Bedroom Tax ?

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bedroom Tax ?

Post  Atlas on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:01 am

Apart from which Hinch some words used such as 'wog' had a completely different meaning in their original forms. The word is only derogatery if used as such in a way 'meant' to be offensive or demeaning. We are to some extent prisoners of our times and upbringing. Each successive generation has to live with what has gone before - like it or lump it I say. Wink
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:53 am

Can anyone tell me if they are offended by being called a 'Brit' 'honky' or a 'whinging pom' or why its ok to have a 'Chinese chippy' 'Italian restaurant' or an 'Indian takeaway' (amongst others) but the guy on Whitworth Road some years ago was ordered to change his 'British butchers' sign?
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:06 am

Not without knowing more details. However I guess Chinese chippies sell Chinese food, Indian takeaways sell Indian food, Italian restaurants sell Italian food, and British butchers sell, err, meat.
Dalelad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 am

“Handicapped was an acceptable description at one time.. as
in when I worked in a school for the 'Handicapped' in the 60's
-70's”
Acceptable by who? The ‘inmates’ or those charged with their care.

“I doubt there was any offence intended by the original
poster.”

So that’s okay then. The road to hell is paved with ‘good’ intentions.

Cyfrifia wrote
“Hello Old Regulator. Sorry to annoy you.”

How do you know if I am annoyed? Never assume even ‘handicapped’ folk can argue a point without rancour.

“ The distinction between the 'h' word, and 'disabled' doesn't mean much to me.”

I know it’s hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way.

“ I've heard both used in discussions about the so called bedroom tax. Yes, I can be a bit dim witted sometimes, other times quite
insightful, I guess most people are a bit like that.”

yes but ‘most’ people use a little sense before either vocalising or writing down offensive describers insightful or not.

“ Thankyou for taking the time and
trouble to tell me off.”

No need to thank me just remember next time you meet some one who is not physically perfect that they see themselves as others see them and yes they probably do take sugar.

Jeanie wrote
“words are nothing if they haven't a meaning !”

I must remember that gem next time I hear someone call me a blind bastard.

“say what you really think not what others expect you to say far to political correct these days and look at the mess we are in through it !”

so the mess ‘we’ are in is what? I am blind and know it every minute of the day I don’t need ;labels by unthinking politicians, even ousted ones, to remind me. As for politically correct you’ve just won me a pint.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Jeanie wrote:Words are nothing if they haven't a meaning !
Say what you really think not what others expect you to say far to political correct these days and look at the mess we are in through it !
just watch "someone will jump in on my comment" just for the sake of it Wink

Meanings are simply the interpretation or code ascribed to them at the time and within the context and reference that they are used in.

Most of my peers at school; including myself, tended to use very derogatory terminology to describe anyone who was different in some way. I have since grown up and avoid using language that would cause hurt or offence although it is hard keeping up with changing trends and levels of acceptability.

'People with disabilities' is now considered less acceptable than 'disabled people' for instance, though I'm not exactly sure why. My Irish father in law always describes his window cleaner as 'that Protestant chap', as if his religion made a difference of some sort.

Here in Stradhoughton, use of the term 'Paki' is still universally applied and to refer to Pakistanis as 'Asians' can draw looks of suspicion.

I stopped using my barber when he told me chattily, "We don't encourage Pakis in here." I now have my hair cut by a chap three doors down who just happens to be Asian.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 pm

[quote="Old Regulator
< x! x ! x ! Monday March 11 2013 11.43 am x! x ! x ! > /quotes]
Old Regulator: Hope you enjoyed your pint Very Happy . I enjoyed your posts and got an aura, like the Churchill rousing speeches, evoking resilience.

What was it people said? Churchill's command of the English language was arguably one of the greatest weapons in his arsenal.

I think the term handicapped in it's derivative context only refers to horse races and golfers now

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 am

Good morning Mojo Hill. Glad you enjoyed what for me is a rare debate on this forum, you should hear me go on about steam locomotives (smile). I’ll enjoy my pint when I can get the chap into the pub, yes you know who you are Ace.

If I have offended anyone with my rhetoric I do apologise. Having read ‘Disability Politics’ for my M Phil I am inspired by the dedication of disabled folk as far back as late 1800’s and the battles fought by ‘inmates’ of the Cheshire Homes in the late 1960’s. the main group for me, not surprisingly, were members of the National League of the Blind (NLB, and the union leader Ben Purse a Salford lad, like me and an ‘inmate’ of Henshaw’s Asylum for the blind at Old` Trafford, where my grandfather was a brush maker. If you are inspired by Churchill these chaps could write speeches, articles and poetry comparable to more ‘famous’ writers on equal rights I have read.

They would for instance be holding rallies and public meetings to educate and inform all voters that a so called bedroom tax was just another attack on the working class (sic) whilst the ‘masters’, including those employed by charities at the expense of the intended recipients of charitable moneys sat back and enjoyed a comfortable life, at the expense of the tax payer as it would be now.
They saw their ‘handicap not their blindness, rather the way they were treated by ‘non handicapped’ people and institutions.

Again if I have offended I’m sorry, but if I have educated then I have not written in vain.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 am

Off topic I know but for some reason Salty's last post reminded me of my father who happened to be a double leg amputee.

As dad aged he rarely wore his legs whilst driving. One day when we went shopping in Bury Dad tried to park in the disabled parking bays but they were all full. He drove around for a bit and when one became free he drove into it and parked. I jumped out the passenger side to grab the wheelchair from the boot just as a car drew up behind Dad's.

The driver of the other car wound his window down, "THAT," he shouted in rage, "Is a DISABLED parking bay! Get out of it immediately!" Dad being a bit of a character enjoyed nothing less than a few shock tactics. He threw open his door and waved two naked stumps at the driver of the other vehicle. "Who the bloody hell do you think I am?" he snarled. "Charles flaming Atlas?" Needless to say the chap drove on. Laughing

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Excellent post Frank. One of the best on the forum so far. I was one of the first trade union Disability Champions in the North West. I learned a lot on the course. It never ceased to amaze me how poor an employer the NHS was at coping with its disabled workforce... bearing in mind it was supposed to be an acute heath trust!

Most difficult decision for anyone who might come under the DDA is whether or not to declare it to the employer. Some are good, others less so. Many furious battles I had re 'reasonable adjustments'. Of course, sometimes employers try to use disability as a club to beat employees over the head with. "If you're not fit to do the job you shouldn't be here." or "How do I know you're registered disabled?" etc. I had to constantly explain to managers that the term 'registered disabled' had disappeared years ago. Perhaps they should issue us with bells or make us wear a wheelchair-symbol on our jackets?

Of course, half the workforce were convinced that disabled colleagues were 'swinging the lead'. "It's funny, he can walk far enough when he wants to." Etc.

By the way, is an M. Phil from Salford the equivalent of a CSE? Just asking.

Sparky, the case you relate shows exactly how people make judgements about the disabilty of others and sometimes disabled people themselves can be just as judgemental. "Do you really need that parking space as my wife's in a wheelchair?" was a question I had to field once. God, the way my knees were on the day in question, I would have LOVED the luxury of being pushed round in a wheelchair rather than to hobble along on two sticks; in severe pain and fighting for breath as I was on that particular day.

I am very aware sometimes when using a disabled spot that I am being eyed up and down by other disabled users with a 'I wonder what's the matter with him' look on their face.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:10 pm

"By the way, is an M. Phil from Salford the equivalent of a
CSE? Just asking."
cheeky sod that'll cost you another pint. MMU but i don't like to mention it!

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Well you might have an M. Phil but I bet I scored better than you on my last eye test... so there!
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

No Bedroom Tax Campaign

Post  Axe Bedroom Tax on Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Whether you are directly affected by bedroom tax or simply outraged by it, please come to the Middleton and Rochdale No Bedroom Tax meeting, 7pm this Thursday 16 May at Olde Boars Head, Long Street Middleton Manchester Greater Manchester M24 6UE.

Gtr Manchester No Bedroom Tax march, 1pm Saturday 1 June, Victoria Statue, Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester.

All welcome.

Unite and Fight!

Axe Bedroom Tax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Mon May 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Who's running the local campaign? I might come and cover it for Rochdale Online if you want to send me some more details or a contact phone number by Private Message.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia on Wed May 29, 2013 9:17 am

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content