Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh. I get it.

+6
teamplayer2
Poppyanna555
Prudence Tempered
Hinch
Old Regulator
Atlas
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oh. I get it. Empty Oh. I get it.

Post  Atlas Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:18 am

You've all beggared off to another forum haven't you and decided not to tell me. No matter. You will very quickly come to regret such foolishness when you eventually miss my idle banter and swingeing criticisms.
I have noticed one thing. It's a darn sight easier to get through the lists at this time of night without having to argue with anyone. Wonder why I didn't think of that before?What a Face Wink Very Happy 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Oh. I get it. Empty Re: Oh. I get it.

Post  Old Regulator Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:28 am

don't know about the rest but i've got computer problems with this site. new comp on way. holidays could be wakeing. i've come on here to avoid a baby storm.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:58 pm

I am away in Wales fishing, steam railways and no end of grandparenting stuff so not really posting. Nothing personal Atlas.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 am

Old Regulator wrote:don't know about the rest but i've got computer problems with this site. new comp on way.  holidays could be wakeing. i've come on here to avoid a baby storm.

I do that by swinging directly to my 'recordings' and something sensible like 'The Big Bang Theory' -Yea.Smile 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:01 am

Hinch wrote:I am away in Wales fishing, steam railways and no end of grandparenting stuff so not really posting. Nothing personal Atlas.

Completely understandable. Wales - soooooo refreshing ---. Oh - the grandparent thing --- give them back earlier!affraid 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Atlas wrote:You've all beggared off to another forum haven't you and decided not to tell me. No matter. You will very quickly come to regret such foolishness when you eventually miss my idle banter and swingeing criticisms.
I have noticed one thing. It's a darn sight easier to get through the lists at this time of night without having to argue with anyone. Wonder why I didn't think of that before?What a Face Wink Very Happy 

OK, I'll fall for it.

Choose your weapon (topic).

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm still here Atlas.....unfortunately few others are!! I too am wondering where everyone has beggared off to! Sad 
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Must have lost the shine Atlas. Better things to do!

Noticed Charly has not posted for a long time now.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Yes, I have noticed the absence of Charly and Irishman (although I suspect this is because of health problems on the latter's part).

Winnie and several others didn't appear to find us after Rochdale Online shut shop! Crying or Very sad 
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 am

I thought Charly might be off on one of her American jaunts again. Irishman I know is having a bad time of it and no doubt finds it difficult to concentrate on anything but his health. We all wish him well and hope things will improve. Lovely fella really -Very Happy  I suppose some may have stayed with RO on their reply to articles part of their web - who knows. Best to just soldier on and await more fruitful times - - - Wink What a Face Very Happy 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm ouy enjoying the summer weather. Not been on my PC much in the evenings as a result.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Johnb and TB are away on their jollies, Hinch is in Wales, Spartacus has PC problems, not sure re Charly, SB and other former regulars.

I too liked Irish. He is not banned but spat his dummy out after being repeatedly warned about taking on the Admin team. He is welcome back anytime.

Yes, we are concerned about forum usage but unsure what to do about it. At some stage we may need to go into 'use it or lose it' mode.

All suggestions welcome.

The basic issue for me was the very sudden closure of the RO forums and not enough following us across. Most are unaware of our existence. If you know any of their emails please signpost them our way.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Yes, I think Sparky has been having computer problems and, I believe she has heavy personal commitments too.

It's such a shame that RO pulled the plug so abruptly without warning which caused many of our friends to lose contact with each other. Sad 
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 pm

I agree Poppy though I understand the reasons, a bit more notice might have been welcome.

What I really regret is all the great stories and personal histories - all gone in a puff of cybersmoke. There was one guy who was involved in building the M62 back in the 60s. His reminiscences were fascinating plus all the tributes gone.

Thing is, the forums generated no revenue and put RO at an ever-present risk of libel. Still, a great pity eh?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:00 pm

I cannot remember the last time I contributed to this forum but reading this thread sounds like it's not healthy. ROL left for what must have been good reason but I am reminded of the criticism leveled against some contributors, myself included, because of the alleged political elements. The criticism may have had some validity but the forum was dynamic, heavily subscribed and well read. The kindest thing to say now whilst recognising the hard work put in by admin et al is it is different.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:14 am

All good points and taken 'on board'. I also think that one of the problems with we of the 'longevity' is that of 'repetition'. The same old arguments and the same old subjects - ad infinitum - so to speak. We need to attract new members and hopefully not put them off with 'jumping all over them' as, by example, Irishman did with me when I first joined RO many years back - I thought he hated me 'instantly'! I of course soon realised that he didn't just dislike me but everybody else as well.Wink 
I would have thought that Hinch and some others with all their influence in the town would have found a way of 'broadcasting' the site in a more fruitful manner without incurring too much expense along the way -!!!Question 
Just a thought;) Wink Wink 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:12 am

I have tried Atlas but with very limited success.

The forum does lack breadth I think.

As for Past It's post. I think that him and Salty were well able to take on all-comers. I particularly enjoyed their spats with Home Thoughts and his fellow traveller(s).

The overtaking of almost every thread by those beating their particular political drum turned many off. At times I felt that the Lib Dems were using the forum as a 'free sheet' but that was due in no small part to Dave Hennigan's considerable abilities to muster his troops and use the technology to ensure that he got his message out.

