Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale - Past but not past it.

4 posters

Go down

Rochdale - Past but not past it. Empty Rochdale - Past but not past it.

Post  Atlas Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:43 am

The autobiographical books dealing with Rochdale in the 1950s - 1970s are as follows:-

Ower Darkling.
Ower Dawning.
Ower Detinue.
Ower Dabbling.

On most sites - Amazon etc etc etc. Google, Atlas D'Four.

Ten books WW2 - All have the first word 'BLACK' in the tiitle - 9 - non fiction. 1 counter-factual.
eg. Black Dust. etc etc etc.

Please enjoy. If you like them (or not) a few words on your Facebook might help (or not) as the case may be. Very Happy Thank you all in advance. Ray.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Rochdale - Past but not past it. Empty Re: Rochdale - Past but not past it.

Post  Hinch Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:18 am

Only read Ower Darkling so far but very funny and very recognisable from my own cradling in the 50's and 60's.

What I liked was that it pulls no punches. Rochdale warts and all; the good and the bad. I spent a lot of time in the area covered around Entwistle Road and Wardleworth. No money around then but it certainly never got in the way of us having fun. I well remember the gangs collecting bonfire wood and the near-lethal fights with home made weapons.

Atlas seems to have spent a good amount of his time concerned with matters concerning the area betwixt his knees and his navel but describes this in a very humorous way.

I recall one or two of the characters such as Dr Grice. I heartily recommend this as essential reading for anyone who wants to know how real people lived out their lives in Rochdale in the days before we had cars, smart-phones and games consoles.

I'd like to know a bit more about the Cloverdale Mill fire Atlas... NOT that I'm casting doubts on your character.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:07 am

Will definitely seek them out Very Happy

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 am

Spartacus wrote:Will definitely seek them out :D

Who's taking my name in vain?

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:32 am

Yes Hinch. I know the rumours. I cannot tell a lie. T'wasn't I. I didn't have an axe at the time - that was later affraid Love the banner - had to do a double take. Embarassed Am I missing something, past it? Elucidate.
As I understood it Hinch at the time - t'was the plumber and his dicky blowlamp?? Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down