Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Planners BBC2

+15
misst
Old Regulator
southernbelle
cyfrifia
Chill37
keithatrochdale
past it
Admin
Dalelad
Hinch
Spartacus
Jeanie
johnb
teamplayer2
Poppyanna555
19 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Councillor Shefali Begum

The Planners BBC2 - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%The Planners BBC2 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
The Planners BBC2 - Page 2 Vote_lcap87%The Planners BBC2 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 13 ]
The Planners BBC2 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Planners BBC2 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

The Planners BBC2 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Planners BBC2

Post  cyfrifia Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:39 pm

With all these lessons being learned, Rochdale is like one big University of Life. Shocked

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 pm

cyfrifia wrote:With all these lessons being learned, Rochdale is like one big University of Life. Shocked

Well I would not like to be a student at that University.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Yes, Cllr Begum sure seems to believe in her own publicity! As far as I am concerned, she is nothing more than a bully.

I wasn't impressed with the apathetic expression on Karen Danczuk's face either.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Was Councillor Shefali Begum appointed as Omnipotent Dictator of Rochdale, or has she just assumed the role?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:06 pm

She has assumed this role Cyfrifia ......
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm

If all the racial origins were reversed in this scenario, then the powers that be would be reveresing the decision rather than be accused of blatant racism and giving severely prefential treatment to their own. This strikes at the very heart of democracy and freedom. Ms Begum is a rude self serving and blatantly prejudiced woman who should be instantly removed from any position of power.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes SB, my sentiments exactly! To hell with political correctness, I for one have had enough!

Wake up and smell the coffee folks, we are being rode over roughshod in the name of 'political correctness' and 'community cohesion'.

THIS is racism, it might surprise some that 'racisim' is a 2 way street, that meeting was immoral!

I, for one, seriously fear for the future of my teenage grandchildren!

Last edited by Poppyanna555 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 pm

I seriously suggest ALL meetings are filmed in future. I for one would VOLUNTEER to watch and scrutinise the FAIRNESS and LEGALITY or decision making by our councillors. Decisions are always going to unpopular somewhere, but if they abide by the rules, and show equality in the application of those rules, we cannot ask for more.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:14 pm

southernbelle wrote:I seriously suggest ALL meetings are filmed in future. I for one would VOLUNTEER to watch and scrutinise the FAIRNESS and LEGALITY or decision making by our councillors. Decisions are always going to unpopular somewhere, but if they abide by the rules, and show equality in the application of those rules, we cannot ask for more.

This is why many councillors would like the decision to be left in the hands of the planners who abide by the rules. Being on a planning committee is a job most councillors would like to avoid because with rare exceptions it is almost always a case of pleasing some and alienating others.
Planners have rules which they apply but also interpret, that's where the controversy starts. Planners because of their experience and qualifications should be able to apply those rules legally and fairly. Can councillors do the same? They all have to have training before they sit on planning committees.
The next problem is public perception. A controversial decision will generate "it's a fix" comment. One that pleases the vast majority generates applause.
Planning is almost always a no win issue. In my opinion it should be left to the professionals.

Last edited by past it on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : repitition)

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Well said, People Smile

In this day and age it would be no problem filming such meetings a broadcasting them. Let's make these Councillors accountable. More people need to witness what passes for democracy in this Borough.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 pm

RO has previously been denied permission to video council meetings.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 pm

J wrote:RO has previously been denied permission to video council meetings.

What were the reasons given for the refusal, J?

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37 pm

The values and behaviours exhibited by the Chair, Cllr Shefali Begum, the Vice Chair, Cllr Mohammed Zaman and some other Cllrs of the Rochdale Township Planning Committee appear to have failed abysmally to even meet the Standards required from RMBC’s own paid staff, as documented in all council Job Descriptions … they are called ‘the Rochdale Way.’ These emphasise at all times: Valuing other People, Acting with Integrity, Working Together...

At 48 minutes into the iPlayer : I'm so disgusted that the following 'performance' in the town hall is for real ...

Councillor Shah Wazir, as a Planning Committee Member, loudly asked an attendee,” Have you ever had any parking issues or an accident around your centre?” As a Shia Muslim who is known to regularly attend this mosque, surely he would already know the answer? Was there a declaration of his personal interest and withdrawal from the meeting?

‘Rail-roading’ seems a gross understatement for the bullying, power- branded lack of manners and respect exhibited by the Chair, Shefali Begum, who targeted an abrupt, confrontational comment: “ Am I chairing this meeting?” to apparently silence another Cllr, who tried unsuccessfully to receive the planning officers’ rundown.

The filming showed some Key celebratory factions after the meeting. Even Simon Danczuk MP and his committee member Cllr wife were Group Hug shadowing.
Yes. it appeared blatantly political, including a likely trade-off for some future deals.

I’m less shocked at the decision than I am at the apparent bullying, ignorance, bias and arrogance of the Chair and several committee members.

Still, role model council Leader Colin Lambert has set a low bar.. now hovering at rock bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qrt24/The_Planners_Episode_3/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:14 am

Spartacus wrote:
J wrote:RO has previously been denied permission to video council meetings.

What were the reasons given for the refusal, J?
They don't give reasons, Spartacus!

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 am

Mr. Rowlinson, Director of Planning at Rochdale Borough Council, said he thought the show's producers had given a fair assessment of the planning process in Rochdale, that the programme is quite light hearted and he hoped it would get a good reception from viewers. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by cyfrifia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 am

He told the LOCAL news that as well as the Mancunians, Cyfrifia ;-)

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news/77549/the-planners-features-rochdale

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:54 am

One suspects the Director of Planning knew exactly what would be found and was pleased to let the broadcast media illuminate the area.

Worthy of Machievelli - that man should go far.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:16 am

Shocked How does politics work, it's a bit confusing.

Cool Not at all, just remember, people say the opposite of what they mean to make the point they really mean, then nobody knows what people who mean what they say might mean, and that's how politics works.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 am

my feelings exactly JB. is there a process for us to complain to 'Off local gov' or some department about this? once again my departure from the Labour Party gladdens me. poor old Billy Sheerin must be shell shocked.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:54 am

Old Regulator wrote:my feelings exactly JB. is there a process for us to complain to 'Off local gov' or some department about this? once again my departure from the Labour Party gladdens me. poor old Billy Sheerin must be shell shocked.

Someone asked the same question on twitter. Here's Simon Danczuk reply:

@SimonDanczuk
@DeathByUmbongo Write to borough solicitor, feel free to copy me and council leader in."

and here's what Simon had to say about the fuss it has been creating on Twitter:
@SimonDanczuk
Understandable fallout from @BBC #planners. Very badly chaired meeting. Brought embarrassment for Rochdale. Complaints been made for months.

It will be interesting to see how many people take the time to write a letter to the Borough Solicitor? We could ask how many he/she receives but from past experience RMBC will hold back the information.

Perhaps we should draft a letter here and all email a copy?

A search on RMBC website for a Borough Solicitor drew a blank. A google seach came up with Linda Fisher. The email address on the RMBC website for Linda Fisher is :

All a wee bit confusing but then again it's RMBC and I'm not surprise!

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:49 pm

I have not seen it but perhaps if anyone feels that racism and there was an amount of bullying involved. Then those who feel they were offended and felt they were done wrong at the meeting, then should they not make a complaint first through the council complaints procedures.

Then report it to the authorities involved who can take action against the councillors and the council officers involved if there is any evidence to support the action.

Also were local people involved actually represented at the meeting and their views sought if they were against the development?

Looking at what people are saying on here then proper procedures were not followed or acted upon and a review and an investigation is needed into the conduct of the meeting and how the application was passed.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Spartacus wrote:

Someone asked the same question on twitter. Here's Simon Danczuk reply:

@SimonDanczuk
@DeathByUmbongo Write to borough solicitor, feel free to copy me and council leader in."

and here's what Simon had to say about the fuss it has been creating on Twitter:
@SimonDanczuk
Understandable fallout from @BBC #planners. Very badly chaired meeting. Brought embarrassment for Rochdale. Complaints been made for months.

Whatever Simon Danczuk appears now to be saying on Twitter, he is clearly shown at the meeting clapping as the piss-poor decision to give the application the go-ahead was announced.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Yes, he is obviously trying to distance himself from this fiasco in light of the negativity surrounding it, he is clearly back peddling but was filmed smiling and clapping the outcome whilst his wife sat on the panel, what a hypocrite!

Still, it probably earned them plenty of votes bounce

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Perhaps he too was paying out the hangman's rope.

It's going to be an interesting few months.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:35 pm

One part of this programme not commented on was the planning officer Rebecca Coley saying during a TV interview that councillors make political decisions. Before everyone shouts "they do" can I clarify that whilst officers may feel there are political decisions I have never heard one say it publicly. She may be reflecting peoples views but I will be surprised if she does not get into trouble for saying it.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum