Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steam stuff: My baby's coming home!

5 posters

Go down

Steam stuff: My baby's coming home! Empty Steam stuff: My baby's coming home!

Post  Hinch Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:50 am

As you may know, I own a slice of a newly restored, Standard 4 Class 76084, formerly shedded at Darwen. At the moment it is running on a two year contract on the Poppy Line in Norfolk. But I heard this week that it is coming 'home' after Xmas for a few weeks to run on the ELR.

Worth a day out Frank? Details below:-

76084 is part of the North Norfolk Railway (NNR) home fleet until at least the end of 2014 and possibly beyond. The NNR effectively closes for the months of January and February and do not require 76084’s services. Such a valuable asset standing idle is not good business sense so the invitation to attend the East Lancashire Railway’s (ELR) planned Steam Galas during January and February 2014 was just too tempting.
As 76084 was built at Horwich and in BR days worked across the North West of England she is effectively coming home. The ELR will utilise 76084 on a number of days including the 18/19 January and 22/23 February Steam Gala weekends. This is not the first time a locomotive numbered 76084 will have run on the ELR as 76079 has paraded as ’84 on at least 2 occasions but it is the first for the REAL 76084.
76084 is scheduled to haul the NNR Santa Specials through December and will leave by road after preparation for the journey around 27 December subject to transport availability. 76084 will return to the NNR at the end of February in preparation for their Spring Steam Gala in early March.
Running in the North West even for only 2 months will allow many of the northern Shareholders and supporters to see 76084 in action for the first time. The 76084 Locomotive Company Limited’s Board of Directors are keen to see 76084 run on various heritage railways around the country as the Shareholder base is spread far and wide. This of course has to be managed in line with the present running agreement at the NNR.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Steam stuff: My baby's coming home! Empty Re: Steam stuff: My baby's coming home!

Post  Hinch Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Further information including timetable for 76084 ELR working from January 4th 2014:-

http://standard4.com/home.html

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Steam stuff: My baby's coming home! Empty Re: Steam stuff: My baby's coming home!

Post  Old Regulator Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Hinch congratulations on your baby's homecoming.  I will put info in my weekly STORM newsletter and ask if any relations, local share holders, would like to join you, and me if my diary allows. Salty

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:11 pm

She has arrived and in in shed at Buckley Wells.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:08 pm

Well, I waited for over an hour at Rawtenstall waiting for my first sight of her but all I saw was an 0-6-0 ex- War Dept saddle tank and a nondescript diesel loco. Then I got the following email:-

Just to let you know that when 76084 was tested yesterday the sander valve jammed open filling the cab with steam. Unfortunately, when isolated it also isolated the blower making the loco inoperable.

Thanks to our Chairman, Ian Story, the valve was fixed and replaced during this morning. The enforced stay on shed enabled a team of 76084 shareholders and ELR shed staff to clean the locomotive thoroughly.

As I type she has been moved up and down the yard and stands at the Bury Signal Box about to head a passenger train up to Rawtenstall. This later information courtesy of Phil Champion, 76084 NEWS editor.

76084 will be in traffic tomorrow all being well.

So all being well, I will see her tomorrow.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Hinch wrote:The enforced stay on shed enabled a team of 76084 shareholders and ELR shed staff to clean the locomotive thoroughly.

You should see her gleaming in the distance as she approaches. Hope all goes well with the steam stuff.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 am

Saw her this morning taking the 11.45 out of Rawtenstall pulling four coaches tender-first. A stirring sight.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Wow, yes that does look good, and such a nice sound too.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Yes, I asked him to give an extra loud whistle blast for Old Regulator's benefit. Not a wisp of steam escaping anywhere Frank apart from up the chimney where it belongs. Painted in BR black livery with the lion and the wheel crest on her tender. I took the video just by the crossing at Rawtenstall West Box. It looks beautiful. I know you can see it all in your mind's eye.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:19 am

It looked gleaming, always a heartwarming sight to see the old steam trains these days  Smile 
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:14 am

Here is video taken on the footplate on Saturday when she was undergoing a test after her mishap. There is great sound Frank as they are really putting her through her paces and making her work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NE9bOFRykQ

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:00 am

Looks in good fettle. Try keeping her that way from now on. Smile 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:38 pm

76084 busy today hauling this mixed goods out of Burrs on a chartered photo shoot.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down