Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ban the Burka..

+6
Old Regulator
Hinch
teamplayer2
keithatrochdale
cyfrifia
Poppyanna555
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ban the Burka.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ban the Burka..

Post  Hinch Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:59 pm

I must admit to a little 'unease' myself; largely in relation to women's rights rather than any direct threat of terrorism from burka-wearers.

Much public unease is whipped up by tabloids or those with distinct political agendas and that makes me deeply suspicious.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a supporter of the burka for reasons hitherto given but neither am I ready to join in the public clamour for an outright ban as even if such a thing we're possible, it wouldn't make a scrap of difference in reducing tension and mistrust. The cause of anti terrorism will not be advanced one millimetre by banning this garment.

I would however like to live in a society where some women didn't feel the need to hide behind the niqab.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:39 pm

There have been young ladies on TV explaining why they choose to wear entire covering burkas, but the explanations they put forward are a bit random. (and muffled).

It reminds a bit of Victorian times when they reputedly put covers even on table legs for the sake of decency. Comes from a different place though, from hot and dusty climates where it's probably quite comfortable to wear a complete dust cover.

Perhaps the men liked their women with a cover on them for similar reasons people put a cloth over a budgie cage?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 pm

cyfrifia wrote:
With the recent collapse in the world banking system, European and USA economies in crisis, withdrawal from fighting the Taliban, increase in terrorism, changes in the balances of power etc, perhaps the apprehension of collapse, as in Greece etc, and dictatorship arising, is a reasonable one, and, behind unease about the rise of Islam, which we may associate with dictatorial political systems, so the visible take-over of public space with things like wearing the burka instinctively makes people uneasy for that reason, as well as the concerns about crime, disguise, and identity?
Plus lots of people don't like foreigners coming over here with their 'foreign ways'. Part of being an island nation perhaps, makes us suspicious of different ways of thinking and living to our solid British Anglo Saxon Christian ways.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Dalelad wrote:
Plus lots of people don't like foreigners coming over here with their 'foreign ways'. Part of being an island nation perhaps, makes us suspicious of different ways of thinking and living to our solid British Anglo Saxon Christian ways.
I do not see anything wrong with expecting them to make some efforts to 'fit-in' and respect our culture.

When I go abroad I do not expect the country I am visiting to drop all their culture and fit in with mine - but, sadly we are expected too!

We bend over backwards, maybe that is why we have such a problem with 'illegal immigrants'?
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:34 pm

The only thing that gets me about the Burka. If the people who want the females to wear a Burka pointed out by the men of their culture. Why do they not wear a Burka as well. Why just the females?

I am in with Hinch on this. I would object to anyone in a public service who was to talk to me with a Burka or any face covering other than for medical reasons.

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:48 am

teamplayer2 wrote:
Old Regulator wrote:
teamplayer2 wrote:Nobody coming on to here to protest about the comments made by the posters about the Burka. No one coming on accusing them of being racist? Frightening.affraid
What I find ‘frightening’ is uneducated comments directed at people exercising their right to comment or not comment on a topic.  

Your problem is Old Regulator!  

Poor syntax?

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Now come on OR, Teamplayer is only 'advising' you which threads you should post on and what your point of view should be.

Surely you're not expecting good syntax as well?

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:37 am

Now come on Old Regulator my old mate. Where did I say no one could have a point of view on any subject!

Talk about scraping the barrel.

Do you want to try Algebraic Syntax Old Regulator my old friend.

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:09 am

Algebraic Syntax he spoke. alien

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:33 pm

We could try Musical Syntax cyfrifia.

WE ARE COMING BACK TO ROCHDALE________
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Just look what you've done now Old Regulator. You've got him Googling 'syntax' to see what it means.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:39 pm

uote="Hinch"]Just look what you've done now Old Regulator. You've got him Googling 'syntax' to see what it means.[/quote]

Why do I need to google it!scratch

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:49 pm

You don't... Now.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 am

Unlike in France, there seems little chance of a ban on burkas in the UK. As long as women say they want the right to wear them, no-one is going to say they can't, except for practical reasons in law courts, in certain jobs and situations.
Ban the Burka.. - Page 2 Belgien

What might become more relevant after a little while, is women who want the right not to wear the burka.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:52 am

Hinch wrote:You don't... Now.

scratch 
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Ban the Burka.. - Page 2 Image_update_06baa9969dc4a1d6_1385553440_9j-4aaqsk
"Beyond the Veil" debate in Rochdale    Credit: ITV Granada

The Regional TV news reports that a conference for the Rochdale community on the wearing of the niquab, the head and face cover, is taking place in the Town Hall today.  

Where was this advertised, by whom, and was it 'open' to community members or, was it selectively available. Mad  ?    

'Closed shops' and Rochdale appear to commonly extend way beyond retail matters ...

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I was upset to witness a child wearing one whilst visiting the hospital today. I think she was only 11 or 12.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:51 pm

The event has been advertised for about a month and was open to all. Sponsored jointly by Rochdale Community Forum and Al Yusra. The openness of the agenda can be illustrated by this gem from the flier: "The niqab is proudly adopted as a symbol of religious observance by many members of our local community..."

The flier goes on to promise. "Develop your Continuous Professional Development profile by enhancing your understanding. "

It says that the Forum was set up "to bridge the gap between communities after the Child Exploitation Cases in May 2012." It promises a buffet lunch and networking opportunities and says "Rochdale Borough Council and GMP would like to offer you the opportunity to attend this event."

Sounds to me to be a tick box exercise designed to reassure us non-Islamic folk that all in the multi-cultural garden is rosy.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Sounds rather racist to me - against the British!

keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:05 pm

I don't find it particularly racist, but it's a touchy-feely event designed to encourage gentle, non-threatening questions over a chicken and quiche lunch and provide soothing, reassuring answers. 

Totally meaningless whose only value is to prove how hard our council and GMP is working to tick as many boxes as possible.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:51 pm

Spartacus wrote:
I was upset to witness a child wearing one whilst visiting the hospital today. I think she was only 11 or 12.  

I have seen 2 little girls younger than that in my area wearing one Sparky, they must have only been around 8 and 10 and, the number of women now wearing these niqabs  in my neighbourhood seems to have seriously escalated over the last 12 months or so too.     Mind you, the number of Asians that have moved into the area over the past 12 months has greatly escalated as well, so it may just be par for the course ....

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:10 am

That must make it very difficult to know who anyone is, whether you have met them before, whether they are nasty or nice. A practical compromise instead of a burka ban might be to have a burka licensing system. With a number plate like a car.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:17 am

A number plate? Surely the simplest way would be a crescent or similar worn on the arm/sleeve with a number tattooed on it? Now - haven't I heard of something similar to that before - hmmm - - -? Perhaps not. Just me being paranoid I guess. Rolling Eyes 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:53 am

Pathetic piece of news reporting.

http://vimeo.com/80485020        

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:51 am

Whoever made the video does seem to have treated the community forum burka conference as a comedy /quirky news item.

http://vimeo.com/80485020

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum