Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale Dog Rescue

+2
Poppyanna555
Spartacus
6 posters

Go down

Rochdale Dog Rescue Empty Rochdale Dog Rescue

Post  Spartacus Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm

BLANKETS NEEDED FOR DOGS IN EMERGENCY KENNELS

Only found out about Rochdale Dog Rescue a short while ago. Never knew they existed.

http://www.rochdale-dog-rescue.com/

All their dogs have been rescued from the local "pound" on the day they were going to be put to sleep.

This is a busy time of the year for them and they are in desperate need. Especially blankets. They might be able to collect.

Rochdale Dog Rescue are also on Facebook and Twitter.

Hope you don't mind my posting this thread Admin.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Rochdale Dog Rescue Empty Re: Rochdale Dog Rescue

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:30 pm

I would help if I could but I don't own a single blanket (all duvets these days) but I think it is a wonderful cause. I hope you get a good response Spartacus.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks Poppyanna, hope so too Smile

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Contact local charity shops who may throw old blankets out.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Great idea, Southernbelle Very Happy

Thanks.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I've got an old, careworn Lilo somewhere. 1 careful lady owner.

Seriously, I may have 2 or 3. I'll see if I can hunt them out.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Brilliant Hinch! Let me know if you find them.

They have some lovely dogs there but no-one seems to want them because 98% are Staffies. All chipped, vaccinated and friendly. Poor beggars. One's been in emergency kennels for a year next week. Heartbreaking Sad

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 am

I blame the owners, I have a Staffie and he is really placid, loves children, people in general and is fine with other dogs but, I am always being stopped by 'hoodie' types showing an interest in him, often I fear for the wrong reasons.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:16 am

I suppose "hoodie types" and "staffies" get the same bad press, don't they? 99% of them are fine but 1% gives them a bad name.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 am

1% is an awful lot of badly controlled dogs. The dreadful attack in Springfield Park last year is a case in point. (See reports on RO. )

Despite witnesses, still no arrests.

I know a scrote who keeps one tethered all day to a heavy tool-chest with a half-metre length of chain.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:13 pm

I think you'll agree it's the dog owners not the dogs, Hinch.

Have you reported that scrote?

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:08 pm

I agree Hinch, 1% is too many, my dog is always on his lead, if you walk them far enough they don't need to be let loose to cause mayhem.

As Spartacus commented.....have you not reported that poor dog that is permanently chained up? that's just cruel, especially in this cold weather with snow on the way.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Sadly Sparky, the NRA is using much the same argument in the USA to explain why they think people should be allowed to keep 50 assault rifles. "It's people who kill, not guns."

No matter how careful and responsible the owner, some dogs prove virtually impossible to train although a bad owner is a dead cert for the dog behaving badly or unpredicably.

Problem is of course, if Hinch is taking a harmless stroll in the park and three dogs come up to him, how does he know which one or indeed, any represent no threat to him? Should he err on the side of caution or take the risk?

I was in a restaurant in Hebbie on Friday with friends for a nosh. At the next table, a couple came in with a collie off the lead. The poor dog was barking all through the meal whenever a waitress came near the table or when anyone left to use the loo or shifted the position of their feet.

"Don't worry, he won't bite. He just gets excited when other people are around," I was assured (Though not reassured.!)

After half an hour of this, I told them he may well be harmless but I don't go out for a meal with friends to have an animal barking half a metre away from me. I received the usual 'hurt look' as if it was I who was the problem rather than the dog. They seemed to have the usual, "Love me, love my dog" attitude that takes no account whatsoever of anyone else's thoughts, feelings or experiences whatsoever.

In the end, we were able to move table. I complained to the management who mumbled a few inanities and apologised but did nothing.

We once had a 'dog with a history' from a sanctuary who barked at everything and we were unable to cure it of the habit despite obedience classes, trainers, books etc.. We would not have dreamed of taking it into a place like a restaurant or take her out off the lead. Sadly, I think it had developed problems or perhaps been badly treated before it came to us and was beyond any help, support or training that we could give it.

I love dogs and spent half of this afternoon playing in my friends' garden with Sally, their collie-labrador cross... untilk the snow-flurries sent me indoors sharpish!

Dogs are much the same as people. You get good un's and you get bad un's. Sometimes it's nature, sometimes it's nurture. Sometimes it's a combination of both.

Staffies are of course the favoured breed of drug-dealers and those who train them for fighting and aggression. Sadly, this explains why so many end up in Bleakholt. As Poppy says, they are a lovely dog when they have been trained and looked after responsibly.

The scrote I referred to in my earlier post used to beat his with a length of chain, "to bring out its aggression." Reports were made to the police and RSPCA/PDSA but he was allowed to keep him. (Scrote has since died.)

Whilst the bark with a dog is definitely not worse than his bite, one is too often, a precursor to the other. When I am out for a meal, I prefer not to take the risk.

I'm amazed that Irish or Albert haven't been on yet yet to expound their views.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Well that's a first Hinch! I didn't know any eatery allowed dogs on it's premises, the nearest i've got to it is a cup of tea at the hot-dog van sat outside Riggs Garden Centre in Tod', after a long walk along the canal to get there! Laughing
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:40 pm

As said Poppy, we were in Hebbie; otherwise known as 'Two Dykes With A Dog ' country. Ban dogs there and they'd go bust overnight.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:10 pm

In the dark on that one Hinch, I go to Hebden from time to time in the summer months but not to dine, I often go to visit a friend who lives in the Old Town and don't take my dog. When I have been there with the dog, we usually enjoy a packed lunch together on a bench somewhere! I wouldn't want to take him inside a cafe or any other eating place, it just doesn't seem right.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 pm

It has never entered my head to take my dogs in anywhere that food was served.
I just didn't think it was acceptable to do so. Mad
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 am

It matters not Hinch - Not only are they breaking the Health and Hygiene Rules for which they could be summonsed but Health and Safety as well. The only time a dog owner might seek permission from the proprietor to allow his dog inside the eating or cooking areas are those that are registered blind and with their Guide Dogs and even then I don't think it is allowed as the person/s can be guided to a table by a member of staff etc etc.
I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. Hebden Bridge be blowed. Not anywhere in this country.
If reported they would most likely be prosecuted and lose their hygiene rating. Perhaps you should inform them - the restaurant I mean - not the bizzies.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 am

I have no problem with dogs in cafes etc if they are well behaved.

As for any hygiene implications, many pets present less risk than some of the customers.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:52 am

Neither have I. However the law is the law (as ludicrious as it often is) and what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Dog hair sauce is quite a delicacy I believe! Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 am

You can still find plenty of places that welcome dogs. Loads of guides available.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:04 am

My dog is quiet and well behaved although quite big. He sits happily outside the pub by the canal at Hebden. I would not take him into a cafe or restaurant because of his size. He is far better behaved and less of a hazard than many children I see (and more the point, hear) in eateries.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down