Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale Being Positive

+4
Hinch
teamplayer2
johnb
Spartacus
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rochdale Being Positive Empty Rochdale Being Positive

Post  Spartacus Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Not sure if this link will work if you are not signed in to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=355411487911043&set=vb.310406559078203&type=2&theater

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Rochdale Being Positive Empty Re: Rochdale Being Positive

Post  Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Yes, the link works if pasted direct into your Internet Browser; there's no need to be signed into Facebook.

An attempt that highlights our enduring Pennine country surroundings and the Blackstone Edge vista on Rochdale.

Idea I'd have thought our secondary schools, or the 6th Form, or local College students, could all "independently" contribute to something like this as part of several curriculum subjects next term.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 pm

I Saw it on Facebook. Think I'm going to say I come from Manchester from now on...
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 pm

johnb wrote:I Saw it on Facebook. Think I'm going to say I come from Manchester from now on...

johnb:
Which salubrious part of Manchester would that be from then ?

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm

There are a lot of good pictures on there.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:18 am

What an awful video! Did Debbie O'Brien have a hand in it? Spelling and grammar on the subtitles would scare any would-be settlers away.

Yet another site devoted to Rochdale that refuses to recognise any problems.

One poster was mentioning all the great local pubs. I nearly split my sides.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 am

teamplayer2 wrote:There are a lot of good pictures on there.

I agree. Some great photos though Milkstone and Deeplish sadly under-represented.

Some of the moorland and Healey Dell shots are great and remind me how good the areas surrounding the town are.

Particularly interesting is the old Moorcock pub destroyed in target practice in WWII.

I just detest and resent the inference that anyone who is occasionally less than gushing in our praise for the place must be 'the enemy' in some way.

If you don't recognise and face up to the mistakes of the past and present, you are doomed forever to repeat them.

As for the video comparing Rochdale to the Seven Wonders of the World, I don't mind a bit of cleverly constructed hyperbole now and then but...

The spelling and grammar are appalling and will confirm in the viewer's mind that we are semi-educated morons.

OK spending a fortune producing and editing a video but a couple of quid spent on an English primer before they added the subtitles might have been well worth it.

'Esplenade'; I ask you. It's 'Esplanade' geddit? Comes under 'E' in that big book with all the words in it. And they're trying to get it aired on North West Tonight.

They must be joking!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Reading your last post Hinch I was a bit mixed first time on reading. Reading again a second time I have to agree.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:There are a lot of good pictures on there.
" Hinch wrote: I agree. Some great photos, though Milkstone and Deeplish sadly under-represented

Perhaps that Ward wont be under-represented for too long though. It already appears to be well-reported locally as a 'highly favoured' place for it's elected Councillors and local publicists' Litter Clearing and photo shoot-PR sessions.

The local rag reports the whole Topic tomorrow, starting as a large front-page feature, introduced as follows: -

'An internet campaign has been launched to help put the pride back into out town .... and it's set to go viral'

'Rochdalians are being urged to film themselves explaining why they love their home town ... or simply shouting ' I Love Rochdale.' The aim is to create a montage of accompanying clips which will be uploaded onto the internet to show the world --------------------------- '
' etcetera

Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Who is this disgusting, bloated old fart slagging off our fair town?
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:39 am

Bless! It sounds like a succinct confession of Rochdale Love,
from " a Man Of Few Words "

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:40 pm

His conservatory windows need a good clean and that summer hat looks decidedly camp.

Rochdale is far better off without his sort if you ask me.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Bless him. Rolling Eyes
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 pm

The commercial T-shirts, mugs and even I Love Rochdale cup cakes, I kid you not, are now all available to purchase ... on line.

I understand there is absolutely no truth in a story that a " Calendar Boy " sketch and calendar, looking to raise money for a street refuse cleaning team, is under initial planning deliberation. What a relief !

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 am

Right you lot here is a chance to shine in the good old town of Rochdale. Rochdale, Past, Present and Future are holding some sort of do at the Flying Horse in Rochdale on the 17th April from 6.30pm.

They are going to invite people to contribute to help make or write a song that is good about Rochdale.

So here is your chance. It is OK I am not going to sing because I cannot even sing for my own pint. You would not want to hear me sing anyway. affraid

Or have you got better things to do with your own time? Wink Smile Basketball
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am

[size=18]Now if I let my poetic juices flow, I could have some fun with this!

Look what they've done to my town, Ma'.
Look what they've done to my town.
Well it used to be, a place to see
But they've brought it to its knees Ma'.
Look what they've done to my town.

Maybe I'll write a good book Ma'.
Maybe I'll write a good book.
Telling how it was, they tore it down
Before its heart they took Ma'.
Maybe I'll write a good book. Etc.
[/size
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:12 am

You have to be positive. There are asking for volunteers for the website. Asking for moderators for one. New job for you Admin.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 pm

It would not interest me or any of the Rochdale Talk Moderation Team Teamplayer2.

On here, we do not have a line to toe and the Mods are specifically chosen because of their broad life experience and different points of view and are free to excercise these as they see fit. We do not have to be either positive or negative or toe some sort of party line. The four of us differ on many issues and come from very different walks of life. We hope this gives the forum more breadth and depth.

Providing that posters are not libellous or overtly racisist or sexist etc and are not being obsene or advertising their own business, they are free to post on whatever they like. Rochdale Past, Present and Future is a sincere attempt to give Rochdalians a voice but by insisting only on the positive, it is a voice stifled at birth. You can't pretend to give people a voice and then allow them only to raise it in support of one particular point of view.

There is much good in Rochdale and much that it is remarkable and unique and things to be proud of. Sadly, there has and continues to be many issues of genuine concern and those expressing them will always find a voice on this forum.

I think it was hinch who said something along the lines of us being doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past if we do not face up to them and try to address them. He is right.

I think that you can also show your love of a town by raising concerns when mistakes are being made in an effort to get people to change tack or think again.

That recent music video extolling the virtues of Rochdale was well-meaning but shambolic in execution. If it ever got an airing on TV, it would make us a laughing stock yet we are seemingly expected to stand by in rapt admiration, as we were with Debbie O'Brien's presentation on the Feelgood Festival.

There is much good going on in Rochdale and many people in arts, politics and business working hard to make things happen. There is also a blind, lemming-like belief by many key movers and shakers that everything in the garden is lovely and we should even increase the speed at which we run for the cliff edge.

Rant over. Carry on!

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Have to agree with your comments on the stiffling of anything less than glowing comments on the Facebook page Admin. Ive had one or two posts removerd

I had, and another poster, a colourful exchange with Greg Couzons on the thread about One Riverside over the weekend . Everything I posted was fact and not spun out and just corrected and pointed a few facts about what Greg had posted. A lot of the pictures is about the countryside. Lets be honest you seen one view of the Viaduct you have seen them all. But it is like we have put all our eggs in one basket on how to save Rochdale. Promote a windswept hill!! Along with an office block that is neither use nor ornament for attracting shoppers.

As I've said before Rochdale is always in the news for the wrong reasons- now we have the music video. I can just imagine the comments on Youtube for the video.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Admin wrote:It would not interest me or any of the Rochdale Talk Moderation Team Teamplayer2.

On here, we do not have a line to toe and the Mods are specifically chosen because of their broad life experience and different points of view and are free to excercise these as they see fit. We do not have to be either positive or negative or toe some sort of party line. The four of us differ on many issues and come from very different walks of life. We hope this gives the forum more breadth and depth.

Providing that posters are not libellous or overtly racisist or sexist etc and are not being obsene or advertising their own business, they are free to post on whatever they like. Rochdale Past, Present and Future is a sincere attempt to give Rochdalians a voice but by insisting only on the positive, it is a voice stifled at birth. You can't pretend to give people a voice and then allow them only to raise it in support of one particular point of view.

There is much good in Rochdale and much that it is remarkable and unique and things to be proud of. Sadly, there has and continues to be many issues of genuine concern and those expressing them will always find a voice on this forum.

I think it was hinch who said something along the lines of us being doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past if we do not face up to them and try to address them. He is right.

I think that you can also show your love of a town by raising concerns when mistakes are being made in an effort to get people to change tack or think again.

That recent music video extolling the virtues of Rochdale was well-meaning but shambolic in execution. If it ever got an airing on TV, it would make us a laughing stock yet we are seemingly expected to stand by in rapt admiration, as we were with Debbie O'Brien's presentation on the Feelgood Festival.

There is much good going on in Rochdale and many people in arts, politics and business working hard to make things happen. There is also a blind, lemming-like belief by many key movers and shakers that everything in the garden is lovely and we should even increase the speed at which we run for the cliff edge.

Rant over. Carry on!

I agree with you admin and just to point out a couple of things to you I posted a couple of items myself on the Rochdale,Past Presernt and future forum showing pictures of shops that had closed in recent times. I had them removed just like Chill mentioned with his post. I have mentioned like Hinch before about that we have to face our present troubles not to repeat them and learn.

It was just tongue in cheek about going to be a moderator at the Rochdale Past, Present and Future. Though again with Chill, Hinch and yourself I have to agree with what you have said and what has already been mentioned before on Rochdale Talk.

If I wound you up about any point I made on this recent subject then I am sorry. First round on me drunken

TP
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Admin wrote: ------------- Rochdale Past, Present and Future is a sincere attempt to give Rochdalians a voice but, by insisting only on the positive, it is a voice stifled at birth. You can't pretend to give people a voice and then allow them only to raise it in support of one particular point of view.

------------------ I think that you can also show your love of a town by raising concerns when mistakes are being made in an effort to get people to change tack or think again.

Third shopping centre in Rochdale town centre seen as a poorly conceived project: -

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/127/council-watch/79471/row-over-town-centre-development-plans

Seasoned and well-salaried in directorships of The Regeneration of Rochdale for over 20 years, John (Lawrence) Hudson, the Chief Executive of Rochdale Development Agency, was quoted as saying. “We are doing this with our eyes wide open.” ! !

There appears to be some cracking early "retirement" deals available anyway, in Rochdale establishment circles, if public embarrassment of 'Chiefs' happens.

Last edited by Mojo Hill on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Big do on Wednesday. Anyone going!
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:Big do on Wednesday. Anyone going!

Charly & Me special invites Wink

Last edited by Jeanie on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment)
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm

I went on Wednesday night to the do at the Flying Horse. I must admit I quite enjoyed it and took some of my collections down on the night.

Met a lot of very nice people and quite an enjoyable evening.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Yet another Rochdale (Positive comments only!) page.

The council must love it. As for that "I'm Going Back to Rochdale" song, what's this about the 'derelict canal'? I thought it had been reopened years ago.

Why can't praise and criticism both be valued if lessons really are to be learned?

So send your picturesque and distant views of Rochdale and your memories of a long dead past to:-

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-Calm-And-Love-Rochdale/496296820405517
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next