Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RMBC and Colin Lambert to be sued for libel

+9
teamplayer2
Atlas
Prudence Tempered
past it
southernbelle
Poppyanna555
Charly
Hinch
Admin
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RMBC and Colin Lambert to be sued for libel Empty RMBC and Colin Lambert to be sued for libel

Post  Admin Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

RMBC and Colin Lambert to be sued for libel Empty Re: RMBC and Colin Lambert to be sued for libel

Post  Hinch Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Have to say, my own view is that CL's view seemed reasonable given the facts as known at the time. However, he should have thought through the legal implications before engaging mouth.

Of course, most of the victims came from local authority homes rather than private ones.

I think I'd have run this one past the solicitors before speaking out.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

RMBC and Colin Lambert to be sued for libel Empty Re: RMBC and Colin Lambert to be sued for libel

Post  Charly Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 pm

As much as I'm not fond of Coun Lambert I think in this case what he said was right.
Children were/are NOT safe in Rochdale, I dont know about the care home situation as I read only one of the victims was actually in care.
And as for the 'losing money' argument why are the people who have to use these services considered a cash cow ...as long as we get our money, stuff the care side of it!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Have to say, on balance I agree and I would be using the 'public interest' defence.

I think that you can give excellent, professional care AND make money and many do. Being placed in a local authority establishment or even an NHS hospital is not a guarantee of better care by any means and it can often be worse and even less well-regulated in practice.

CL, was noticeably quiet on subject of LA-run establishments.

Last edited by Hinch on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Hinch, how many of the victims were 'in care' as I have read on many news items that only ONE was actually in care!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Rochdale town hall and boss sued for £400k over grooming ‘slur : -

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rochdale-town-hall-boss-sued-2991114

At one point last year, when Mr Lambert changed tack, some members of the public even began to believe that private children’s homes were part of the Rochdale grooming problem. This was not so. Only one victim had actually stayed in a children’s home, which became clear some months later * when Rochdale Safeguarding Children’s Board published its own review.

CL’s remarks ... raised when criticism of RMBC social services was peaking. have been widely described, also by Rochdale’s MP, as a Red Herring.

(Sorry, overlapped here Charly)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Yes, you are right Charly. Although many girls were known to Social Services and had allegedly sought help and support, only one was currently in care.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 pm

A lack of accurate recall is exactly what happens when the key authorities prolong reports and fail to produce accurate reviews as and when promised. Memories naturally dim and the constant diversions that take place successfully muddy the waters.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Also the anger and outrage dissipate as time passes Poppy. That may be part of the cunning plan or am I just succumbing to conspiracy theory?
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:21 am

There is a certain irony, is there not, that the Council will not risk legal fees of around £50,000 to oppose an appeal in a planning issue that they previously turned down (Broad Lane development) but will risk hundreds of thousands in legal fees and hundreds of thousands in damages to defend Councillor Lambert's remarks.

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:09 am

I am not a legal whizz, but I dont see why the local taxpayer should have to defend this mans big mouth. If he felt he was right to say it, then let him defend it. The councils lawyers should not be defending the premise that children are not safe in Rochdale.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:15 am

I quite agree but RMBC are being sued as well as CL. He should still have thought through potential consequences.

In 'talking Rochdale down', he has put us at great financial risk. Strange coming from someone who has waxed very lyrical about people publishing bad news stories.

The irony is no doubt wasted on him.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 pm

I think I am correct in saying that all Labour councilors, who have to be members of the Labour councilor association are indemnified against action of this sort and will be defended by the self same association.
I am sure some one will agree or put me right on this one.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 pm

past it wrote: I think I am correct in saying that all Labour councilors, who have to be members of the Labour councilor association are indemnified against action of this sort and will be defended by the self same association.
I am sure some one will agree or put me right on this one.

AIUI, members of the Association of Labour Councillors are eligible to contact the party's legal advisors free of charge but that's often as far as it goes. There are "exceptional circumstances" in which further aid would be given but I can't see that Cllr Lambert's comments fall into any of these categories.

It looks like RMBC could well be footing the bill for both cases.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 am

It looks like RMBC could well be footing the bill for both cases.

No PT. Er - YOU. affraid
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 am

Why should any councillor use the legal department of the council if any action is taken against them. They should use and pay this for themselves and not use the council tax payers money. The money should be used for essential services.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:08 am

This prosecution does not appear to be about justice or about 'care'. It looks to be all about money and making a profit.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:23 am

What job did Mr Lambert have when he gave up working and became a Councillor?

Last edited by keithatrochdale on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:41 pm

He still works for Jim Dobbin MP.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Does that not represent a conflict of interests?
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:34 pm

southernbelle wrote:Does that not represent a conflict of interests?

Why would you think it does?

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 pm

cyfrifia wrote:This prosecution does not appear to be about justice or about 'care'. It looks to be all about money and making a profit.

Bang on correct there cyfrifia.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:38 pm

cyfrifia wrote:This prosecution does not appear to be about justice or about 'care'. It looks to be all about money and making a profit.

Council Watch | Council leader sued for £416,000

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/79682/council-leader-sued-for-416000

(The trial in case was last year, Rolling Eyes not this year RO )

Cyfria: That's your view. Leaving aside your internet searches, simply, have you had any practical experiences, over time, of child care in Rochdale, looked after children, the local authority homes, the disparate private homes, Ofsted's assessments, or the different establishments' practices that have applied ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:24 am

keithatrochdale wrote:What job did Mr Lambert have when he gave up working and became a Councillor?

He used to be a teacher. Perhaps that's why he is always harping on about lessons being learned.

As for his present roles as Leader of the council and being Jim Dobbin's secretary, God knows how he manages to juggle them as they are both BIG jobs.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 am

Both big jobs with BIG PAY no doubt
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next