Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hitch hiker's view of Rochdale

4 posters

Go down

Hitch hiker's view of Rochdale Empty Hitch hiker's view of Rochdale

Post  Hinch Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Did something I've not done in years today. I picked up a hitch hiker in Mellor Street. He had been trying to find work in Rochdale without success and had been sleeping rough. Said he had come up from Southampton following the death of his wife.

Looked as if he had mental health problems and smelled decidedly fruity. He was heading for Accrington where he had heard there were jobs going nearby at the Holland's pie factory. I dropped him off there and, although he did not ask me for any money, gave him a fiver to get a hot meal and salve my liberal conscience.

He said that Rochdale was in a bad way and that half of those he had met were in a worse state than he was.

He had a bag full of maps and had covered most of the country over the past few months.

How we sometimes take our comfortable homes and our nice soft beds for granted.

Hope he washes his hands before making any pies.

Last edited by Hinch on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Hitch hiker's view of Rochdale Empty Re: Hitch hiker's view of Rochdale

Post  Jeanie Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Just so bloody sad that we live in this poverty on our own doorsteps yet still continue to give billions abroad ?
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:42 pm

No, if you travel, you will see that where we give aid, the poverty is unimaginably greater than here. Poverty, in the context of the UK is grossly overused.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 am

johnb wrote:No, if you travel, you will see that where we give aid, the poverty is unimaginably greater than here. Poverty, in the context of the UK is grossly overused.

Sadly, the use of aid money to relieve poverty is often questionable, like:

UK gives £19million aid to South Africa - its president spends £17.5million on his palace

By Barbara Jones
London Daily Mail

It is a nation racked by poverty, where 13 million people survive on less than £1 a day, and two million have no access to a toilet.

Yet as his people struggle in squalor, South African president Jacob Zuma has sparked outrage by spending £17.5 million to upgrade a rural family home. Lavish works - which include the construction of 31 new houses, an underground bunker accessed by lifts and a helipad - will cost almost as much as the £19 million British taxpayers send to South Africa in annual aid.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 am

There is too much of the 'Danegeld' tradition in foreign aid decisions made by government. Private charities get the money more directly to those who need it.

In contrast to the settled 'large family on benefits', a single man travelling to find work, like Hinch's hitchiker may find it very difficult to access or get by on benefits, or housing if he does find a job somewhere.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:20 pm

If he is already driven to rough sleeping, his chances of getting treatment for his health problems will be severely compromised and his life expectancy set to be reduced by several decades.

With the welfare reforms just kicking in, there will be many more people aimlessly tramping from town to town. Well, the Tories have always set a lot of store by Victorian Values.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Maybe forum members should get together to do an update of Peter Kay's 'Amarillo' video on an 'I Love Rochdale' theme?

When the day is dawning,
On a cold, wet Rochdale morning.

I could give my sense of irony full rein...

Hear those sirens wailing
Another dozen groomers they're jailing...

The possibilities are endless.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down