Chill - out

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chill - out

Post  Charly on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Where are we up to with Chill-Out?
The weather is extreme at the moment so are there any special measures for those on the streets?
I've just finished my usual shift at the Rochdale Foodbank and speaking to homeless people who are getting nowhere, being sent from pillar to post... one young man getting as far as being shown a room in one of the few remaining establishments and then being told 'ring us in 2 weeks' meanwhile he is relying on others letting him sleep on their floor.
Luckily this chap had access to a friends cooker who is allowing him to cook the food he was given, others dont have that and might have a room but only a kettle with which to make pot noodles, cup a soup and the like.
Last week at one place (supposedly a hostel for the homeless) he was allowed to sleep on 2 chairs but no blanket and not allowed a shower or any food!

[
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Re: Chill - out

Post  Hinch on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 pm

There is an article on RO on this very subject. http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/76917/concern-for-rough-sleepers-as-temperatures-plummet

A further update to the story is likely to appear later.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Some good news ?

18 January 2013. BBC News - Homeless charities given £3.6m to tackle rough sleeping http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21065917

Smile Homelessness Transition Fund grants include Petrus, Rochdale - £199,108

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:07 pm

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/77041/homeless-charity-to-receive-200k-government-grant

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:46 am

Charly wrote:Where are we up to with Chill-Out?
The weather is extreme at the moment so are there any special measures for those on the streets?
I've just finished my usual shift at the Rochdale Foodbank and speaking to homeless people who are getting nowhere, being sent from pillar to post... one young man getting as far as being shown a room in one of the few remaining establishments and then being told 'ring us in 2 weeks' meanwhile he is relying on others letting him sleep on their floor.
Luckily this chap had access to a friends cooker who is allowing him to cook the food he was given, others dont have that and might have a room but only a kettle with which to make pot noodles, cup a soup and the like.
Last week at one place (supposedly a hostel for the homeless) he was allowed to sleep on 2 chairs but no blanket and not allowed a shower or any food!

[

'Chill-Out' had an email from Ian Jolley, council officer responsible for co-ordinating the Strategic Review of Homelessness. He confirmed that emergency measures had been put in place a week last Friday to ensure that rough-sleepers were offered emergency accomodation during the low temperatures.

How this is actually working out on the ground we are not able to say as we rely for our information from the council itself and from our group of informal contacts.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:42 pm

If I had a phone number to pass on to clients it would be helpful Hinch.
I just dont know where to send people on to.
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:22 pm

01706 923559
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Nice one, I have saved it to my phone contacts.
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Heywoodpp on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Or 0345 112 8128 No second night out. They also have a card where you can scan details into your smartphone but none of the homeless I have met seem to have had a bar code! I referred two people to them; one they sorted out; the other they couldn't find but what impressed me was the way they rang me back twice with details of what to do is he self-presents again.

My experience is that, when the temperature does plummet, the more experiences rough sleepers find somewhere at least dry such as disused premises and find ways to keep themselves warm, though not necessarily safe ways.

But I am aware of more and more 'down on your luck' rough sleepers who, because of redundancy, emotional breakdown, relationship breakdown, repossesions (usually from private rather than social landlords), loan shark debts, go incredibly quickly from being employed, housed, with a partner, to being on the streets. That's the scary part. It really is a case of 'there but for the grace of God...'.

I think the next advertising campaign for homelessness charities should show a man clocking off from work, going home for his tea, kissing his wife, settling down to watch tv (with the slogan - might this be you?) and then show him sheltering in a band stand eating whatever he can find (with the slogan - this could also be you).
Heywoodpp
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Thank you, I have saved this number to my contacts along with the one Hinch gave me.
I will make sure everyone at Foodbank has them.
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23 am

Heywoodpp wrote:Or 0345 112 8128
But I am aware of more and more 'down on your luck' rough sleepers who, because of redundancy, emotional breakdown, relationship breakdown, repossesions (usually from private rather than social landlords), loan shark debts, go incredibly quickly from being employed, housed, with a partner, to being on the streets. That's the scary part. It really is a case of 'there but for the grace of God...'.

I think the next advertising campaign for homelessness charities should show a man clocking off from work, going home for his tea, kissing his wife, settling down to watch tv (with the slogan - might this be you?) and then show him sheltering in a band stand eating whatever he can find (with the slogan - this could also be you).

An very good idea. A video of this nature could easily be put together locally and would be really effective in highlighting the issues. It's wouldn't need a £50,000 grant either!

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:47 am

Response from Chill-Out to RMBC HOMELESSNESS INTERIM REPORT

http://chilloutrmbc.blogspot.co.uk/

If you are on Twitter you can follow Chill-Out there : @Chil1Out

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet