Competitive utilities

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Competitive utilities

Post  ajsmith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm

So British Gas being pilloried for making money. Well guess what folks, they're not a charity and we're not communists. Anybody make money out of the privatisation of utilities back when? Anyone complain about nationalising utilities at the time? Don't you know we've created a competitive market for gas and electric? We reap what we sow. Don't like it then switch. No such fuss when people stampede each other to get the latest Jobsian i-gadget and Apple make gazillions. Lights the blue touch paper, stands well back....

ajsmith
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Re: Competitive utilities

Post  Hinch on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:33 pm

I used to be a communist. Does that count?

Mind you, I was only a member for a month.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  ajsmith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 pm

I think we must have lived parallel lives, I too have flirted with the red side :-) Have come to the view that extremists of any sort and men with silly hats are not to be trusted at all.

ajsmith
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 pm

The comment that they must return a (competitive) profit to continue to supply is frightening.

I would never have privatised and would re-nationalise tomorrow on the grounds of national security.
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  ajsmith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 pm

johnb wrote:The comment that they must return a (competitive) profit to continue to supply is frightening.

I would never have privatised and would re-nationalise tomorrow on the grounds of national security.

Trouble is, we don't have energy security anymore. We shut the pits, converted to burn gas to produce electric and used our North Sea reserves, and we now rely on the market (middle east and Russia) for energy security. This will go nuclear if we're not careful!

ajsmith
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Nothing wrong with nuclear - but not with EDF as project lead.
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  ajsmith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 pm

johnb wrote:Nothing wrong with nuclear - but not with EDF as project lead.

Seems like the best worst option at the moment, it ain't gonna happen with renewables that's for sure. Agree on EDF :-)

ajsmith
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 am

Personally I believe that the privatisation of gas, electricity, water and railways have been an unmitigated disaster and in this respect, I am more than happy to follow my former ideology.

The price we pay for our fuel has less to do with the cost of production and more to do with paying out vast boardroom salaries and keeping shareholders happy.

No, I did not buy shares in any of these companies and yes, I did complain at the time.

The banking scandals have taken the focus away from the various scandals that have rocked the utility companies over the years.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:27 am

Just had my annual water statement, my monthly direct debits are now £42.94, there is an option to change to a meter free of charge which can be removed up to 13 months after fitting if you're not happy. Might be worth thinking about, what experience have others had with water meters?
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

Yes, I got that letter and am considering changing over to a water meter as I live alone. Thirteen months is a long time if you feel you are paying over the odds though.
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:26 pm

My metered payment is under £17 pm.

It does depend how many people live at the address.
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Mine is also under £17 per month without a meter...I believe they base it on the value of your property. Blimey Charly, you must live in a mansion?! affraid
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Far from it!
My house is the same as Keiths except I have an extra loo and my son lives with me but I cant see it making that much difference, from £17 to £43! Shocked
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Me neither Charly, the amount you are paying sounds an awful lot, might be worth your looking into? Sad
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention is I had the bath tub removed and a shower enclosure fitted so thats an extra saving of water!
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Poppyanna555 wrote:Yes, I got that letter and am considering changing over to a water meter as I live alone. Thirteen months is a long time if you feel you are paying over the odds though.

I think you can change back any time within 13 months I dont think you have to wait that time.
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 pm

we had a meter fitted 3 years ago and our bill is 15 pm. one thing a meter does is make you watch how much water is wasted, 2 litres down the plug waiting for hot water to wash pots, we collect in a jug and use later, kettle and cooking. put plug into bath before turning tap and all kinds of hints available from Matron.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:38 am

Yes Charly. Meter in your circumstances will be beneficial. Your bill should not exceed 350 per annum providing you do as others have mentioned. Don't waste water. It is and will increasingly become a very sought after commodity. In fact future wars may be caused by the lack of it. There are already disputes in various parts of the world, some ending in killings, over this very subject. Changed my parents over some years back and halved their water costs in one go. Go for it kid - and tell the boy - water don't seep from trees. Wink
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:45 am

Talking about 'utilities' and the cost of living takes me back some decades to a time when the household incomes were split somewhat differently - in the 50s between 40 and 50 percent of income went on household food and accessories (soaps etc|). A further 35 percent went on house costs (rents etc) and 15 percent on utilities. Leaving almost zilch for holidays and luxuries. How does that equate with your present expenditures. (Remember that less than 20 percent owned their own house at that time). Comments - ta. Smile
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top