Homes for £1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Homes for £1

Post  Charly on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/homes-for-1-if-you-move-to-stoke-091845634.html

I bet some bright spark will blame Maggie for this one too!
Stoke is a labour run council... so is Liverpool where this scheme has already been implemented
avatar
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1258
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Wardle

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Old Regulator on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Go on then I’ve always wanted to be a bright spark. Thatcherism is alive and well and forcing working people to take out huge loans to put a roof over their families heads. I don’t care which of the parties are in charge they are all capitalist and I’ll bet the landlords of these £1 houses will be laughing all the way to the bankers in 5 years. Just call me Torchy the battery boy.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Posts : 177
Join date : 2012-09-06
Location : Castleton

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Charly on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Very Happy Very Happy I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist
avatar
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1258
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Wardle

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Poppyanna555 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Torchy the Battery boy....wow Old Regulator you are really giving your age away! lol!
avatar
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 548
Join date : 2012-09-05
Age : 67
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Hinch on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:12 pm

It was the first programme I remember seeing on telly... or was it Prudence Kitten?


Last edited by Hinch on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1927
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Stradhoughton

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  past it on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 pm

I will join Old Regulator in being a bright spark.

past it
Crew
Crew

Posts : 198
Join date : 2012-09-07
Location : Heywood

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Prudence Tempered on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Old Regulator wrote:Go on then I’ve always wanted to be a bright spark. Thatcherism is alive and well and forcing working people to take out huge loans to put a roof over their families heads. I don’t care which of the parties are in charge they are all capitalist and I’ll bet the landlords of these £1 houses will be laughing all the way to the bankers in 5 years. Just call me Torchy the battery boy.

How on earth does this involve landlords, OR?

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Posts : 166
Join date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Dalelad on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Keep the house for 5 years, then let them?
avatar
Dalelad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Posts : 345
Join date : 2012-09-05
Age : 52

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Prudence Tempered on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Dalelad wrote:Keep the house for 5 years, then let them?

But the regulations say that someone has to live in the house for five years, and as they're small terraced houses in the middle of Stoke I can't imagine that it's going to be the chosen place of residence for your average Rachman landlord.

I'm sure that if the current owners could get more than £1 for them then they would - otherwise you really shouldn't be moaning about capitalism. And at the end of five years, having spent £30,000 on refurbishing the property, the owners would still need somewhere to live, so immediately putting it up for rent hardly seems to be an answer.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Posts : 166
Join date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Atlas on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 am

Think 'BIG' PT. Think £1 in Stoke and £1 in Liverpool and anywhere else. Think half a dozen. Think your name on each for rating purposes. Think beyond the box. Others do. You would be amazed. BUT - would this be such a bad thing? Five other families housed which weren't before? The possibilities, for the quick-witted and less moral are endless. Where have you been - asleep? Capitalism is alive and well in Stoke and Liverpool - and others. affraid Wink
avatar
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Posts : 2935
Join date : 2012-09-06
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Prudence Tempered on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:01 am

Atlas wrote:Think 'BIG' PT. Think £1 in Stoke and £1 in Liverpool and anywhere else. Think half a dozen. Think your name on each for rating purposes. Think beyond the box. Others do. You would be amazed. BUT - would this be such a bad thing? Five other families housed which weren't before? The possibilities, for the quick-witted and less moral are endless. Where have you been - asleep? Capitalism is alive and well in Stoke and Liverpool - and others. affraid Wink

OK, I have thought 'BIG' and must still be missing something. The regulations appear to say not just that someone must own the property for five years but that they live in it. So you want me to believe that someone will buy a house in Liverpool and another in Costa del Trent and then make a killing at the end by renting them out in areas where, a mere five years earlier, a two bedroom house wasn't even worth £1.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Posts : 166
Join date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Charly on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 am

I've watched these home makeover/refurbishment programmes and yes PT...I think its possible to make a killing!
avatar
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1258
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Wardle

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Old Regulator on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 am

Well PT if I can see a ‘loop hole’ it must be a big un,

I must say I am touched by your faith in regulation in this country given the recent past, and near future? Banks, press, local authorities add nausea have the regulators well and truly in their back pockets, and why shouldn’t they the politicians have snouts foremost into troughs of money matters which good effective regulation would curtail.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Posts : 177
Join date : 2012-09-06
Location : Castleton

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Prudence Tempered on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:19 am

Why spot a loophole when you can simply invent one instead? You still haven't come up with a plausible explanation of how this scheme could be exploited in any significant way. If you can then I'd be intrigued to read it.

The worst case scenario is that it could be exploited at the margins - most things can be. Is that cause enough not to go ahead with it? There may be all sorts of reasons why this plan will not or should not work, but you haven't come up with one yet.

Unscrupulous landlords can easily use current house-building to their own ends as they can with the housing market as a whole. So here's a suggestion for you - you should propose that no new houses get built and even that the ones we have now be demolished, that will stop the landlords in their tracks.

A socialist who doesn't believe that regulation works. Whatever next?


Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Posts : 166
Join date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  teamplayer2 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 am

and why shouldn’t they the politicians have snouts foremost into troughs of money matters which good effective regulation would curtail.

Yes I have to agree with you PT. Regulation does not seem to work very well with socialist either.
avatar
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1019
Join date : 2012-09-07
Age : 61
Location : anywhere

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Charly on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

The original point I was trying to make is if the councils concerned had money to lend out to do these properties up, why havent they done the job and let the homes to someone on the list waiting?
Is it any different to selling off council houses? (but with a big cash injection of course)
avatar
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1258
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Wardle

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  cyfrifia on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:34 pm

From reports it looks like it was a housing area renovation, collapsed a few years back. The idea now seems to be to try to stop the crime and antisocial behavior from dragging the place down, by bringing in people who actively want to be involved improving the area.

Is it the councils' money, or are they acting as middleman to connect up with improvement loans?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Posts : 3045
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : Todmorden

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Atlas on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 am

Prudence Tempered wrote:
Atlas wrote:Think 'BIG' PT. Think £1 in Stoke and £1 in Liverpool and anywhere else. Think half a dozen. Think your name on each for rating purposes. Think beyond the box. Others do. You would be amazed. BUT - would this be such a bad thing? Five other families housed which weren't before? The possibilities, for the quick-witted and less moral are endless. Where have you been - asleep? Capitalism is alive and well in Stoke and Liverpool - and others. affraid Wink

OK, I have thought 'BIG' and must still be missing something. The regulations appear to say not just that someone must own the property for five years but that they live in it. So you want me to believe that someone will buy a house in Liverpool and another in Costa del Trent and then make a killing at the end by renting them out in areas where, a mere five years earlier, a two bedroom house wasn't even worth £1.


O Dear. O Dear. PT. Such a cloistered existence you lead. These sorts of 'scams' have been going on since well before I left the town 30 odd years ago. Rating is the 'key'. Remember the 'improvement grants'? Had to live in the house for x number of years before selling or pay back the grants. Same applies. You really should get out more. NOBODY CHECKS. WHERE THERE'S A SCHEME THERE IS ALWAYS A SCHEMER.
avatar
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Posts : 2935
Join date : 2012-09-06
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Homes for £1

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum