Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dead penguins

5 posters

Go down

Dead penguins Empty Dead penguins

Post  UP THE DALE Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Did you ever wonder why there are no dead penguins on the ice in Antarctica? Where do they go?

Wonder no more !
It is a known fact that the penguin is a very ritualistic bird which lives an extremely ordered and complex life. The penguin is very committed to its family and will mate for life, as well as maintain a form of compassionate contact with its offspring throughout its life.

If a penguin is found dead on the ice surface, other members of the family and social circle have been known to dig holes in the ice, using their vestigial wings and beaks, until the hole is deep enough for the dead bird to be rolled into, and buried.

The male penguins then gather in a circle around the fresh grave and sing:

"Freeze a jolly good fellow."
"Freeze a jolly good fellow."

Then, they kick him in the ice hole.

You really didn't believe that I know anything about penguins, did you?

It's so easy to fool OLD people.

I am sorry, an urge came over me that made me do it!

I fell for it, too.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Dead penguins Empty Re: Dead penguins

Post  Hinch Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 pm

I have a biscuit-barrel half full of the things.

They don't move much during the day but late evening, 2-3 generally find their way to my stomach. (p-pick up a Penguin)

Actually, the 'funeral' that you jokingly describe sounds awesome UTD and more dignified than some I've witnessed at Rochdale Crem lately.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey, its not as daft as you think..look at this;

Some birds, it seems, hold funerals for their dead.

When western scrub jays encounter a dead bird, they call out to one another and stop foraging.

The jays then often fly down to the dead body and gather around it, scientists have discovered.

The behaviour may have evolved to warn other birds of nearby danger, report researchers in California, who have published the findings in the journal Animal Behaviour.

The revelation comes from a study by Teresa Iglesias and colleagues at the University of California, Davis, US.

They conducted experiments, placing a series of objects into residential back yards and observing how western scrub jays in the area reacted.

The objects included different coloured pieces of wood, dead jays, as well as mounted, stuffed jays and great horned owls, simulating the presence of live jays and predators.

Alarming reaction

The jays reacted indifferently to the wooden objects.

But when they spied a dead bird, they started making alarm calls, warning others long distances away.

The jays then gathered around the dead body, forming large cacophonous aggregations. The calls they made, known as "zeeps", "scolds" and "zeep-scolds", encouraged new jays to attend to the dead.

The jays also stopped foraging for food, a change in behaviour that lasted for over a day.

Last edited by Charly on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too much text)
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Many animals mourn the dead of family members or others in their communities.
When the cruel dolphin killers of Taiji kill pod members other "surviving" pod members show signs of distress.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 am

Standing on an overbridge across the M62 just after daybreak one morning I was stunned (and surprised) to witness a dead seagull plummet from somewhere above my head and crash into the concrete roadway below my gaze in an exploding ball of feathers. More surprisingly was the flock of seagulls that followed it down to surround the crumpled remains. The cermony lasted a brief 30 seconds before half a dozen more followed the first one as a concrete wagon blasted through doing a hefty 60 miles an hour plus. Moral of the story - If you're going to a funeral don't have it on the M62 at anytime of the day - Shocked
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Jackspratt Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:34 pm

I was sent a picture the other day of a boy, he must have been no more than 3 years old, sat next to a baboon. The baboon was sat upright and if it wasn't for the blood seeping out of his back, you would have though it was alive.

He was the child of a 'Trophy' hunter, sick twisted, often (but not limited to) Redneck Texan men and women, who pay extortionate amounts of money to go Safari Hunting, and pose for pictures with their kill, including Polar bears, lions, ELEPHANTS, and leopards to name but a few. They make me so angry.

Jackspratt

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Sick, disgusting people. Children at that age are way too long to freely want to take part in such barbarism, hunting is barbaric, unless required for survival. certainly hunting for sport in my opinion is wrong. I always think how nice it would be for the hunters to become the hunted. Cracking story about a year ago when a hunter ended up shooting his mate dead, while trying to murder a bear, well deserved in my opinion. Another good one was when a hunter had shot a stag, but only injured the stag and ended up being killed by the stag after it charged him.

These cowards should try hunting with their own bare hands, but instead they never make it a fair fight.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Have to say I'm a bit ambivalent towards hunting unless it's for the pot or involves some genuine pest-eradication issue.

However, killing for fun, especially when it involves endangered species in disgusting. When children are also involved it is even worse. In the US of course, it is a matter of paternal pride when Big Joe Redneck takes his five year old out for the first time with his brand new .22 calibre rifle to slaughter a deer.

Historically of course, our own Royals have hardly set a good example and most of their 'daring' hunting exploits have been done courtesy of the public purse.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Totally agree.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch