Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eyes in the back of his head.

+2
Chill37
cyfrifia
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Eyes in the back of his head. Empty Eyes in the back of his head.

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Eyes in the back of his head. 2014110_155133

Mr. Danczuk cannot be everywhere at once to make an environmental visual audit, but sturdy cardboard cutouts with video cameras in the eyes might be an effective method to fight drug dealing and anti social behavior. Rear facing cameras will be needed too.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/84715/antisocial-problems-around-bridlington-square

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Eyes in the back of his head. Empty Re: Eyes in the back of his head.

Post  Chill37 Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Or, more Police on the streets using the cash thrown at the ever silent Police Commissoner and his Deputy.  How many Police Officers would their salary put on the streets

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:33 pm

I'd estimate probably one or fewer officers per town.

Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:49 pm

For whatever reason, there are never enough Bobbies on the beat and not likely there ever will be. The police are considering the use of more helmet cameras, video evidence can save a lot of time-wasting argument.

Cardboard cutout policemen are cost effective, miniature video cameras are not expensive. Put the two together with a bit of wireless technical know-how and prosecute the anti-social behavior with the evidence.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:32 am

High -tech is without doubt coming into its own in this sphere and will result in less officers on the beat but -hark -. What's that I hear??? Freedom of the individual! Big brother! Oh dear me NO. The choice is not necessarily yours. Give up your privacy for a more throughly policed future?????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Smile 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:50 am

The principle of video surveillance in streets and public places, shopping centres etc has been well accepted for many years. With the cheaper high tech available now, it could be done more effectively to make problem areas safer and less unpleasant.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 am

I've always maintained on here that you cannot have discipline and order without the loss of freedoms and privacy that go with it. It all very well 'allowing people to express themselves and do what they want' - oh dear don't chastise little Jimmy or Jane it's barbaric and inhumane' but what is often the end result. Bad parenting, bad kids and a dangerous society. The choice is yours. Spy camera's are an ideal sanction for all concerned (including the police and our armed forces). It's just a pity we can't make all politicians wear them at all times as well. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Can't see how this particular spot is any different to any others dotted around the borough?

Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Mulldog wrote:Can't see how this particular spot is any different to any others dotted around the borough?

Me neither.

Perhaps Simon is lobbying for votes already.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Mulldog wrote:Can't see how this particular spot is any different to any others dotted around the borough?

That's why the thread opened with "Mr. Danczuk cannot be everywhere at once to make an environmental visual audit."

Video surveillance of trouble spots could be done much more effectively than it is, but is that a good policy, do the public want video cameras watching, and does it just move trouble from one place to another?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm more amazed that a high ranking PC was also in the area.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Yes, he was making an environmental visual audit -translation-'having a look'. This 'having a look' method could prove a very effective policing method.

Last edited by cyfrifia on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Chill37 wrote:
Me neither.
Perhaps Simon is lobbying for votes already.
Chill37 wrote: I'm more amazed that a high ranking PC was also in the area.

Chill:    You’re probably right; good PR / pre-election publicity.    A high ranking PC wouldn’t just be in the area – staged.   Wink   It sure doesn’t need a Chief Inspector to ‘ have a look ’ for effective policing.    

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:28 pm

It is a good idea for a Police Chief Inspector to go out on the street and have a look, too much staying inside with central heating and air conditioning can make the brain go stale.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:35 am

cyfrifia wrote:It is a good idea for a Police Chief Inspector to go out on the street and have a look, too much staying inside with central heating and air conditioning can make the brain go stale.

So will we see this Chief in other areas where there is anti-social behaviour going on? Such as the streets near where I live. Or maybe on Further Pitts where the recent horrific stabbing took place. You know just knocking on peoples doors reassuring them.

Nah didnt think so.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am

Rochdale North Police Inspector Umer Khan seems to be the man in charge of that stabbing investigation, and arrests have been made. He says "Patrols in the area have been stepped up"

Here he is, a few months ago, talking about using Facebook to find out what goes on.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 am

cyfrifia wrote:Rochdale North Police Inspector Umer Khan seems to be the man in charge of that stabbing investigation, and arrests have been made.    He says "Patrols in the area have been stepped up"

Yes, excellent work by the Police.  Job well done there.

My point is.  Is the Senior Police Officer in Simon's Photo , or indeed Insp Khan, going to the area, or any other areas, meeting with people etc.     Or, is it just for special occasions,  as Anti Social behaviour is all over the Borough and ergo needs a visit by Senior Police? Why just one area?  Well, at least as far as I know it's just one location.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Chill37 wrote:Anti Social behaviour is all over the Borough

And beyond. Very sad for everyone involved, young lives going down the pan, people's lives made a misery, and all the consequential problems, waste and expense.

Certainly something that needs thinking about properly. The police are important of course, but realistically, they just pick up the pieces after the damage is done.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Well they can be very pro-active.  A bigger presence on the street.  Walking, and not driving by in comfy cars. When did you last see a Copper on your street?  Proper Police and not PCSO's.

More prolonged operations, not a huge big operation every so often with a reporter in tow.  Although I never see any operations going on at Issac Newton Way/Elizabethan Way.  It's getting worse and worse there, wont be too long before there is a serious accident;  its turning into a potentail accident black spot.

More effective policing.  How many times do you read of repeated anti -social activity in the same area time after time.  Get in there stamp down on it. Find the root cause and continue to work on it.  I know it's an impossible role at times. So my blood boiled when we first had the PCC elected .  Then the PCC hired a Deputy PCC. Plus all the back room staff.  Utterly pointless, a cash-strapped very thin blue line getting more squeezed by more levels of management.  As I and other have said.  We haven't heard from the PCC since the scathing SCR .  

Far too much like hard work and taking responsibilty.  Sack Sir Peter Fahy as the failings happened on his watch. Part of the PCC remit is to hire and fire and take to task the heads of Police.  When is our PCC going to start?

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:45 pm

To be fair, Chief Inspector Taylor has visited my area at least twice in the run up to Christmas.  He first visited with a member of RMBC's Community Safety Team who brought him to our area to get a feel of what is happening here.  A few weeks later, he and the same member of the Community Safety Team came up here on a dreadful cold, windy and wet evening (along with a member of the councils Youth Service) and did a door knocking exercise in order to make residents aware of who they are and who to contact with any concerns they might have now or in the future.

I understand that Chief Inspector Taylor is a very hands on kind of chap and I think that it is step in the right direction that this guy is willing to walk our streets and take on board many of our concerns to be honest.

I might add that RMBC's Community Safety Team have been very proactive and have been following up on a lot of intelligence given by the local community and they have been in constant liaison with the police and things are being acted upon.  I have nothing but praise for them (one member in particular) and, to be fair, certain members of the police who have changed their shifts to work in our area into the wee small hours to address certain anti-social problems, all coordinated by Chief Inspector Taylor, I believe.

Unfortunately, things haven't been so successful on the litter/fly-tipping front but, one step at a time I guess.

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi Polly anna.  Thank you for your own area experience of a senior Police officer.

Glad to know my observations are sometimes not valid.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:04 pm

Yep, I can only speak as I find Chill but, believe me, it has taken years of personal effort by local residents to inform and complain about the happenings in our area.  It has taken a lot of interaction by residents believe me, but you have to keep at it.  Apathy and indifference gets you nowhere
 Wink

By the way, I am not aiming that comment at you personally Chill, but you need neighbours who are like- minded and will show their support and keep plugging at it all the way.  There are only a dozen properties on our row and all certainly haven't been proactive, but some are better than none.  Unfortunately, we are one street only, as the rest of the area consists of fluid residences that are here today, gone tomorrow and lots of immigrants, but it does show that even a few can make a difference.

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:47 pm

My ideas about the council doing anything much to improve things in your area was rather negative, Poppy, hoping something would appear from somewhere else to intervene in some way.

Perhaps the actions by the police, going out of their way to do that bit more, and working with other departments can be the catalyst for change.

Someone who knows what's going on and has some leverage with the council etc seems most useful, maybe some of the right people have appeared now?

Housing policy will have to be changed or modified in some way though, to give the area a chance. Landlords have a responsibility to the neighborhood, especially so called 'social' landlords.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:16 pm

It has taken YEARS Cyfrifa and the change began to take place around June last year, after a couple of meetings with RMBC, Police and other agencies.

I can't knock what the Police in conjunction with the council's Community Safety Team have done on the anti-social front, my main gripe you will note is with the Cleansing department of late where there has been no evident improvement, linking back to May last year, when the dirty nappies started making an appearance.   This problem is instigated by few....the Council know who they are but....almost 9 months later, this/these persons obviously have not felt threatened enough, in any shape or form, to curtail their litter-dumping pastime as they are still throwing out their filth.

We have had the two problems (anti-social behaviour and litter) running side by side, one department is winning ....the other is still on the starting line!
 Sad

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 pm

It's by no means an answer on the larger scale of educating or somehow knocking a council into shape, but for specific departmental issues, the tactic of embarrassing one department head in front of other department heads can work.

If such opportunity arises, praise the work of all departments that have improved, thank their management, and pleasantly point out that, sadly all that is in jeopardy of failing, due to the sad and puzzling failure of the cleansing department to keep pace with the rest of the council and it's partners.

I expect you have developed your own methods of persuasion, Poppy, just trying to give you a bit of moral support with it.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next