Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale!

+7
Admin
Irishman
Charly
Poppyanna555
Hinch
Mulldog
Spartacus
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale! - Page 2 Empty Re: Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale!

Post  cyfrifia Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 am

The 'Councillor Diaries' section on Rochdale Online has disappeared, a 'Council Watch' feature has appeared.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale! - Page 2 Empty Re: Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale!

Post  Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:47 am

The two are unrelated, Councillor Diairies was scrapped due to lack of use by councillors following the Labour landslide last May.

The Council Watch section was launched last week.

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:30 am

J wrote:The two are unrelated, Councillor Diairies was scrapped due to lack of use by councillors following the Labour landslide last May.

The Council Watch section was launched last week.

You should have a third, Rodent watch.....Pesky blighters Rolling Eyes

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale! - Page 2 Empty Reply with quote Re: Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale!

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Haha, made me chuckle that Irish Very Happy Laughing
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:41 pm

From today's Northern Voice:-

Simon Sucks-up to Main Stream Media

Posted: 08 Dec 2012 02:15 AM PST

Rochdale MP, Simon Danczuk Snubs Alternative Press

SPEAKING this week in a debate in parliament on the regional media following the Leveson report, Rochdale MP, Simon Danczuk, praised both the Manchester Evening News (MEN) and the Rochdale Observer. No doubt he thought such praise would help his future career and bring him more favourable coverage in the main stream regional press. Refering to the MEN he said: 'While I am talking about journalists I will mention Jennifer Williams, who works for the Manchester Evening News, and the recent Cyril Smith scandal. She has pursued that story and written well about it on several occasions.' Of the Rochdale Observer he said 'It is the people's champion'.

But in doing this he ignored the work done and the risks taken by the regional alternative media, such as the Rochdale Alternative Paper who did most of the spade work and Northern Voices, in developing the Cyril Smith story and in making his speech in the House of Commons revelant by getting a new key witness in Eddie Shorrock. The main stream media simply jumped on the bandwagon once Paul Waugh, with our help, had posted the Smith story on his Blog www.politicshome.com/ on the 6th, November.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Blotted his copybook there, hasn't he?

Just when I was beginning to think he was stepping up to the mark.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Spartacus wrote:Just when I was beginning to think he was stepping up to the mark.
Ha, ha, ha, thank you Spartacus, feeling sorry for myself laid up with bronchitis but that gave me such a good laugh it has cheered me up no end Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:54 pm

" Hinch wrote: From today's Northern Voice:-

Simon Sucks-up to Main Stream Media

Posted: 08 Dec 2012 02:15 AM PST

Rochdale MP, Simon Danczuk Snubs Alternative Press

SPEAKING this week in a debate in parliament on the regional media following the Leveson report, Rochdale MP, Simon Danczuk, praised both the Manchester Evening News (MEN) and the Rochdale Observer. No doubt he thought such praise would help his future career and bring him more favourable coverage in the main stream regional press
(EXTRACT from Hinch wrote)

He didn’t only praise them, he was thought to even wax downright lyrical .. to incredible degrees that incorporated his statements:

The reporting on the Rochdale Observer is second to none Shocked

Most importantly, the role that the paper plays in democracy should not be underestimated. Laughing

The paper provides scrutiny of the council, MPs and other private and public organisations. Mad

Wow!

Then again, he’s thought by some to be looking for maximum publicity in central Rochdale to follow his current foray in Palestine. It seems the quality, or was it the content?, of his video diary hasn’t been so good and lots of press exposure may soon be sought ... according to some inveterate cynics.

A politician, press and self-interest? Naw

Back to top Go down

Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale! - Page 2 Empty Reply with quote Re: Freedom of the Press? NOT in Rochdale!

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:06 pm

A neighbour of mine tried to contact Karen Danczuk last Thursday and was told "she is on annual leave" to which my neighbour asked "when will she be back in"? and was told by the gentleman that he spoke to that, 'he didn't know"....charming!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:06 am

The editor of a regional newspaper told me last year that if the MP and the Council are happy with a media organisation then that organisation isn't doing its job.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 am

Well, well, well, RO has company...

Protests as council boss ejects reporters from meeting

by Charlotte Cross, last updated on December 7, 2012

Journalists from two weekly papers were thrown out of a community meeting after a council chief said he was "uncomfortable" with their presence.

Reporters from the Croydon Guardian and Croydon Advertiser were excluded from a meeting of the West Croydon Community Forum along with a local blogger after the council's chief executive, Jon Rouse, warned members it would be a "very different meeting" if they remained.

Mr Rouse - whose salary including pension contributions totals £248,362 - told the meeting upon his arrival that he would prefer the press not to be present as he did not believe it was his job to be scrutinised by journalists.

The media has previously been invited by members of the forum to attend the meeting at which Mr Rouse was discussing the council's plans for the area in the wake of last year's riots.

However Mr Rouse told the meeting: "I just feel uncomfortable about this situation. It's not appropriate for an officer to be placed in this position. It is going to be a very different meeting if the press are here.

"It is not my job to place myself in a position in which I have to defend council policy and have my words scrutinised and reported on by the press. That is the place of our democratically elected politicians."

Following his warning, members of the forum voted in favour of the press being ejected, but Croydon Guardian assistant editor Matt Watts said there had been a strong reaction against the move.

He said: "Questions have been raised about how transparent the council is being about work it is doing in Croydon."

The West Croydon Community Forum was set up in the wake of last year's riots in Croydon to help regenerate the area.

Said Matt: "Its work has been closely followed by our newspaper and our reporters and other media were invited by the forum to cover a meeting where Mr Rouse would be discussing the council's work in the area.

"Mr Rouse was not willing to have that discussion with the media present. He obviously felt his comments to members of the forum should not be open to scrutiny or reported more widely.

"Our position would be that if you are the chief executive of a council, he should be publicly accountable. He is paid a large salary and the public should be able to hold him to account."

Labour leader for the council, Councillor Tony Newman, labelled the decision "deeply disturbing", adding: "I have always been a passionate believer of a free press. It is fundamental to our democracy. I find this deeply disturbing and I hope it is something I never see the light of again."

Meanwhile, one member of the forum walked out in protest and other residents took to Twitter to label the chief executive "arrogant" and accuse him of a lack of transparency.

A spokesman from Croydon Council claimed the meeting did not count as 'public'.

In a statement, they said: "The meeting was scheduled by WCCF as one of their regular discussions with officers. As it wasn't scheduled to be a public meeting, once the press were there, WCCF members voted on the issue and asked the media to leave.

"It appears that there had been a misunderstanding caused by someone who tweeted invites to the media.

"WCCF publicises its public meetings on its website and the media and members of the public attend those public meetings, however this meeting was not a public meeting and was not publicised on the website."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Council Leader's "arrogance"
Date published: 12 December 2012

The leader of Rochdale Borough Council has snubbed an approach that sought to bring about mediation in a dispute between the Council and Rochdale Online. Councillor Colin Lambert refused to meet and discuss his "anti-media stance".

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/127/council-watch/76074/council-leaders-arrogance

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:21 pm

J wrote:Council Leader's "arrogance"
Date published: 12 December 2012

The leader of Rochdale Borough Council has snubbed an approach that sought to bring about mediation in a dispute between the Council and Rochdale Online. Councillor Colin Lambert refused to meet and discuss his "anti-media stance".

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/127/council-watch/76074/council-leaders-arrogance

Do you think he has been told to snub Rochdale Online by his boss ??? I most certainly do what a farce Rolling Eyes
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Jeanie wrote: Council Leader's "arrogance"
Do you think he has been told to snub Rochdale Online by his boss ??? I most certainly do what a farce Rolling Eyes

The present Leader of Rochdale Borough Council, Mr C. Lambert, works, in his own words, full-time for the Heywood Member of Parliament Jim Dobbin, who is his "boss."

I don't think Jim Dobbin would encourage this type of communication narrow-mindedness but, maybe I'm wrong

Anyway, marginalising a local media business seems discriminatory, unfair and blatantly bigoted, can't fathom out why it's not illegal, or at least a Gross Breach of RMB Policy and Standards. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:08 am

Jeanie wrote:Do you think he has been told to snub Rochdale Online by his boss ??? I most certainly do what a farce Rolling Eyes
Absolutely not, Jeanie, Jim Dobbin has been a long-term supporter of Rochdale Online, always helpful and friendly, even when articles or news comments are made that criticise him. He still submits his 'Letter from Parliament' regularly:

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/22/letter-from-parliament

Far more likely that Colin Lambert is attempting to shore up his credentials with the pro-Danczuk camp on the Council - and of course he has an ego the size of a mountain. When a then new RO reporter, on one of his his first assignments, didn't mention him in his report on the mayor-making ceremony in May this year, Lambert sent me a late night rant by text. I replied explaining he wasn't talking to one of his lackeys on the council and he has thrown his dummy out of the pram ever since.

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:18 am

I thought Jeanie was talking about S Danzcuk Embarassed
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:34 am

Danczuk is not Lambert's 'boss', Lambert is employed by Jim Dobbin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2