Labour and Cons lagged far behind in this respect. There was some disorganised counter-attacks by me and a few like-minded malcontents but either Labour never really grasped the potential or misunderstood RO's genuine lack of any partisan stance. The forum was there for all to use.

The constant politics turned many posters off; particularly the female ones. The actual numbers posting on the RO forums towards the end had dipped considerably though there was always a resurgence around election time.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm

I just thought on occasions other peoples views did not matter and some posters thought that other people did not have a right to post if it did not support their view or agree with them.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:14 am

I think it is an excellent way of expressing one's opinion and of showing one's interest in each other and one's communities. Talk, talk is always a better way than 'conflict' and can, by this method , at least enlighten oneself to the ways and mind-sets of others in a form of simple education if nothing else.
I don't think we should get dispirited or think for one second that this forum or any other doesn't serve well its purpose or those that use it. Disagree we may. Dispute we may. But surrender to apathy and the likes of Home Thought - NEVER. NEVER I SAY. NEVER. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Wink 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:15 am

I note the perfectly reasonable comments about ROL and its demise. I enjoyed the political spats but I can understand the frustration felt by some at the political dimension. The forum was however live and controversial. Many threads started as complaints or comments on what was in effect the result of a council policy or decision. However the resulting debate developed, cries of "politics" were heard. Some were bored, some frustrated, but the forum had a life of its own.
What we have now is different and some will enjoy it. Where have the regular contributors gone and more to the point why have they gone?

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 am

Perhaps past it to a 'place' where their own particular agendas are better satisfied. I'm sure there are other 'forums' where one might bang ones own drum for ones 'cause' much more effectively. I agree with Hinch's take on RO. Everything, and seemingly every subject, seemed to attract barmy politics and their ardent supporters like flies to a dead rat which I have to say regularly spoilt things for the rest of us who would prefer our politics well wrapped and kept in a cupboard until the 'actual' general or local election time - not two years in advance of the same.What a Face 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Atlas wrote:Perhaps past it to a 'place' where their own particular agendas are better satisfied. I'm sure there are other 'forums' where one might bang ones own drum for ones 'cause' much more effectively. I agree with Hinch's take on RO. Everything, and seemingly every subject, seemed to attract barmy politics and their ardent supporters like flies to a dead rat which I have to say regularly spoilt things for the rest of us who would prefer our politics well wrapped and kept in a cupboard until the 'actual' general or local election time - not two years in advance of the same.:face: 

Interesting to know what you do not want, not sure whether "the rest of us" would agree unless you feel confident to speak on their behalf. The forum is so small now the majority of the "rest" is hardly indicative of what the contributors of the ROL forum wanted. What do you want out of this forum?
It is noticeable that my comment on the forum has generated several replies. Could it be that being controversial is not so bad after all?
I have not as far as I know mentioned any political issue.
You will also not hear me using terms like"barmy and dead rat" I am reminded of the biblical quote " let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Ive been busy elsewhere to be on here as often,.

But yes the threads are a bit 'boring'. Yes some threads posted are very important to those posting. But some are mind numbing. Such as the G20 thread a few days ago for example. I personally didnt see the point. But clearly the OP thought it was of some importance.

So hence why I dont post as often as it is variation on a theme on a lot of threads.

Dare I say predicatable.

So a lot of my time is spent on other forums where i help out.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:35 am

But they weren't 'spats' were they if you are being honest. They became far more than just that in many cases and I repeat 'bored' the pants off many of us - especially when quite reasonable discussions were purposely 'ramped up' for purely personal and 'petty' political gain. Politics, like religion, can cause great annoyance and offense without really trying and should only be entered into with great care and caution. Not at every god-given opportunity. My reply to you was also in answer to Hinch's post where politics featured - nothing personal I can assure you.
And I wouldn't dream of speaking for anyone else - I'm too old in the tooth for that.
What do I want? Well as I live 200 miles away and have done so for over the last 30 plus years my interest is purely one of a nostalgic affinity. I was born there and lived there for nearly 40 years and many of my family are there and in surrounding areas and so - - - I have a concern that the place does well and keeps its reputation of being a place where good and decent people live in far greater majorities than the scrotes.
And I would never throw stones - until the coppers have gone. So there.Wink 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:48 am

Chill37 wrote:Ive been busy elsewhere to be on here as often,.

But yes the threads are a bit 'boring'.  Yes some threads posted are very important to those posting.  But some are mind numbing.  Such as the G20 thread a few days ago for example. I personally didn't see the point.  But clearly the OP thought it was of some importance.

So hence why I dont post as often as it is variation on a theme on a lot of threads.

Dare I say predictable.

So a lot of my time is spent on other forums where i help out.

That was patently obvious by your post on the subject chill37. I'm not so sure that it is a healthy attitude to take where tax avoidance is concerned. After all everyone bleats enough about there being insufficient funding for the purposes of the 'nation' as a whole. Surely the less tax-avoidance allowed the better for all concerned? Greece is a prime example. Is that the way you want to go?
I'm not saying for a second that this particular item is the full answer. Only that it is time this and many other
'holes in the bucket' were stopped up - and the sooner the better.Surprised

'Help Out'.  - You obviously have a different reason for your postings than do I.Question
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum