Child poverty in Rochdale

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Child poverty in Rochdale

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Around 40% of the children of Central Rochdale, Smallbridge & Firgrove, Kingsway, Milkstone & Deeplish and West Middleton live in poverty, according to a new report.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/78047/child-poverty-in-rochdale

Back to top Go down

Re: Child poverty in Rochdale

Post  Atlas on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm

According to the criteria required a household under 16k per annum is living in poverty - one assumes 2 adults plus 2 children. In which case it's god help threequarters of the popuation. As already said before (many times) poverty is relative. I remember a relative poverty that would make the vast majority of subscribers to this forum shiver in their shoes. But we didn't (even then) consider ourselves deprived or poor. That was ascribed to people in Africa and elsewhere. We have a very long way to go in this country before 'poor & poverty' can be truly descriptive of the fact. Meanwhile - everyones standard of living will drop and continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Get used to having less.
In some cases it will be an healthier option. Wink
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:33 pm

We all know there is poverty in the UK. Though just how do you measure poverty?

I can remember someone playing heck once about how much it cost these days to feed a family and was costing more each week. Though with some people you have to hold your breath when they are telling you all this. They will have money to buy fags and the usual cans of beer, along with the the latest DVDS, computers, mobile phones, and latest TV models watching all the sports on Sky etc.

I have no doubt there are people out there who are struggling and through no fault of their own with job losses and illnesses and all the other factors that go with child poverty.

Though how do we measure poverty in this country compared to say seeing the starving children in Africa and other much poorer nations in the world?
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Apart from a 'hidden' few, we don't. Wage differentials and 'troughing' have in the first to be narrowed and in the second abolished before a fairer society can emerge. More 'trickle-down' enhanced by positive action is required. Regardless of the far-right and their protestations about 'producing more in content and profits' it is only when we 'act' against unfairness will the balances be more acceptable to the majority and a feeling of worth and well-being return. It is true to say that the haves and the have-nots is greater in proportion now than when I was born during the war. It was not the intention of our parents to allow this differntial to slip so lamentably. Things must alter or I fear only bad will come from it all. We need strong moral government regardless of party. Politics (as we know it) has had its day. It's time for 'doing the right thing' not following the destructive/acceptable 'party' line. But from where and from whom - - - ???
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Atlas wrote:Apart from a 'hidden' few, we don't. Wage differentials and 'troughing' have in the first to be narrowed and in the second abolished before a fairer society can emerge. More 'trickle-down' enhanced by positive action is required. Regardless of the far-right and their protestations about 'producing more in content and profits' it is only when we 'act' against unfairness will the balances be more acceptable to the majority and a feeling of worth and well-being return. It is true to say that the haves and the have-nots is greater in proportion now than when I was born during the war. It was not the intention of our parents to allow this differntial to slip so lamentably. Things must alter or I fear only bad will come from it all. We need strong moral government regardless of party. Politics (as we know it) has had its day. It's time for 'doing the right thing' not following the destructive/acceptable 'party' line. But from where and from whom?
Rare I find myself entirely agreeing with you, Atlas, but I could not agree more with this post.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:02 pm

J wrote:
Atlas wrote:Apart from a 'hidden' few, we don't. Wage differentials and 'troughing' have in the first to be narrowed and in the second abolished before a fairer society can emerge. More 'trickle-down' enhanced by positive action is required. Regardless of the far-right and their protestations about 'producing more in content and profits' it is only when we 'act' against unfairness will the balances be more acceptable to the majority and a feeling of worth and well-being return. It is true to say that the haves and the have-nots is greater in proportion now than when I was born during the war. It was not the intention of our parents to allow this differntial to slip so lamentably. Things must alter or I fear only bad will come from it all. We need strong moral government regardless of party. Politics (as we know it) has had its day. It's time for 'doing the right thing' not following the destructive/acceptable 'party' line. But from where and from whom?
Rare I find myself entirely agreeing with you, Atlas, but I could not agree more with this post.

Excellent post, Atlas.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top