Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Cameron's Immigration Speech

+2
cyfrifia
Poppyanna555
6 posters

Go down

David Cameron's Immigration Speech Empty David Cameron's Immigration Speech

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Just watched him making his speech on immigration changes, i'm no authority on this but it does sound promising, at least it's a start! Some might say though that he is 'closing the stable door after the horse has bolted' and, I believe there is something in that.

What do others think?
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

David Cameron's Immigration Speech Empty Re: David Cameron's Immigration Speech

Post  cyfrifia Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:51 pm

I think it's a political speech, in response to growing support for UKIP, and will have little or no effect on immigration.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Yes Cyfrifia, I am beginning to wonder myself as I continue to follow this news report, this certainly seems to be the opinion of a certain UKIP spokesman.

I guess that Cameron could indeed be running scared, the UKIP party certainly appears to be gathering momentum!

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Some welcome stuff with regard to abuse of the NHS from non-EU nationals. Basically, at present they have to whistle for any money back and it costs more to chase it than anything recovered. Paying medical insurance up front could stop a lot of this although how it works in practice is anyone's guess.

As to the ability to speak English and cutting JSA after 6 months, this is unlikely to work but the soundbites will appeal to Daily Mail aficionados.

Much of what is said in the run-up to the election will be uttered to persuade would-be defectors to UKIP that the Tories really are the answer to all ills.

It is obvious that immigration and related issues will be the ground on which the election will be fought with welcome attention being kept away from bankers and the piss-poor economy.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Strikes me that it would be great if doctors, etc spoke and understood English - don't know why this has not been attended to before!

keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Been reading the Daily Mail Keith?

I know that the country is supposed to be awash with doctors who can't speak passable English but in 35 years in the NHS working alongside them, I never had any problems. The vast majority trained in UK universities so I suppose the prolonged training must leave them with some language skills.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:47 pm

I agree with Hinch. Got to find some scapegoats or else we might all notice that it's the politicians who should be blamed for the mess we're in.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 pm

It reads like “mainstream” parties are in some kind of match for voter-appeal policies, each one nervous of UKIP’s appeal and one bottom line - that several policies are limited by EU freedom of movement Regs.

I see Keith Vaz is contributing his own particular brand of insight and rhetoric, again

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 pm

The politicians say it's not their fault, they were lied to by civil servants. Those poor politicians had no idea what was going on.

"MPs have launched a blistering attack on the highly-paid officers in charge of border control after concluding they have been putting out false information for the past six years about Britain’s staggering backlog of asylum cases, which stands at well over 300,000 – more than the entire population of Iceland."

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at-a-glance/general-news/civil-servants-lied-to-mps-about-immigration-chaos-1-5525855

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:10 am

'Yes Minister'. You didn't really think it was just a sit-com did you. affraid
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down