Another business bites the dust

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another business bites the dust

Post  Charly on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:55 pm

The Paintball place on Queensway where my grandsons both had birthday parties and a fantastic time has had to close due the amount of rates set by RMBC.
No flexibility for a business starting out, such a shame as they had cheap sessions at a weekend to keep kids off the streets.
Sorry to see it go.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/47/life-and-style-articles/65680/two-local-women-made-redundant-venture-into-paintball-business
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Re: Another business bites the dust

Post  Jeanie on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:36 pm

Me too Charly they go on about the youth in our town but continue to not support the very things needed for them !
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:19 am

Local rates both commercial and business should reflect the local economy in its present situation and should be set through joint consultation between the borough council and the local chamber of commerce both of whom are best placed to 'assist' the town, its businesses and its inhabitants. Any other system, whilst assumed to be 'arms length' and fairer, cannot replace local situations and knowledge. But by the time anyone in government realises that the present system is driving businesses to the wall the damage will have been done - and more to the point - will be irretrievable. I still maintain we are being governed by blind idiots for this is not a situation that hasn't been 'limelighted' often in the past. It's God help everyone if somebody somewhere doesn't get a 'handle' on things shortly. Sad
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:31 am

Business rates are set nationally, not locally. I've no time for this council, but I refuse to blame them for what is not their fault.
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  past it on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:24 pm

johnb wrote:Business rates are set nationally, not locally. I've no time for this council, but I refuse to blame them for what is not their fault.

Good to see a statement of fact provide a reason instead of a partisan response.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:40 pm

past it wrote:
Good to see a statement of fact provide a reason instead of a partisan response.

Definition of PARTISAN
1: a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person; especially : one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and
unreasoning allegiance

2a : a member of a body of detached light troops making forays and harassing an enemy

b : a member of a guerrilla band operating within enemy lines

I doubt ANY of us replying comes under this description
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Have the rates gone up considerably recently then? If not are they just not getting the revenue they need to survive?
Dalelad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:56 pm

They've gone up DaleLad, they were winging it as any newish business has to and were beginning to get really busy with the kids sessions at weekends with 2 sessions on each day, thats apart from the regular users and birthday/stag parties ect, they reckon a few more months and they would have been laughing but couldn't hang on
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:59 pm

johnb wrote:Business rates are set nationally, not locally. I've no time for this council, but I refuse to blame them for what is not their fault.

Weren't the community charge increases set by government at 2%?
RMBC have increased theirs by 3.5% is that not their fault?
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Community charge and business rates are two different things - incidentally yours was a typically partisan comment...

The government recommended a cap at 2.5% but did not give it teeth. Incidentally the Rochdale council tax is under the cap, it is the precepts for police and waste that have pushed it higher.

Now I know that this was not the spirit, but like it or lump it, it complies with the letter.

For the record, I would not object if the money was well spent, but our present council has a regrettable capacity to pee whatever they have up against the wall.
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Charly wrote: --------- and they had cheap sessions at a weekend to keep kids off the streets. Sorry to see it go.

RMB council has issued court proceedings against them for business rates.

The business has United Kingdom Paintball Sports Federation’s Accredited venue status: -

‘Community Amateur Sports Clubs,’ CASCs, are entitled to the same rate relief as charities. CASCs are entitled to mandatory rate relief of 80% and the Council has discretion to remit all or part of the remaining 20%.

Perhaps there’s a case for the Paintball centre to re-register and change, or drop, a couple of their in-house provisions … but Rochdale Development Agency and RMBC’s start up advice for businesses will surely already have explored all support options ?

When you look at the huge range and number of nationally-registered CASC’s, it’s not such a wild shot. ---------- Public consultation is due this year via the Sport + Recreation Alliance, to provide updates on the rules and limits for CASCs on generating income from social and non-sporting activities, in order to provide clarity.

Outside of the Box

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 am

johnb wrote:Community charge and business rates are two different things - incidentally yours was a typically partisan comment...

I am aware they are two different things, I was pointing out that this council went against the government recommendation about the community charge increase so only implement rules as and when they see fit.
And if my reply was partisan in your opinion was it in the 2a or B example Laughing
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Category 1 actually.
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
How did I just know that was what you would say ?
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Sounds like a clear case to reregister if it's not already too late.

Not been paintballing but I take my grandkids shooting every Sunday morning and bought the eldest a gun for his birthday although technically he can't own it and I keep it in the gun cabinet at the club. Only costs £2 per visit and they can shoot all day if they want.

Nice to see the little buggers going out enjoying themselves instead of sitting playing computer games plus they can learn to use weapons responsibly.

Disgraceful that small businesses are being forced to close whist big multinationals like Google, Starbucks, Amazon, Pepsi etc are able to pay virtually zilch in Corporation Tax and earn billions.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Yeah...look what a great facility Rochdale has lost.

http://www.paintballplus.co.uk/home.html
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 pm

If the people setting it up could not get the business plan right (and that includes working out how business rates work) the business would have failed anyway.
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 pm

johnb: Yes, and RMBC advertises Start up advice for businesses in the borough, that includes business plan preparation and support for businesses that have been trading for less than three years,

---------- in addition to Rochdale Development Agency's comprehensive package of support to businesses looking to set up, expand or invest in the Borough of Rochdale ….. : -

http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/business_and_employment/startup_advice_for_business.aspx

Sounds like a really good mentoring and development combination Exclamation

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:01 am

Mentoring!! Consultants!! Start Up Advice!! What on earth makes you think that the 'standard' of such help or advice has any credence with the majority of today's so called professionals??? Believe me when I tell you that such is most definitely not the case - in fact quite often, quite the reverse.
Most people just beginning in business would not know that and thus take a great risk if they have no previous experience or are relying on such 'people' to 'advise' or give them good business plans.
johnB & MJ. Most things are rarely what they seem to be on the surface these days. Real good advice only comes from those with 'proper' experience, not so-named Consultants/Business Managers/ and others who may well have 'qualifications' but of which most have been gained from unis/colleges and other institutions who make financial gain from so-called 'business courses. There's a lot of 'conning' going on out there at the moment - eg. financial advisors-just to make the point. Sad affraid

And there can be a multitude of reasons why a firm's business disappears - nothing is set in stone.
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 am

Is the 'Women's Enterprise' organisation still going? I thought it lost out on funding around 2009 to 'Blue Orchid' based at KYP? Unless it has been resurrected by some of the old team?

Last edited by Poppyanna555 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 am

Shame that. It didn't seem to be open that long either.
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Poppyanna555 wrote:Is the 'Women's Enterprise' organisation still going? I thought it lost out on funding around 2009 to 'Blue Orchid' based at KYP?

Poppyanna: Yes, that's more or less what happened; spiel : -

An entrepreneur a day created through Rochdale Enterprise Coaching service !

See http://www.theblueorchid.co.uk/casestudy/anentrepreneuradaycreatedthroughrochdaleenterprisecoachingservice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top