Sniffed by a dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sniffed by a dog

Post  cyfrifia on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:41 pm

An arrangement has been made for Muslims who are subject to search by sniffer dog when visiting prison to be able to ask for a gown to keep themselves ritually clean for prayer, as Muslims believe dogs are unclean animals.

This seems a reasonable arrangement. Can anyone ask for a gown, or is it just for Muslims? When I visit my friends in prison I prefer to be sniffed by a dog to being patted down by a human. It's always nice to see a well trained dog doing a useful job.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/85191/rochdale-man-brings-about-changes-to-prison-visitor-search-policy

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Re: Sniffed by a dog

Post  keithatrochdale on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 am

One law for one, one law for another?
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 am

I would imagine that anyone could ask for the same apparrel if they didn't like dogs or had some reason why they didn't want a dog sniffing them up. What fits one fits everyone - unless your the size of Big Cyril Wink .
The alternative would be to refuse prison visits to people not prepared to be 'sniffed at'. Either way would satisfy me. Rolling Eyes Smile
Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:50 am

On the few occasions that I have visited friends or psychiatric patients in the nick; usually Pentonville, Preston or Garth, I always felt the urge to go home and shower afterwards and I am definitely not a Muslim.
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:15 am

When I've visited in prisons, meeting a nice sniffer doggie has been one of the brighter moments. On the point of one law for some another law for others, it is important to know where to draw the line, but this seems a reasonable concession to religious or cultural sensibilities. Attitudes to dogs seem to vary according to where the Muslim person is from, some are quite relaxed about dogs, but won't have them in the house, others show quite a horror of them.

Will these gowns be washed between each person that uses them? You would hope so, but that's a lot of laundry.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:09 am

The chances are they would be of the paper disposable type and thrown away after use. Rolling Eyes

Atlas
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Well trained dogs of an agreeable breed are generally a good thing as companions and for therapy.

Obviously it could be problematic, but pairing up some prisoners with dogs that need homes might tend to humanise some of them, the prisoners that is.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top