Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't usually agree - BUT -

4 posters

Go down

Don't usually agree - BUT - Empty Don't usually agree - BUT -

Post  Atlas Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:07 am

I caught a snippet on some news programme today regarding council workers walking out and going on strike in protest at some big-wig executive council director getting a massive rise????

I wouldn't normally agree with strikes of any description - however - given that the carteling within this particular grouping of fat-cats to perpetually keep raising the salaries of these greedy people without reference to the 'given' situations surrounding them (by that I mean cuts and redundancies) in this instance I can only accept the rationale of strike action. But to make it effective one might hope the council workers en-masse, removing their input, may put the council at some drastic disadvantage and 'may' (if done with grievous intent and spread across other towns and cities) at last make some difference. This disregard for the people HAS TO STOP. If it cannot be done by peaceful means and negotiation then I see no other rational alternative. Very angry at what I see going on in some of our public and private areas these days. I'm not one to press at every red-button I come across but things are getting a little too selfish these days. Evil or Very Mad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Don't usually agree - BUT - Empty Re: Don't usually agree - BUT -

Post  mary ann Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:40 am

Very Happy

mary ann
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 pm

The way councils are organised needs to be changed, so that a cartel of executives can't just decide to give themselves such high salaries and increases.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 pm

cyfrifia wrote:The way councils are organised needs to be changed, so that a cartel of executives can't just decide to give themselves such high salaries and increases.

Cyfrifia: No They don't 'just decide.'

The Employment and Appointment Committees, which comprises of Councillors, have delegated powers in relation to executives, service directors ... senior managers' employment and terms. This isn't a Rochdale quirk, but part of quite standard LA procedures.

There was a meeting this morning: RMBC EMPLOYMENT COMMITTEE, Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 11.00 am No 3 Committee Room - Rochdale Town Hall

A G E N D A
Apologies for Absence
1. Exclusion of Press and Public
To consider excluding the press and public from the meeting during
consideration of the following item of business in accordance with the
provisions of Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, as
amended.

2. Local Government (Discretionary Payments) Regulation 1996 - Injury
Allowance Application
3. Special Schemes
4. Pay and Grading Update (Schools)
5. Senior Management Structure – Update

Specific details of their business remains unknown, as the only publicity stated ‘Document is Restricted.’ The 8 Councillor Members are listed on the RMBC website.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Ruddy Disgusting! Hope that goes up on Council Watch! Mad

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Mojo Hill wrote:
cyfrifia wrote:The way councils are organised needs to be changed, so that a cartel of executives can't just decide to give themselves such high salaries and increases.

Cyfrifia: No They don't 'just decide.'

The Employment and Appointment Committees, which comprises of Councillors, have delegated powers in relation to executives, service directors ... senior managers' employment and terms. This isn't a Rochdale quirk, but part of quite standard LA procedures.

There was a meeting this morning: RMBC EMPLOYMENT COMMITTEE, Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 11.00 am No 3 Committee Room - Rochdale Town Hall

A G E N D A
Apologies for Absence
1. Exclusion of Press and Public
To consider excluding the press and public from the meeting during
consideration of the following item of business in accordance with the
provisions of Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, as
amended.

2. Local Government (Discretionary Payments) Regulation 1996 - Injury
Allowance Application
3. Special Schemes
4. Pay and Grading Update (Schools)
5. Senior Management Structure – Update

Specific details of their business remains unknown, as the only publicity stated ‘Document is Restricted.’ The 8 Councillor Members are listed on the RMBC website.

I think this is the news item Atlas was on about
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/12/12/outraged-council-workers-to-protest-against-top-managers-huge-pay-rises-91466-32416606/
There is some semblance of process, but it seems to be easily 'fixed; so that the executives were able to award themselves big pay rises. The leaders of some councils are paid so much, it costs the taxpayer a tenner if they sneeze. Who pays those council salaries, is it just the taxpayers in that authority, or, everyone?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:16 pm

cyfrifia wrote:

I think this is the news item Atlas was on about
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/12/12/outraged-council-workers-to-protest-against-top-managers-huge-pay-rises-91466-32416606/
There is some semblance of process, but it seems to be easily 'fixed; so that the executives were able to award themselves big pay rises. The leaders of some councils are paid so much, it costs the taxpayer a tenner if they sneeze. Who pays those council salaries, is it just the taxpayers in that authority, or, everyone?

I believe that was the news from last week that Atlas referred to.

In essence, there is little difference to English processes, although Caerphilly County Borough Council has a Councillors' Remuneration Committee in their County Council 'Constitution,' while we have Councillors' Appointment Committees.

Hardly any difference, apart from the number of Councillors who approve such salaries and employment terms. In Caerphilly they only have 5 Councillors on their powerful committee: 4 Labour and 1 Plaid Cymru, now nicknamed 'the famous 5.' The answer seems to lie only in future ballot boxes, as community calls for transparency there seem to have fallen on profoundly deaf ears.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Spartacus wrote:Ruddy Disgusting! Hope that goes up on Council Watch! Mad

Laughing Well that rattled your cage Spartacus.

There's more. Rochdale has a Council Constitution. This small extract might stretch your colourful expletives even further:

ROCHDALE MBC PAY POLICY STATEMENT (April 2012)
1. Purpose of the Pay Policy Statement...
The purpose of the Pay Policy Statement is to ensure transparency and accountability with regard to the Council’s approach to setting pay. The Pay Policy Statement has been approved by Council and is publicised on the Council’s website in accordance with the requirements of the Localism Act 2011. The Pay Policy Statement identifies:
• The method by which salaries and severance payment are
determined.
The detail and level of remuneration of the Council’s most senior managers i.e. Chief Executive, Executive Leadership Team, Service Directors, which accords with the requirements of the Localism Act 2011.
• The committees responsible for ensuring that the Pay Policy
Statement is applied consistently, including the Employment and Appointment Committees which have delegated powers in relation to senior manager employment;

Elected Councillors are taking the decisions about senior posts, salaries and terms, which may go through the council Leader and Cabinet if any further 'rubber stamping' was required. Ban the press and public from Appointment Committee meetings and who knows what has gone on? Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I did know about the LA system and how it is most legally manipulated. My point however is that this so called - transparent system seems not to include any common-sense or rationale or take cognisance of the current economic situations. It's a policy for 'payment' regardless - and that isn't truly in the interests of the people these greedy individuals are supposed to be serving. Therefore it is up to ALL council employees to fight not only for their own jobs but for the peoples rights. We are not here just to keep shelling out fat-cat salaries willy-nilly (which we all pay for one way or another) and expected to sit on our hands and bemoan the fact. As with the bankers and the corporate bandits and the tax-avoiders these people need taking to task. Nothing will change if the 'people' don't act. Evil or Very Mad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down