Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polygamy UK

+3
cyfrifia
teamplayer2
Hinch
7 posters

Go down

Polygamy UK Empty Polygamy UK

Post  Hinch Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am

Fascinating piece on polygamous marriages in the UK today on Radio 4 Woman's Hour. These are mainly, though not exclusively within Muslim communities. Although these are essentially 'religious marriages' only and have no validity in UK law, the second and subsequent wives are entitled to state benefits albeit as a single person.

Often, these marriages are not registered with the mosque as not all Muslim communities look favourably on these marriages. Sometimes it is done so that the man is free later to import a registered 'second' wife into the country.

In Islamic law, the man is supposed to treat all his wives equally and the contracts drawn up often state the bed-sharing arrangements. Subsequent wives have no inheritance rights in UK law.

As many polygamous marriages are secret and unregistered, no figures are available though divorced Muslim women often seek them as being the best of a bad job as it can be difficult for them to enter into a normal monogamous arrangement.

Needless to say, there appears to be a lot of coercion and physical or emotional abuse involved and not all wives are aware of their counterparts.

The programme should be available on iPlayer tomorrow.

Hinch finds that even one wife can be one too many at times!

The suffragettes must be spinning in their graves.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Polygamy UK Empty Re: Polygamy UK

Post  teamplayer2 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 am

Though in some communities if the female is married and has an affair they get murdered to save the male honour. Weird.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 am

Different cultural groups have very different ideas and attitudes about the way unmarried people should behave, and arrangements for marriage. Quite a lot of those different arrangements just don't fit into the conventional legal and benefit systems and social expectations we have.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 am

Hinch wrote:
The programme should be available on iPlayer tomorrow.

The suffragettes must be spinning in their graves.

scratch Confused, anyone know if this is it Question BBC Radio 4 - Jemima Khan and the Part-Time Wife

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s46rr

I didn't think there was any such thing as Polygamy in Islam. If there was, surely Muslim women would be able to have more than one husband. ----------- Believe it's Polygyny in Islam.

Seem to remember a Conservative leader's 'surprised' wife No 2 raised some awareness about this: -
BBC News - Polygamy in Islam: The women victims of multiple marriage
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-18252958

Arrow Back to the programme ...

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 am

Hinch wrote:

lol! Glad it is the wife who is too much for you...........................
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 am

It is something of a puzzle as to why the UK would actively encourage many immigrants from parts of the world where they have entirely different ways of going on, and then be disconcerted that they have very different beliefs and customs like polygamy and so on, it's entirely predictable and to be expected isn't it?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 pm

I too had a few wives in my 'wilderness years'; invariably someone elses.

Is this polygamy , polygyny or something else entirely Mojo? Perhaps I was just a rake?

I once joined a club in Sheffield for divorcees and singles as my mate wanted some company. Mrs H #1 was less than impressed when my membership card arrived in an envelope loudly emblazoned with a heart, two cupids and the name of the club. Boy, did I have some explaining to do! (True story.)

Prior to marrying the current Mrs H, I had my first marriage annulled by the church who said that, in their eyes, I'd never been wed at all as I'd married 'without due discretion'. All very confusing but quite quaint.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Hinch wrote:I too had a few wives in my 'wilderness years'; invariably someone elses.

Rolling Eyes One could always suppose a younger ‘ Hinch the rake ‘ combined riotous living, sexual licentiousness, inveterate gambling, brawling, alcoholism and duelling with some intellectual pursuits and patronage of the arts ..

Hinch wrote: Is this polygamy , polygyny or something else entirely Mojo? Perhaps I was just a rake?

On reflection, I’d say you were G R E E D Y

It was an interesting programme about Polygyny, and some "interpretations" of

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Mojo Hill wrote:
On reflection, I’d say you were G R E E D Y

Laughing Laughing Laughing love it. I knew Hinch in his younger years, he was always a charmer Wink
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm

I never gambled. All the rest is true.

I will surely burn in Hell but at least I had fun on my journey.

Living in a nurses home in my mid-20's was like being locked in to the biggest sweet shop in the universe.

I'm afraid I burned the candle at all three ends.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Jeanie wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing love it I knew Hinch in his younger years he was always a charmer Wink

Still a bit of a sweet talking rascal now!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu May 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Can you still pull them in Hinch?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 am

Only if he ties a bit of string around them threaded up under his belt and attached to his watch chain. Works quite well really - er - so I'm told. Embarassed
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri May 03, 2013 2:52 pm

My philandering days are well and truly over. I grew up in my late 30's.

Have worked in a female-orientated profession all my life and came to regard women as far more than sex-objects. Now about 90% of my friends are female and I feel perfectly at ease doing lunch and stuff with them etc and Mrs H knows where I am, who I am with and trusts me.

The basic rule to follow is that you can look but don't touch. If they want to give you an occasional friendly hug, that is fine but if you make a habit of doing it to them, it makes them feel uncomfortable and you get the reputation for being a 'lech'.

I was never good at talking about cars, footie and DIY. Female conversation is far more interesting... apart from their strange disinterest in chuff-chuffs.

And in any case, though I find that the spirit may be willing, the flesh is decidedly weak these days.

I have a fave Italian restaurant where I often do lunch with my friends. You can see the testosterone-saturated waiters thinking, "How the **** does that fat b*stard pull 'em?" when I arrive with another friend they ain't seen me with before.

Keep the buggers guessing say I!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat May 04, 2013 12:27 am

Hmm. A man after my own heart I see. I thought I was a one-off when in my younger days I prefered going to the 'hen parties' as opposed to the 'stag parties'. Went to quite a few and had a wail of a time - probs because I was the only male there. It worked amazingly well.

Incidently - which fat b'stard was it?? Wink affraid affraid
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum