Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A change in the climate

3 posters

Go down

A change in the climate Empty A change in the climate

Post  Prudence Tempered Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:38 pm

I logged on expecting to read reaction to Labour's plans to cut winter payments for pensioners.

I thought there would be people complaining about the evils of means-testing, decrying the end of universality, accusations of setting the poor against the 'undeserving poor' and fears of pensioners freezing to death in their own homes.

But I can't find them anywhere. What could this possibly mean?

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

A change in the climate Empty Re: A change in the climate

Post  Hinch Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:05 pm

It probably means we are getting on with our lives and are sat out in our gardens enjoying the sun.

You really should get out more HT. Sitting indoors searching for things to fulminate about is doing zilch for your blood pressure.

Me and Salty have long ceased to be apologists for Labour or any other party and in any case, Honest Ed never really said anything I agreed with.

If you do manage to get out in the sun, remember to keep your pate covered. Too much exposure can send you a bit doolally tap.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Well you do seem to have taken that remarkably personally, JH, both on your own behalf and Salty's. Why is that?

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Could it be something to do with your transparency and predictability?
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I suppose that's possible but I doubt it, JH. Were you just as shy about discussing the subject when Nick Clegg suggested means testing for richer pensioners or did you have rather more to say on the subject?

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Not shy at all. Just totally disinterested. In any case, nothing I could say or write would alter your views so what's the point?

My old mother used to warn me about casting pearls before swine and she was right. My dad taught me to save my breath to cool my porridge. He was right too.

So, in the blue corner is PT/HT. Who wants to come in from the garden and take over the red corner?

My barbecue has just reached optimum temperature and I must chuck some pork ribs on from that poor dead piggie that I refused to throw Mrs H's cultured pearls in front of.

Start a new trend. Consider voting Lib Dems at the next election.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:41 pm

I don't have a problem with that at all, PH/JH. I'm just amazed that someone so disinterested (or even 'uninterested') should take time to comment, still less take so much time to make no comment whatsoever.

And you are totally wrong about your powers of persuasion. Several things you have written have made me change my mind quite considerably.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Ok, try this for size.

Let's have real universality. Let's scrap all allowances and benefits for everyone, whoever they are. This would eradicate scroungers and fraud at a stroke.

I personally don't give a toss what Miliband et al say although I think that he is on a slippery slope and is digging a big hole for himself. Apologies for the mixed metaphor. Parties in opposition are invariably reactive in nature and in being so, move further away from any pretence of ideological motives.

The coalition is a shambles and there is no effective opposition. Ed is no more honest or dishonest than any of the rest of them. He has got sucked into 'playing the game' as have many before him.'

Retirement has given me much time to think and the more I find out about politics, the more I love my train set and garden.

Seeing local politics up close and dirty has done nothing to improve my cynicism.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:47 pm

There speaks a 'lifer'. Very Happy
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:53 pm

That wasn't what you were arguing last year, Hinch, nor was it the position of many others who now seem remarkably silent. Still, I realise that 2012 was an election year.

This has done little to improve my cynicism.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down