Lancashire County!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lancashire County!

Post  teamplayer2 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 pm

I do not know about anyone else. Might even start a debate. What do some of us think as the region of Lancashire. Before it was broken up into Greater Manchester, Mersey Side parts of the Lake District now under Cumbria. Old timers like me of a certain age yearn for the old county of Lancashire back to its original boundary.

I felt it gave use a unique identity to the rest of the country. Even though I was born in Oldham and now live in Rochdale, we in the area known as part of Greater Manchester, but in my heart still feel a part of Lancashire and want to be known as a member of the County of Lancashire. I wish we could go back to the old Shire counties on the fact that History and our heritage is of the County of Lancashire and still a lot of towns were a part of Lancashire and we were proud to be so.

What do you think! Should we go back to what it all should be and for the sake of our heritage and history. Lancashire born and bred and proud of it.
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Re: Lancashire County!

Post  cyfrifia on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Lancashire must, for one reason and another, be one of the most maltreated, broken up, marmalised and destroyed of the old counties. I remember it having some trace of it's former character left in the landscape fifty years ago, but that vanished a long time back. Yes it would be nice to see that process reversed, but, not likely to happen.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

TP2:  Simplistically, your post brings to mind Rag Puddings and Rushbearing.    

Did you go to the Rushbearing Festival in Littleborough last week-end then?  

Littleborough Rushbearing Festival

2013:  http://www.littleboroughlocal.co.uk/pages/rushbearing.aspx
(novel , additional 'tribal' dance contributions from Rossendale  Cool    )

+  http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamkr/sets/72157624451809401/   (Spot the Hinch ! )

and Gallery images:   http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/81586/littleborough-rushcart-parade

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:05 am

I doubt the 'politicians' would take a liking to your suggestion teamplayer2. Boundaries are set these days for political expediency and voting advantages. Counties and cultures mean nothing to such people.

Rushbearing - ahhh I remember it well.Wink Very Happy
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:34 am

Am proud to still live in Lancashire but it is a shadow of its former, pre-1974 self.

'Greater Manchester' sounds as if it is just an amalgamation of unconnected places.

Long live the old Palatine County I say though it was nice to get rid of the scousers.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:59 am

During WW2, an area including Liverpool and the industrial towns of the Lancashire plain was 'secretly' designated within what was known as the 'Industrial Coffin', an area of vital strategic importance for petrochemical and engineering work. It was accepted that people there would have shorter lifespans and poor quality of life etc as a necessary sacrifice for the industrial war effort. Then, post war, it just sort of carried on like that.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Atlas wrote:I doubt the 'politicians' would take a liking to your suggestion teamplayer2. Boundaries are set these days for political expediency and voting advantages. Counties and cultures mean nothing to such people.

'Twas ever thus. It's no less true today than when the robbers barons were creating Lancashire in the first place. And it has probably been true every time the county has been carved up and rearranged. It was certainly the case in 1973 when the Conservatives thought they could seize control of the big cities by wrapping them in the surrounding suburbia and creating the new Metropolitan Counties. Of course what happened was that the Tory majorities in these outer areas weren't large enough to counter the massive Labour majorities in the urban parts and it ended with Labour ruling the suburbs - so the Tories scrapped the Mets.

But Lancashire has never had fixed boundaries and those who yearn for the situation as it was before 1973 would be opposed by those who say we should go back to 1894, or 1832 and so on. I suspect they would meet stiff opposition from people in places like Hawkshead - part of the 'old' Lancashire - but would probably not relish being governed from Preston, let alone Manchester.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:58 pm

In modern times, Manchester is the most powerful part of what used to be Lancashire territory. It is difficult to see how the rump of Lancashire could reassert itself now, after being so thoroughly dismantled and shredded. A fairly large army with a lot of horses, flags and pikestaffs, galloping about quite a lot, might be persuasive in terms of publicity.

The best that could be hoped for really, would be an accommodation with Greater Manchester, perhaps producing a new area called Great Mancashire?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:44 am

Mojo Hill wrote:
TP2:  Simplistically, your post brings to mind Rag Puddings and Rushbearing.    

Did you go to the Rushbearing Festival in Littleborough last week-end then?  

Littleborough Rushbearing Festival

2013:  http://www.littleboroughlocal.co.uk/pages/rushbearing.aspx
(novel , additional 'tribal' dance contributions from Rossendale  Cool    )

+  http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamkr/sets/72157624451809401/   (Spot the Hinch ! )

and Gallery images:   http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/81586/littleborough-rushcart-parade

I could not go because I was working.So what is your problem Mojo?

teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 am

teamplayer2 wrote:

I could not go because I was working.    So what is your problem Mojo?  

I don't know. You tell me, please. I cant see where I indicated I had a problem  scratch .

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Sorry Mojo I misread your post. Bad morning today.Embarassed scratch 

I have been before but missed the last couple of years. I recorded the one in 2000. I was asked to do a copy which is now with the North West film archive in Manchester.

Though I must go again, though how much longer will events go on like this?

I have placed a lot of old photographs on a lot of History websites of Lancashire in recent months.

My apologies again Mojo. If you see me in a pub tap me on the shoulder and have a pint on me.drunken 
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top