Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lord Howell on 'Fracking'.

5 posters

Go down

Lord Howell on 'Fracking'. Empty Lord Howell on 'Fracking'.

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 am

Former energy secretary, Lord Howell of Guildford:

There are obviously quite justified worries about the effects of fracking on beautiful rural areas in the south of England, but, there are large areas up in the north east, which to the best of my knowledge are uninhabited and desolate, apart from a very few native peoples dressed in animal skins and speaking in primitive grunts. 'Fracking' for gas could be done there. As for the north west of England, where there are some towns such as Rochdale, there are proven reserves of shale gas that must be exploited in the national interest. Peoples there could probably be negotiated with as usual, in exchange for some small mirrors and coloured beads.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Lord Howell on 'Fracking'. Empty Re: Lord Howell on 'Fracking'.

Post  Chill37 Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 am

Ive heard of part of those comments.  But not so sure about the part about Rochdale.

Maybe tongue in cheek?! Very Happy 

Still if it did come to Rochdale we would have the Green Brigade marching, shouting and campaiging against it sayings its too late for the enviroment to be saved, or its the last day we can save the enviroment so on and so forth.

But still my two views remain,

!) why does the last day to save the enviroment keeps moving out from the last time?  
2) What do they suggest we do to keep the lights on?

Just think if massive amounts of Shale Gas are found under Lenny Barn for example. The income/jobs in could bring in.  But will the energy bills come down?

Nah didnt think so.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 pm

Chill37 wrote:
I've heard of part of those comments.  But not so sure about the part about Rochdale.  

Lord Howell’s remarks, for which he has quickly apologised, were, ‘There are large and uninhabited and desolate areas, certainly in part of the North-east, where there’s plenty of room for fracking.’        

The rest of Cyfi’s own script   ( i.e. …. are uninhabited and desolate, apart from a very few native peoples dressed in animal skins and speaking in primitive grunts.        'Fracking' for gas could be done there.                      As for the north west of England, where there are some towns such as Rochdale, there are proven reserves of shale gas that must be exploited in the national interest.            Peoples there could probably be negotiated with as usual, in exchange for some small mirrors and coloured beads )      all reads like an over-active, dark imagination, thwarted wit, and possible influences - wet ones - of Yorkshire/Todmorden residence.    As a Rochdalian, I strongly object to the prejudice connotations therein.  

‘Darned cheek’ doesn’t even begin to cut it ! ….   Evil or Very Mad     

Mr Osborne has unveiled the most generous tax breaks in the world to kick-start fracking across the UK .

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:43 am

Such a nice man. I always knew we could trust the Conservatives.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 am

It seems he got it wrong and has apologised, He didn't mean to insult the north east - he meant the north west instead. Easy mistake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-23527634

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 am

Prudence Tempered wrote:It seems he got it wrong and has apologised,  He didn't mean to insult the north east - he meant the north west instead.  Easy mistake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-23527634

He told the media he was actually talking about "the drilling going on off the Lancashire coast". He also said it was a "stupid error" to mention anywhere at all.

He does not speak for the government PT

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:34 am

So when he talked about "uninhabited and desolate" areas he actually meant the sea? I suppose that is pretty much desolate and definitely uninhabited.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:29 am

"Er. Cod you pass that by me again please. - Glub."Rolling Eyes 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:54 am

Atlas wrote:"Er. Cod you pass that by me again please. - Glub."Rolling Eyes 

Of course. It would seem that the noble Lord is suggesting that we use the Irish Sea for fracking porpoises.

Or something like that.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 am

I don't think I can find space to call the man 'noble - although admittedly I don't know him. As for 'Lord' that I thought was something to do with something connected to people who were a tad delusional.
Now this 'man'/ 'person' may have had the intention of sending drilling equipment into the Irish Sea for the purposes of digging holes and causing earthquakes. I don't know. His intentions have been a tad obscure. He is without doubt a bit silly - but from the pictures some of us tend to go that way as we reach our dotage so nowt fresh there then. I wouldn't spend too much time on this if I were you. It's going nowhere - in a handcart.What a Face Rolling Eyes 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:40 am

In the long term, when they 'frack' or pulverise a layer of rock deep underground, and so damage the geological structure, you would expect the surface of the earth to settle and sink a bit eventually. The earthquakes at Blackpool seem to fit with that. There seems to be lot of problems in store with chemicals being pumped down deep into the earth.

The most worrying aspect of fracking is the assurance from the government that it will be well regulated, anything that is well regulated by the government usually turns out to be a mad cow story, or some similar sort of disaster.

Lessons will be learned in a few years time, when the ground subsides and water has to be filtered?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:47 pm

So in terms of geological damage, what is the difference between mining and fracking?
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:00 pm

johnb wrote:So in terms of geological damage, what is the difference between mining and fracking?

Almost none.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Probably so, the damage from fracking might be spread over a wider area?

Quarrying, mining, drilling for oil, hydroelectric dams, nuclear power, all these things can and do cause long term damage to people and the environment. The effects of all these activities usually become apparent some years later. Promises that anything like that will be done safely and responsibly cannot be relied on, any more than you could rely on Lord Howell to navigate you to Blackpool, which he thinks is somewhere in the bleak, desolate and uninhabited north east. Best to use a sat-nav.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down