Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

God forbid,it's winter.

+14
Old Regulator
Chill37
hovis
teamplayer2
cyfrifia
Atlas
Jeanie
johnb
Striding
Dalelad
southernbelle
Charly
Irishman
past it
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

God forbid,it's winter. - Page 3 Empty Re: God forbid,it's winter.

Post  Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Charly wrote:
Mojo Hill wrote:… that brings back memories of being seriously snowed-in an authentic log chalet near the Deutsche Alpenstrasse with several burly technicians for a couple of days,
How come I've never had any luck like that?
Its definitely not fair!

Charly: It was with work. A haunting visit to the deserted former Dachau concentration camp, before it was converted to a memorial site, was a more lingering memory than the rugged alpine splendour and dominant string of snow covered mountains. Being cooped up with a crew who sustained a 3-day nutritional regime consisting solely of onion soup and beer, in the absence of any other supplies, wasn’t luck. That was purgatory

Omg. I must be at an age when my long-term memory is the most fertile! The roads to and from Munich could be fun, driving just for the hell of it, especially when someone gave you a couple of pairs of snow chains to add onto winter tyres. I hadn’t a b clue how to get them on, for starters
…. long nights on the schnapps, beer in glasses the size of barrels, an amazing psychedelic pink ‘Onesie’ that one guy slept in, numerous years ahead of their present fashion …

Wink

Is it freezing yet?

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:36 pm

The last few weeks have been particularly cold and it has been difficult keeping up with the birds demands. I have been getting bird seed and fat balls from Heywood market at a good price and some meal worms from Morrisons which were not cheap but the birds love.
The birds of course get to depend on the food and keeping up can be a problem. I don't want to sound like a cheapskate because watching them is a pleasure but, are there any simple recipes out there for making some food.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:43 pm

From BBC bird feeding guide;
Dried fruit, unsalted bacon rinds, cooked rice, spare dog or cat food, leftover grated cheese and the remnants from the bottom of your cereal packet can all be left out for birds, so long as they are finely chopped.

Avoid fat from cooked meats as this smears in a way which is not good for birds' feathers.

Biscuits should be crushed and soaked where possible to avoid choking birds and to add moisture.

Never give birds milk as they cannot digest it. Avoid cooked oats but uncooked are fine

“The key is foods which are high in fat and energy, such as sunflower hearts, peanuts and fat balls,” . These are all readily available from garden shops, but household scraps can be just as effective.

“Mild cheese is very good, and so are porridge oats and pastry. Or you can make your own fat cakes out of lard and suet. You should also keep some unfrozen water so that birds can keep their wings clean – try putting a ping-pong ball or tennis ball in the water to stop it freezing over. But never add salt or sugar.”

Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:21 pm

That's useful. Thank you.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:38 am

If you don't have all of these foodstuffs to hand, a quick shuftie round the many overflowing bins should reap a rich harvest for our feathered friends.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 am

That's an interesting scenario Hinch! Hundreds of people shuffling around going through each others bins!

I know 'where' your coming from. But where are you going? That's the problem!!!!
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 am

Put the usual bird food out today and was amazed but pleased to see a sparrow hawk on my fence. Felt sorry for its intended targets then realised it has to live also.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 am

It's cats that are the real problem for the birds.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Garden again but not birds this time. I have been having a clean up and whilst raking up a mound of leaves discovered a hibernating hedgehog underneath. I have recovered it and added some hay but I will be a bag of nerves until I know it's OK. I'm not sure when I will know, probably if it disappears I suppose. There's all this news on the TV about them being an endangered species!!!

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:57 pm

The slugs will be happy if it disappears PI.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Past it. Do you think the sparrow hawk could run to some nice plump pigeons? If so Matron would be pleased if you directed it to chateau Salt to rid us of the pests who insist on eating the food she puts out and then leaving a deposit on the solar panels. Mind you the snow did a good job of cleaning the panels when it came off like an avalanche last Friday night. It’s an ill wind and all that.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Cats are good for clearing pigeons too.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 pm

yes John but dogs, even guide ones, don't like to share my garden with a moggy.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Hinch wrote:The slugs will be happy if it disappears PI.

Very true.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Old Regulator wrote:Past it. Do you think the sparrow hawk could run to some nice plump pigeons? If so Matron would be pleased if you directed it to chateau Salt to rid us of the pests who insist on eating the food she puts out and then leaving a deposit on the solar panels. Mind you the snow did a good job of cleaning the panels when it came off like an avalanche last Friday night. It’s an ill wind and all that.

I wish it would see off mine. All pigeons seem to be loose bowelled.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Just found a pile of feathers where a sparrow used to be, next to the bird table. Any ideas for getting rid of a determined cat?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm

cyfrifia wrote:Just found a pile of feathers where a sparrow used to be, next to the bird table. Any ideas for getting rid of a determined cat?

I have heard they don't like being squirted with water. There are some high powered water pistols about. Trouble is the water may freeze before it reaches the cat.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks, that's a fairly practical idea. Is there something to add to the water that cats won't like the smell of? Lemon juice might.

If anyone ever tells you that trying to keep a cat out of a garden with chicken wire fencing is hard work, expensive and ineffective, they might be right, but I keep trying.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm

A cat has to live and eat like the rest of us. Smile
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:13 pm

Well it can do that elsewhere. I don't keep a cat, I just have cat doodah in the front garden every day and the birds I feed killed in the back garden. That is the everyday experience I have of cats, poo and death. So not keen on them.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Could be fox, hawk or even magpie.

Our cats are all belled, which limits the killing, but how is a cat meant to know which are the nice birds and which the vermin?

The cats probably think you are putting down bait to help their hunting.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:22 pm

It's always good to look at these sort of situations through the eyes of the other species, as much as that is possible. Much can be learned. However it's too easy to jump to conclusions which may prove inaccurate. I suspect the cat might think I put out 'bait' for small birds for my own hunting purposes, but cats are self centered animals, I doubt if it thinks I am trying to help it with it's own hunting. Seeing my failure to pounce on sparrows, it probably assumes I am a poor hunter and expresses it's disdain by pooing on my garden. It's hard to believe one cat can contain that much poo, it is certainly a well fed animal.

It's owner does put easy-release belled collars on it, I find them in the hedge where it wriggles through very tight gaps.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 pm

cyfrifia wrote:It's always good to look at these sort of situations through the eyes of the other species, as much as that is possible. Much can be learned. However it's too easy to jump to conclusions which may prove inaccurate. I suspect the cat might think I put out 'bait' for small birds for my own hunting purposes, but cats are self centered animals, I doubt if it thinks I am trying to help it with it's own hunting. Seeing my failure to pounce on sparrows, it probably assumes I am a poor hunter and expresses it's disdain by pooing on my garden. It's hard to believe one cat can contain that much poo, it is certainly a well fed animal.

It's owner does put easy-release belled collars on it, I find them in the hedge where it wriggles through very tight gaps.

now that is the funniest post i have read on here. well done S. i like the idea of cats 'thinking' too.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Glad to amuse you Old Regulator. Do animals 'think'? They certainly seem to have personalities and their own ways of going on.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 pm

A bit to cheer us,I hope. Toured the rustic patch at the back of my house viz the garden.. Not exactly euphoric but very nice to see helebores, snowdops, just a suggestion of frittalaria and the shoots of hostas.
Gardens have a pleasing habit of suddenly getting out of bed and proving there is life if we wait.
What is the quote "Oh to be in England" can someone finish it off?

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum