Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeing sexism at its worst

+4
Hinch
Atlas
Charly
teamplayer2
8 posters

Go down

Seeing sexism at its worst Empty Seeing sexism at its worst

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:44 pm

I was unfortunate to witness something last night at a gym.

After finishing my gym session last night I decided to go for a sauna. It is a mixed sauna.

As I entered there was a young lady in the sauna just with a couple of other people all male. A few minutes later a male came in and said something to her and she left in an hurry. I would hasten to say they were all Asian who were in the sauna. All of a sudden the male concerned said " She left because I walked in here". They were speaking amongst themselves when a coulple of the males left and he turned round to me and asked If I was ok!

Just being curious I asked him what he meant by the female left because of him. His reply was that he did not like naked ladies and seem to be mentioning the right for her to be there. I did say she was well covered and doing no harm and had as much right to be there. Did not seem to go down to well and after a few minutes of silence he decided to leave. Though in the changing room after there was some filthy looks from a couple of males but I vould not care less because they seem to be living in another age.

I mentioned it to the gym staff after and informed them on what I witnessed. I did say perhaps they should have alternate days for the sauna to be used by females only. It was so sad to see and to witness that a few men still living in the past and so worrying that other cultures are still treating the females the way they do.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Seeing sexism at its worst Empty Re: Seeing sexism at its worst

Post  Charly Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:19 pm

I think they do have female only sessions dont they TP? Well, that is they do at Central Leisure I dont know which gym you use.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm

They did at Link4Life Gyms I think but not all gyms are the same. Though I am thinking of changing when my contract is up. The gym I used tried to bring a female sessions only on certain days but there was a lot of objections. I was not sure myself at the time but after what I had seen may be be there should. But wait and see but there is other gyms etc where she may be better off at. Though there are all female gyms only around, but she did not deserve the treatment she recieved.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 am

You seem to be in a quandry teamplayer2? Do you advocate a seperation of the sexes in order that these females do not have to put up with archaic bigotry? Or do you advocate the males should (and we have no law against mixed bathing/gymnastics etc) be taken to task, shown the error of their ways and told to 'like it or lump it'? Does sexism rule or do we work towards the letter of the law - which is it man?????? Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:10 pm

In with you Atlas. Teach bigots a lesson and show them the errors of their ways.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:18 pm

As a point of interest, we have received unrelated reports from a female friend that mixed swimming sessions are being used as 'oggling opportunities' by some males.

Distastelul if true and I have no reason to suspect that it isn't.

The concept of women being, in effect, forced to use separate, female-only sessions because some assholes feel uncomfortable in their presence in swimwear or because they are being subjected to harassment in the form of oggling really is unacceptable.

I hope that the gym authorities took your message on board TP and I would follow it up and ensure that your concerns are taken seriously.

Women have a right to feel safe and free from this sort of crap whether at work or in the sauna.

I know that RMBC pop on here from time to time. I hope they are taking notice.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:07 pm

I intend to ask what they thought of my statement mate, but will see. It is a private gym I go to for the present not with RMBC.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Hinch wrote:As a point of interest, we have received unrelated reports from a female friend that mixed swimming sessions are being used as 'oggling opportunities' by some males.

Distastelul if true and I have no reason to suspect that it isn't.

The concept of women being, in effect, forced to use separate, female-only sessions because some assholes feel uncomfortable in their presence in swimwear or because they are being subjected to harassment in the form of oggling really is unacceptable.

I hope that the gym authorities took your message on board TP and I would follow it up and ensure that your concerns are taken seriously.

Women have a right to feel safe and free from this sort of crap whether at work or in the sauna.

I know that RMBC pop on here from time to time. I hope they are taking notice.

Absolutely agree Hinch. If any man is offended by women using such facilities, then THEY should go and find a facility just for bigots like him. Equally any man uncomfortable of using mixed facilities should find a men only facility. Ogling is out of order as well, but I would imagine is difficult to police.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:41 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:I intend to ask what they thought of my statement mate, but will see. It is a private gym I go to for the present not with RMBC.

Yes. Have nothing against the sort of being struck by the sight of a comely young minx in a bikini. We are, after all, human. But gaining entry to a public or private swimming facility with the intended purpose of oggling is pervy, intimidated and unacceptable.

The report I had from a female friend relates to a Link4Life facility and seemed to have a specific cultural dimension to it.

Let me know how you get on by PM please TP. You are right to be concerned.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Seeing sexism at its worst Empty Reply with quote Re: Seeing sexism at its worse.

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I don't like the fact that there seemed to be an element of bullying in this incident also Mad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Exactly PPA. I like the bloody cheek of it. If he was in his own country where the norms are different, fair enough. The guy should be thrown out of the gym, his membership revoked and his details circulated to similar establishments.

He is perfectly entitled to his opinions... as long as he keeps them to himself.

I notice that his strong religious beliefs don't prevent him from going to the gym in the first place where, if it holds mixed sessions, he is bound to see females wearing swimwear or sports gear.

Like a Jewish bloke going into a pork butchers to complain about the 'offensive' display of bacon and pork sausages.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:26 pm

When I started this thread I was shocked at first when I witnessed it.

I do not know if there is still interest in this but I have even been mored shocked as to what I have been told while asking around.

It seems this behaviour has been going on for a long time and some of the culture from certain male members of the gym are really or should be alien to our society in this country. I would hate to say it but if they want to live in a certain society where the females of our society in the United Kingdom is not acceptable to them. This being able to train in a gym, have a voice and a vote, and have equal jobs and opportunities the same as the males in our society, then they need to move to another country and society which is acceptable to them.

What I can gather some males from other cultures seem to get offended if females use the gym or participate in any sports, but at least their view is in the minority.

In fact their views towards females is just as bad as racist views. We live in a muticultral society but at least in a free society in most ways.

Not a prefect society but I would not like to see such extreme views towards the females become part of society in the UK.

Though it does seem some males want it that way.

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  hovis Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Have you made a formal complaint to the management in writing saying you will complain to the equal oppotunites board, this may make the Gym more proactive in ensuring ever one who uses the gym feels comfortable.

hovis
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Sorry to bring this up again. I moved away from the last gym. Looks like it will not last because the company went into administration. So went to join the Link4Life Gym in Rochdale last couple of weeks.

Seems ok up to now.The do have seperate gyms sessions for females if required and other all female or family events. Swimming pool looks good and security of the building and for the customers and staff is quite good

Gym upstairs is mixed but it looks like they have the balance just about right looking at the events they run there. Very clean so may become something Rochdale can be proud of.

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:04 pm

I see in the local paper today that the Gym I went to FITNESS FIRST is to shut. This is the gym I went to when I first mentioned the incident by a male in a sauna towards the female.

I can only hope that the male members from the gym who do not like the females to be training at the same gym as them go and join a male only gym. I would think that there strange ideas and backward beliefs towards females will not be welcome at Link4Life and hope they are stopped and shown they are not welcome or just keep quiet. If they cause problems for any female member that their membership is suspended and banned.

If I ever witness it again I will speak up about it and confront the issue head on.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:56 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:Very clean so may become something Rochdale can be proud of.

It's been open since June, and I think it's already something Rochdale can be proud of. It has great staff (I have to confess to a small bias here, but the others are all great too), a huge array of fitness classes and a great gym.
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 am

Yes nickih since I joined this last month I must admit I have been impressed with the activities and the general run of the Link4Life sports arena. I also feel more secure there and impressed how clean they keep the building and a credit to the cleaning staff who work there.

Mixed activities for everyone who wish to use them and how they wish to. Also not to bad a price either.

Let us hope they keep it up. My last post was just commenting what I witnessed at a previous gym and hope never to come across it again.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down