Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dangerous Dogs Act amendment

+2
Prudence Tempered
Old Regulator
6 posters

Go down

Dangerous Dogs Act amendment Empty Dangerous Dogs Act amendment

Post  Old Regulator Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:15 pm

As many of you know, Lewis my guide dog was attacked and injured last year, he is fine now.  The attack was very upsetting and frightening to me at the time, heaven only knows what children who are attacked go through.  The Greater Manchester Police Commissioner is asking for views on an amendment to the Dangerous Dogs Act.    I would appreciate, as would Lewis, your help (Greater Manchester residents only)in contributing to this consultation.    Please go to:-

http://www.gmpcc.org.uk/dogs/

very many thanks Old Regulator and Lewis.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Dangerous Dogs Act amendment Empty Re: Dangerous Dogs Act amendment

Post  Prudence Tempered Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Done.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Done, I own a dog myself but am a responsible dog owner but I have seen many dogs off the leash in public places with their owners indifferent to their behaviour.

I feel that all dogs should be kept on the lead in public places.....for starters!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:56 am

Old Regulator wrote:
As many of you know, Lewis my guide dog was attacked and injured last year, he is fine now.     The attack was very upsetting and frightening to me at the time, heaven only knows what children who are attacked go through.   The Greater Manchester Police Commissioner is asking for views on an amendment to the Dangerous Dogs Act.    I would appreciate, as would Lewis, your help (Greater Manchester residents only)in contributing to this consultation.    Please go to:-

http://www.gmpcc.org.uk/dogs/

very many thanks Old Regulator and Lewis.

FYI:   The Survey closes on 12 September 2013

Exclamation  27/08/13                               Salford hero, 71, stops dogs 'tearing woman's face off'

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:18 am

It's very difficult and quite dangerous to rescue someone from a dog attack.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10626847.Man_praises_courage_of_boy_in_Great_Horton_dog_attack_horror/

This chap used a spade.

When a fierce dog is in attack mode, as I saw when a pit bull type dog attacked and kill a smaller pet dog in the street, the strength and determination is astonishing.

The pit bull owner and onlookers did what they could without weapons to stop the attack, but, despite that and over several minutes, the collie was killed. It's cries were very much like hearing a child being killed. This impressed upon me the reality of dog attacks. Fighting dogs are not bred for mercy.

It can take more than one bullet to stop a fierce dog. Dog attacks are usually unexpected, a spade or crowbar may not be to hand. The public cannot be expected to defend themselves or their pet dogs from these now regular attacks.

The fashion for 'devil dogs' and breeders who supply that fashion has become a really serious problem. Our politicians have been very slow to realise that and do anything to control it.

Many dangerous dog owners think in their own minds that they are responsible owners, but their brains have been addled by alcohol and drugs, all part of the same widespread problem, so, making dangerous dogs illegal is now the only practical option.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:54 pm

So that would be ALL dogs weighing mor than about 15 Kg?
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:24 pm

It is difficult to define what dog will become dangerous, as that depends on the owner as well as the breed. I agree that researching statistics and drawing up suitable legislation would be tedious work.

Bring back the dog license, make it an exam like the driving test and exclude anyone convicted of dog fighting, breeding dogs for fighting, badger baiting, drug dealing, violent assault, animal cruelty etc. Plus, medical costs to the NHS of people injured by dogs to be billed directly to the dog owner.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:21 pm

hello all. here is a survey by the government department DEFRA

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/animal-health-and-welfare/dda_dog-attacks_sentences_survey/consultation/intro/view?Ref=email&dm_i=LDK,1SIXQ,3PQ342,6EH9Y,1

again many thanks for assisting.  even an old cynic like me can see open government in action.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:19 pm

cyfrifia wrote:Dog attacks are usually unexpected, a spade or crowbar may not be to hand.
This chap used an old bike wheel to fight off a Staffie, and rescue a little girl. Good job there was one lying around.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/ban-danger-dogs-says-manchester-5850898

Old bike wheels, spades, mop handles, anything to hand gets used to fight off dangerous dogs.

Regarding too many dog attacks in Wigan clogging up the hospitals, Lord De Mauley, Parliamentary Under Secretary at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, said “There will be flexible tools for the authorities to use to clamp down on nuisance dog owners".

Flexible tools? Does Lord De Mauley mean those things with a bit of bike chain on they use to get oil filters off cars? Whatever is handy I suppose.

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local/dog-attacks-have-hospitalised-51-1-6013111

Dangerous Dogs Act amendment 2621563

Mr. Hirst, 62 had his arm mauled by an American Bulldog while delivering a prescription to a house. After five operations on his injured arm, he says he will never get the use of his arm back again properly.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10653857.Tyersal_dog_attack_victim_speaks_out_over__shocking__figures/

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:41 am

I know how distressing it can be having had my own experience of fighting of a dangerous dog in the past. But what is it with society and inner-cities these days. Why does every other dog have to be a status symbol? Why do people not buy Labradors, Poodles, Yorkshire terriers any more?
Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down