many things wrong with Muslim society including the area of women's rights. Mind you it's not just Muslim thing of women being forced into marriage.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:06 am

Just to add Charly, I do honestly believe if people have something to say, they should not hide behind you, they should say it themselves.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:12 am

I dont mind UTD, they have their own reasons for not posting or being anonymous if they do post something of a controversial nature.
But why is it classed as controversial? there would be no hesitation if it was about white middle class suspects as has been proved by all whats coming out now with Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter, Freddie Starr plus of course politicians.
Surely if we are all supposed to be equal under the law then thats how it should be, the authorities shouldn't have to take a step back because it might cause offence to a community, the police and others are afraid of being classed as racist as happened to the judge and jury in the trial in Liverpool earlier this year.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 am

People have every right and indeed duty to talk about race issues, if they believe they anything to say about it, or believe something is wrong. What I get pissed off about is when you get people from outside the town coming in shit stirring, when that is the last thing we all need. These outsiders who want to cause problems will not be around if it all kicks off due to their stirring up of the situation.

Every Muslim I have talked to believes forced marriage is wrong as well as the grooming. But maybe that's because I don't know any of the extreme Muslims. I genuinely believe that the vast majority of Muslims in Rochdale and nationally are against these horrible things, BUT as we can see with other issues discussed, often it's the minority that give the majority a bad name, and yes the majority maybe could and should do more to weed out the minority who cause the problems.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:35 am

I've spent some time in India and met many young men there who had arranged marriages, arranged, not forced which is an entirely different thing.
Every one of them I spoke to about it was happy to let their parents choose their partner, I didn't speak to many of the girls as a lot of them didnt speak English and I am hopeless with Hindu or Konkani (only picked up a few swear words and words telling beach sellers I wasnt interested in their wares) but they were all happy enough as it is a way of life.
A few even said they would be afraid to choose for themselves in case they got it wrong.
I only know of one who divorced the wife his parents chose for him and he went on to choose for himself the 2nd time and chose an English woman.
India is my most favourite place on earth and I would go to live there in the blink of an eye if it was at all possible but non Indians can only stay for up to 6 months at a time on a tourist visa, the only alternatives is to set up a business or marry an Indian. Only Indian people can buy property there too
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 am

UP THE DALE wrote: often it's the minority that give the majority a bad name, and yes the majority maybe could and should do more to weed out the minority who cause the problems.

A few years back, immigration rules allowed free access for religious leaders into the UK, which meant many teachers at mosques were from abroad with little English language. This meant they had little knowledge of local circumstances, but were considered authentic and authoritative. I don't know if that's still the case, but would think religious leaders who understand the local situation and community, and are interested in improving it are best.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm

http://againstforcedmarriages.org/helpline If you know of any woman in need of help on this subject

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/10021189.Survivor_of_7_7_attacks_nominated_for_prestigious_award/?ref=mmsp
Excellent woman. Education so important to help women get equality.

UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:04 pm

I wish that someone on here would learn to spell 'flak'.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:08 pm

I have met several Asian ladies during my working life, colleagues who have had a lot to offer to our society, it is shameful that so many of these ladies are deemed 'inferior' and treated with such disregard within some of our Asian communities by their menfolk. It is a pity that the same criteria isn't applied to their 'boys' who seem to be given free reign to cause mayhem on our streets with their drug dealing and anti-social behaviour. All of my posts about the anti-social behavior conducted in my neighbourhood has been dished out by my Asian male neighbours (barring one white youth) so I speak as I find Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Poppyanna555 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Admin wrote:I wish that someone on here would learn to spell 'flak'.

Would that me me? Sorry about that. In fact not even sure if the right word to use is flack/flak.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm

And me, I copied you without thinking Embarassed

I must not write flack
I must not write flack
I must not write flack
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Charly wrote:And me, I copied you without thinking Embarassed

I must not write flack
I must not write flack
I must not write flack

so would it be Flak then doesn't look right to me but I suppose I have to go along with the Oxford Dictionary
Surprised
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Yes and the group who are against the criminalisation of forced marriages in this country are due for a lot of ‘flak’ from some other pressure groups.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum