She moves... she moves!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

She moves... she moves!

Post  Hinch on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WEfPDadp_bI

After 46 years, my loco finally moves. Am so chuffed. (Pardon the pun!)
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Re: She moves... she moves!

Post  Atlas on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:50 am

Either you have a very low expectation threshold or a very high cynical threshold. I think I might have gone and acquired myself something else - that worked. Wink So - now it actually 'moves' what are you going to do with it - other than stand huddled in playtime groups around its half worn, half resplendent metalwork - and enthuse?
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:53 am

It will be earning its keep on the Poppy Line in Norfolk under a two year contract from next month. After that there are well advanced plans to run her on the NYM.

In other words, she will be working hard pulling scheduled trains and making money. She will be taking over from David Shepherd's Black Prince which is up for sale and due for her major overhaul.

Insurance boiler test set for next week.

Are your piles playing you up Atlas?
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 am

No not at all hinch. I just get very ruffled when anyone mentions 'decades' of renovation works. There are literally hundreds of steam engines littering the country still awaiting their illustrious 'owners' - attentions, the vast majority of which will never again see a coal fire because of so-called 'good intentions' and that famous line - "Oh yes. I have a steam engine." It's akin to the "Oh yes I'm part owner of a racehorse don't you know." "I just mentioned it because it makes me feel important." Which let's face it Hinch is more towards the truth of the matter. I'm glad your consortium has at last managed to do 'something' useful and meaningfull. I wish you every success with her. Very Happy Wink affraid
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:14 am

I certainly feel proud to have helped to rescue her from the scrapyard. As to it making me feel 'important'; bollocks!

It has taken years to get her into running order and the uncertainty re funding has been a nightmare but I feel eminently satisfied that this small piece of my local, Darwen-shredded heritage can now be enjoyed by thousands.

Why try to make it sound sleazy?

As to what other owners do I am not able to say but I think they usually start with the best of intentions but do not realise the enormity of the task in hand and the massive and ongoing funding required. Sadly, many well-intentioned projects will never even be cosmetically restored let alone raise steam.

76084 is not of their number.

Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  davelee on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:25 am

Well replied Hinch. I am pleased that progress has been made in restoring 76084 and hope you get as much pleasure as the many who will see it on the tracks. I think Atlas is very misguided in his interpretation of your reasons for being a part owner. Along with the Old Regulator, Past It and others I enjoy your updates.

I say thanks to all those who have parted with their hard earned money to help restore old locos. I like nothing better than to pop down the road to Pickering to see the results of those who contributed.
davelee

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:42 am

How double-dog dare you davelee to insinuate that I would misinterpret my old mates intentions of him being a part-owner of a steam loco. I have never been so insulted in my life - (hmm - yes I have) but that does not however allow you (whom I do not know and are thus perhaps not one of my old mates) to make such assumptions. affraid

And you Hinch, my old friend, have not had anything like the experiences of the the 'preservation world' that I have had. At present languishing in my sheds are 3 locomotives and languishing outside another 3 locomotives - all of which are going to be renovated by their multiple respective owners. All have been here on site longer than fifteen years and 'none' I repeat 'none' have had a stroke of work done on them in all that time.
And you think I'm a bit misguided and cynical??????????? I wonder why. affraid Wink Very Happy
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:30 am

On the theme of restoration it is feared that Williamsons tool store at Oldham Mumps may have to close, due to drop off of customers whilst Metrolink work progresses. I am told they stock all British Standard threads and tools thereof. I’ll let you know if a stock sale is announced.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:05 pm

How is the old engine doing Hinch. Sound as though you have all done a good job there.
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

B

Post  Hinch on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Video of her being moved to Norfolk. Her paint job is almost completed in British Railways black. Hopefully in passenger service next month.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:03 am

That looks great ... also like the backing 'track' ...  ♫ ♫ 

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:31 am

Nice to see things moving along Hinch. Well done everyone. Nice to see a Carmarthen lad looking after the old Standards. I will puruse my archives and see if any of the '7's are pictured in Carmarthen.Very Happy:D:D
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:38 am

None of the '7's pictured in my Carmarthen archive. It's possible they were never used on this stretch of line.
Have today sold a Severn Valley Tunnel Toad (the last of its kind to exist 1888 date of manufacture) for £5 as NOBODY in the preservation world seemed interested in its renovation or future. It's a sad day for the lovers of the steam world.Sad 
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top