Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A&E closure at North Manchester?

5 posters

Go down

A&E closure at North Manchester? Empty A&E closure at North Manchester?

Post  Jeanie Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 pm

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/health/ae-north-manchester-general-hospital-1722220

Have they not listened to the problems caused since Rochdale lost it's A&E and the massive effect it has had on Oldham with Ambulances constantly queuing at the doors with patients on board !
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

A&E closure at North Manchester? Empty Re: A&E closure at North Manchester?

Post  keithatrochdale Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:28 pm

It was bound to happen; which one after this?

Last edited by keithatrochdale on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm

We cannot have another closure they are not coping as it is. People travel further for an emergency and to take longer to get to an hospital. People will die. May be longer queues and also staff could not cope in other areas as it is with the extra patient numbers.

I hope the local MPs and the public come out in the thousands to fight this. THIS IS ONE STEP TO FAR. SHAME 0N THOSE WHO HAVE PROPOSED THIS. iT IS OUR HEALTH SERVICE NOT THEIRS TO SLASH AND BURN AS SEEN FIT OR AT THEIR WHIM.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 am

Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:10 am

I read the 'story' about A&E at NMGH. Not a story at all in my book. Just a load of unhelpful speculation.

It has about as much substance as the scrolling banner at the top of this page.

Of course, nobody can say with 100% certainty what may or may not happen in the future but all this sort of stuff does is to get people's knickers in a twist over nothing.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Didn't he send a very similar letter to staff on the rumours of Rochdale Infirmary closures !
Didn't he stand up and get very angry at Rochdale Town Hall when questioned and said these rumours were untrue ?

Did it not happen to Rochdale Infirmary ?

Last edited by Jeanie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment)
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes he did!

And it is recorded in the written records of the Health and Scrutiny meeting.

Last edited by keithatrochdale on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Yes Jeanie and Keith you are correct. I also remember that the Silver Heart Unit at Rochdale was going to be a centre of excellence. After all the promises that were made it was still moved.

After all the promises made we lost a lot of services for Rochdale.

I know where you are coming from Hinch but where did the rumour come from in the first place?

They made promises before and promised Rochdale so much but in the end we still lost the A&E at Rochdale Infirmary. Is history going to be repeated at North Manchester General Hospital.

The managers saying there is no truth in the rumour but still went ahead like they did in Rochdale. Can we trust them that this will not go the same way at NMGH?

Though rumours do not help the staff at the hospital, but it did not help the staff at Rochdale Infimary either did it.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:Yes Jeanie and Keith you are correct. I also remember that the Silver Heart Unit at Rochdale was going to be a centre of excellence. After all the promises that were made it was still moved.

After all the promises made we lost a lot of services for Rochdale.

I know where you are coming from Hinch but where did the rumour come from in the first place?

They made promises before and promised Rochdale so much but in the end we still lost the A&E at Rochdale Infirmary. Is history going to be repeated at North Manchester General Hospital.

The managers saying there is no truth in the rumour but still went ahead like they did in Rochdale. Can we trust them that this will not go the same way at NMGH?

Though rumours do not help the staff at the hospital, but it did not help the staff at Rochdale Infimary either did it.

Very true and watch this space lets see if once again my scaremongering turns out as true as the last ones !!!
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Yes Jeanie as they say, "WATCH THIS SPACE"
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 pm

So come on then Jeanie, get your tea-leaves out and give us a date of closure.

All services are being looked at across the region but no specific plans have been drawn up and when they are, it won't be John Saxby making the decision.

Rumour and idle conjecture are no replacement for hard facts.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Hinch wrote:So come on then Jeanie, get your tea-leaves out and give us a date of closure.

All services are being looked at across the region but no specific plans have been drawn up and when they are, it won't be John Saxby making the decision.

Rumour and idle conjecture are no replacement for hard facts.

Now you know I can't do that and it was stated that "it was idle rumour" regarding loss of services at Rochdale Infirmary and Fairfield, there were no hard facts then either but it happened as it will at North Manchester affraid
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:53 pm

So what do the tea leaves say Jeanie!
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 pm

cyclops See what you have done now jeanie. You have frightened Hinch off. affraid What a Face Shocked
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 am

Just to make it plain here, I am not having a go at Jeanie. Her credentials at fighting for the NHS are well-established.

Neither have I 'gone soft' on John Saxby, the guy who was instrumental in my decision to retire after a few things he objected to appeared in my trade union magazine. (Not least a caricature of a 'Fry's Five Boys chocolate bar on the front page containing photos of some of the Board with appropriate mottos underneath!)

Neither am I saying that the A&E at NMGH will be safe until it crumbles into dust at the end of the world. What I am saying is that I have investigated this thoroughly and can find no basis in fact for this non-story.

THE NHS changes all the time; it has to in order to keep pace with changing need and with advances in technology. The 'Silver Heart Unit' at Rochdale, in its day was one of the best; if not THE best' in the country but improvements in technique and advances in research meant that it was no longer at the cutting edge. This was based on patient outcomes rather than local pride.

Some rumours, of course, turn out to be well-founded. Others less so. John Saxby and his fellow Directors do not have the power to close down A&E. That is up to the Strategic Health Authority. Of course they will look at Emergency Care throughout the Region as part of the Healthier Together consultation. The whole bloody NHS is under constant review for chrissakes.

Sometimes I feel that people actually prefer to wrap themselves in a comfort-blanket of fear and trepidation rather than study the actual facts. Still, it sells newspapers.

Maybe at some stage the A&E at NMGH may close. God knows that the state of the old Victorian ward blocks there are a cause for concern that nobody has a clue (or cash) how to tackle. I know that 'we have no plans' draws howls of suspicion but in this case there is no hard evidence to suppose that this is true. I could spend my life chasing whispers and rumours but without evidence to back them up, reporting them is just adding to the general hysteria.

As and when there are any plans to close it, I will be, as I always have been, first on the picket line with my Thermos flask and canvas chair.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Hinch wrote:Sometimes I feel that people actually prefer to wrap themselves in a comfort-blanket of fear and trepidation rather than study the actual facts. Still, it sells newspapers.

Many of the issues facing the country are being played out and affecting people in Rochdale and area in a very real way. So much is hidden, and reliable information is hard to uncover. There must be plenty of scope and so much for an investigative journalist to find out, could do with a team of them really.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Investigative journalism? Are there any left?

Not really seen any since the Sunday Times 'Insight Team' was broken up.

Trouble is, you can do all the investigating you want but at the end of the day, people will believe what they choose to and anything that does not confirm their darkest suspicions is ignored.

By the way, I am not a journalist but I wish I was. I'm a reporter and a humble scribbler.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Not many news organisations these days are prepared to keep a team of journalists on full pay working on stories that can take months to develop and often lead to nothing.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes, I can appreciate investigative journalism isn't commercially viable, a pity as so much needs following up and reporting. Unless someone does that sort of work, the public get very little information really. It's annoying when you see things that are blatantly wrong going on, but to investigate them would be quite a job.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Leveson isn't going to make things any easier.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down