Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teenagers these days.

+3
Hinch
Dalelad
cyfrifia
7 posters

Go down

Teenagers these days. Empty Teenagers these days.

Post  cyfrifia Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 am

Teenagers these days seem to face a hostile environment, a bike ride in the park on a sunday afternoon, threats of being stabbed.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/79013/teenagers-threatened-and-had-their-bikes-and-phones-stolen

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Teenagers these days. Empty Re: Teenagers these days.

Post  Dalelad Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm

I remember being threatened by older kids with weapons when I was a lad in the early 70s. The only difference between then and now is that I never had any valuables to hand over.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:28 pm

It was just sticks and stones when I was a lad. That's made me feel old. Shocked

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm

The good old Rochdale Observer used to have a firm line on youngsters years ago. 'Teenagers' were nice, clean kids who won awards and played table tennis for their youth club.

The word 'youths' was used to describe young vandals, delinquents and criminals, never 'teenagers'..

Stories often started, ”A gang of youths..."
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Sadly it is a minority of teenagers doing the nasty's which quite rightly needs to be in the news and hits the headlines, but sadly the good stories don't get told often enough or highlighted as they should and there really are some good ones out there regarding our youth and the work they do Wink
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:37 pm

You are correct Jeanie it is the minority who give the teenagers a bad name, but it was the same years ago. Though now some seem more savage with it these days.

There are a lot of good news stories out there about teenagers.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm

The armed robbers were described as two men aged 18 to 20, teenagers were the victims of the robbery. Yes, ok 18 is technically teenage, but only just.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:28 am

As those of you who have read my books will know. Rochdale's streets were never 'safe' for the 'teenager'. In my day it was gangs of Teddy Boys whose choice of weapon was the knuckle duster and the bike chain (although I did know of one idiot who walked around with a machete). You learned to run fast and keep your wits about you - especially after a night at the Carlton if you left that place in one piece -. Thugs have always been with us. Nutters too. It was part of 'growing up' - if you made it that far. Keep smiling. Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am

That, Atlas, makes it sound as if the people of Rochdale are their own worst enemy, and always have been. pale

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:00 am

Atlas's books are very funny. Only read the first two but they are a good read.

He was a mucky little scrote. Awakened some brilliant memories and my own upbringing was very similar though not quite as seamy. I must read the rest.

Available on Amazon under his nom de plume of Atlas d'Four.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:30 am

Being a "mucky little scrote" in a 'hard' but colorful post-industrial society may make for an entertaining read and some nostalgia, but, it's not really a useful cultural tradition to carry forward for the future, or, is it?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 am

Perhaps we need to take a lesson from history?

Ensure that all our youngsters are well scrubbed, morally sound and socially and politically 'on-message'.

We need to enrol them in a uniformed national youth movement such as the Soviet Pioneers or the Hitler Youth and the League of German Maidens.

That way we can turn out a sound product and ensure that mucky scrotes such as Atlas are purged or re-educated.

It could be a whole Brave New World.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 am

An interesting, but slightly traumatic glimpse into your world of nightmares there Hinch.

Teenagers these days. Harry-Hill-on-TV-Burp-001
What are the chances of that happening then?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 am

cyfrifia wrote:Being a "mucky little scrote" in a 'hard' but colorful post-industrial society may make for an entertaining read and some nostalgia, but, it's not really a useful cultural tradition to carry forward for the future, or, is it?

Oh heck...here we go, in my day we always did the right thing, never gave cheek to neighbours or did knock-a-door-run. Mad
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 am

This thread started with "Teenagers these days seem to face a hostile environment." That is, in defence of teenagers, sympathising with the hostile adult social environment they have to grow up in now. Are you reading it as critical of teenagers, Charly?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 am

It is a long time snce Charly was a teenager. affraid
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 am

No, I was going off your comment about Atlas' writings of his youth in Rochdale

"an entertaining read and some nostalgia, but, it's not really a useful cultural tradition to carry forward for the future, or, is it?"

It was his life he was writing about I dont think it was meant to be an example of what a role model should be.

Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 am

teamplayer2 wrote:It is a long time snce Charly was a teenager. affraid

Certainly was TP...but having children in my 30's and 40's kept me in the loop of teenagers lives so to speak, now I have an 18 year old grandson so I'm still around teenagers daily
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am

Oh right. my comment "an entertaining read and some nostalgia, but, it's not really a useful cultural tradition to carry forward for the future, or, is it?" Isn't critical of teenagers, either, but it is critical of the that hostile culture of knuckledusters, bicycle chains, and now knives. That isn't useful.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 am

I can now admit that it was me and my gang who built a cannon out of a car tyre pump, the gunpowder from 25 bangers with a brass bed-knob as the projectile. We used a piece of chamois leather to ensure a tight fit in the barrel.

Totally destroyed the plate glass window of the Co-op shop on Spotland Road. (We were aiming it elsewhere at the time.)

Mind you, the poor guy who drew the short straw was the one chosen to fire it. He ended up with flashburns, no eyebrows and a fingernail blown clean off.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Well we can have our moments when we are young. Never thought you would get up to tricks like that Hinch.

Anyone else want to confess? Wink
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 am

We weren't angels (although I always looked like one). We did many bad and naughty things. Some criminal too. We fought amongst ourselves and rarely went beyond our own age groupings. We certainly didn't go around coshing old ladies - that was considered cowardly and pathetic. But we did rob and steal and do damage and break the 'laws' in many, many ways. Is that an example for today or tomorrow. No of course not. But I would never expect 'kids' to be anywhere near 'perfect' nor would I expect them not to get up to some 'bad' things. It's part of growing up - and always has been.
I don't blame the kids. I blame the 'state' first and foremost and the parents next. Insufficient 'sanctions' provide for insufficient control. End of. Sixteen year olds with cuboards full of guns - what were the parents doing? Inbuilt laws that say you can buy machine pistols over the supermarket counter - we were lucky to be able to buy catapults under 18? It's a lack of care and too much individual freedom without reference to the rest and a cosseted mindset that provides many of today's problems. Freedom is all very well - but it comes with responsibility. Somebody forgot to tell them/ and impose that.
By the way my books are nowhere near as serious or straight-laced as the above. Wink affraid
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:57 am

I was a blond blue-eyed boy and butter would not melt in my mouth. I was never in trouble but pigs might fly as well. Though Hinch has seen a pig and a pheasant run past him.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:00 am

I suspect teamplayer you were somewhat akin to me. There are 'rules' to the 'game' - one is 'if you can't do the time, don't do the crime'. Another - and far more important is not to break the eleventh commandment - 'Thou shalt not get caught'. Fair fortune - Wink Wink Wink Very Happy
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down