Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you don't like 'maths', pass on this one.

+5
past it
Hinch
Chill37
southernbelle
Atlas
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you don't like 'maths', pass on this one. Empty If you don't like 'maths', pass on this one.

Post  Atlas Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:44 am

And I don't mean 'pass it on' - I mean 'PASS'.

A loco and a carriage measure in total length 16 feet including the 6" long spacer coupling.Q. What is the tightest radius, given that the carriage is on bogies, that can be laid to safely traverse both vehicles in a complete circle without de-railing.

This is for railway technical engineers only. There are no prizes on offer. No trick question and a headache for the winner. Enjoy - affraid Wink Very Happy
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

If you don't like 'maths', pass on this one. Empty Re: If you don't like 'maths', pass on this one.

Post  southernbelle Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:32 am

Pass confused
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

If you don't like 'maths', pass on this one. Empty Re: If you don't like 'maths', pass on this one.

Post  Chill37 Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:03 am

Atlas wrote:And I don't mean 'pass it on' - I mean 'PASS'.

A loco and a carriage measure in total length 16 feet including the 6" long spacer coupling.Q. What is the tightest radius, given that the carriage is on bogies, that can be laid to safely traverse both vehicles in a complete circle without de-railing.

This is for railway technical engineers only. There are no prizes on offer. No trick question and a headache for the winner. Enjoy - affraid Wink Very Happy

Havnt a clue- is there a reason for this question?

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:50 pm

God knows the answer to this one. I just buy my ticket, get on the train and hope that the permanent way gang have done their homework.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Is the answer 42?

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:01 pm

You need a trained mind to answer that one!

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:19 pm

choo choo 32 ?

Absolutely no idea lol!
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:50 am

Chill37 wrote:

Yep. I don't want to kill my passengers by turfing them over the embankment. affraid

Is that a quess jeanie. affraid
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 am

Hinch wrote:God knows the answer to this one. I just buy my ticket, get on the train and hope that the permanent way gang have done their homework.

My you are a trusting fellow. Wink Wink Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:44 am

I was once on a train that derailed. (A three-set DMU 'Red Dragon' service at Abergele and Pensarn circa 1962/3.)

I was only 12 or 13. An interesting experience. Great to sit in our green and cream British Railways camping coach in a siding at Abergele Station and watch the crane come out from Llandudno Junction to lift it back on.

I have no idea to work out the answer to your question Atlas but then I struggle counting down from 301 on the dartboard.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 pm

What gauge?
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Atlas wrote:
Chill37 wrote:

Yep. I don't want to kill my passengers by turfing them over the embankment. affraid

Yes of course it's a quess is it right ??? Very Happy
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:34 am

johnb wrote:What gauge?

seven and one quarter inch. Very Happy
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:36 am

[quote="Jeanie"][quote="Atlas"]
Chill37 wrote:

Yes of course it's a quess, is it right ???

Very Happy affraid affraid affraid How would I know? It's not a b***** quiz! Surprised Rolling Eyes affraid

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:11 am

It may need a bit of working out but you also have to take into account who is driving the train Jeanie. Will Atlas be driving the train? affraid
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 pm

And the estimated axle load?
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:29 am

max - 5cwt. The load is only a consideration for possible rail spread. Given the construction much greater loads could be carried without affecting the gauge - but the occassion wouldn't arise. Very Happy
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Not strictly true:

The carriage and the loco both behave as chords of a circle, which means that on cornering their centre of load moves in towards the centre of the circle, thre is a turning moment and the carriage can topple inwards.

There are lots of other issues - the effects flanging included.

By the way, are the carriage and engie on bogies or are they rigidly connected?
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:25 am

Agreed johnb - but we are not talking excessive weights or a circle - the form would be almost pear-shaped as in a loop thus the spread or inverse effect is almost neutralized - is it not?

The Loco is 0-6-0 with a coupling (approx 6") to a tender which is rigid 4 wheel. The carriage is again coupled to the tender with a 6" coupling. Overall total length 16ft.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:01 am

Why try to turn round...just reverse it Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Just going round in circles Charly. What a Face
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:58 pm

In that case the limiting factor will probably be the wheelbase of either the loco or the carriages, depending which is longer. The restriction to curve radius is the limit imposed by flanging and that is determined by the difference between the rail centres and the distance between the wheel flanges. There is probably a table somewhere in the gauge track specification.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:05 am

Charly wrote:Why try to turn round...just reverse it Laughing

Not allowed charly - propelling is very restrictive and cannot be exercised unless in an emergency situation or with adequate safeguards in place. Therefore - we don't want to make a practice of it in this particular situation whereby the 'transit' system is under constant daily use - ergo - a loop.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 am

Have you considered a points bypass?
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:19 pm

RESISTANCE OF CURVES.
Curved track increases the resistance of trains in direct proportion to the shortness of curvature. In European railways, the character of the curves is nearly always denominated by the length of radius: in this country, a railroad curve is described as of so many degrees. The degree of a curve is determined by the angle subtended at its center by a chord of 100 feet. To those who think of a curve by its radius, it may be well to explain that a curve of one degree has a radius of 5,370 feet, and the radius of any curve can be ascertained by dividing these figures by the number of degrees.

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next