Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  keithatrochdale on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:01 pm


Rochdale Online: -   http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/85750/councillor-lambert-makes-plea-to-identify-fly-tippers



Hello, what does he expect when the local tip has been closed!  Shocked 


And charges are made for removing large items from community payers houses!  Embarassed


avatar
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Posts : 198
Join date : 2012-09-07
Location : Rochdale

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  Dalelad on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:30 pm


I wondered how long it would be before someone made excuses for these people, and blamed the council for the incident.


Heywood tip was only free for for household waste. Flat bed lorries/ low loading vans would have to pay where ever the waste was taken and the people people who do this tipping are scumbags.


avatar
Dalelad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Posts : 345
Join date : 2012-09-05
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  keithatrochdale on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 pm




I was not making excuses, just employing a bit of common sense.  Shocked



avatar
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Posts : 198
Join date : 2012-09-07
Location : Rochdale

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  Dalelad on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:30 pm




But it's not. Using your logic, we should allow all commercial waste be disposed of for free. In fact the council should pick up all waste for free at the point of generation, paid for by our council taxes, in order to stop anyone having to dump it to save themselves money.
avatar
Dalelad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Posts : 345
Join date : 2012-09-05
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  cyfrifia on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:29 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:
the local tip has been closed!  Shocked 


And charges are made for removing large items from community payers houses!  Embarassed



With a further five million budget cut, further loss of council workers and facilities,
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/rochdale-council-face-another-50m-6768698
and things like fly tipping of asbestos around the streets going on, things aren't adding up very well for Rochdale. Meanwhile the London economy is overheating. Seems a bit out of balance between the regions.

Fly tipped asbestos is a problem as it would be illegal for workmen to move it without certificates and protective gear, but, you can't just leave it there.
http://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk/t802-councillor-lambert-makes-plea-to-identify-fly-tippers
Probably best if everyone pretends they haven't noticed the asbestos.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : Todmorden

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  Atlas on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:25 am


Point one - it is not asbestos. Hasn't been since the early 1960's. It is however an eyesore but could be safely moved by anyone willing to do so. It is called 'asbestos standard form sheeting' but is in fact cement fibre sheeting as any builder who has used the product will tell you. Asbestos fibre was removed from the process decades ago. And I would venture that Rochdale suffers no more than everywhere else with this problem and to a large degree I agree with Dalelad  that council tax should be sufficient and calculated to remove 'all' waste, domestic and commercial in order to ensure a proper, safe and environmental outcome and that fly-tippers when caught be given a custodial sentence coupled with a community service order when they come out with the words 'I was a fly-tipper' emblazoned upon their compulsory work gear. For the cost of a telephone call to the appropriate 'waste removal dept' it is unlikely many would risk it or even need to do it.

But hark - I hear the cry. 'We cannot afford it'.  My reply - 'You cannot afford not to'. A tidy workplace is a safe workplace. The same goes for towns and cities. Question

avatar
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Posts : 3031
Join date : 2012-09-06
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  keithatrochdale on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 am

Dalelad wrote:

But it's not. Using your logic, we should allow all commercial waste be disposed of for free. In fact the council should pick up all waste for free at the point of generation, paid for by our council taxes, in order to stop anyone having to dump it to save themselves money.


It is not even worth a reply ........................
avatar
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Posts : 198
Join date : 2012-09-07
Location : Rochdale

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  cyfrifia on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:10 am


The fly-tipped 'asbestos standard form sheeting' seen in the RO photo
http://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk/t802-councillor-lambert-makes-plea-to-identify-fly-tippers
Is made from a mixture of cement and asbestos fibres. The problem with asbestos corrugated roofing comes if it is broken or burned, which releases the fibres. There may be someone who knows exactly what's what with asbestos in Rochdale, as it is something of a local speciality.


cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : Todmorden

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  Dalelad on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:
Dalelad wrote:

But it's not. Using your logic, we should allow all commercial waste be disposed of for free. In fact the council should pick up all waste for free at the point of generation, paid for by our council taxes, in order to stop anyone having to dump it to save themselves money.


It is not even worth a reply ........................

Well, in that case, I'll just point out again, then, that the responsibility lies with those dumping the rubbish, not the council.

You are giving these people an excuse to dump by apportioning part of the blame to the council who shut one tip for household goods, not commercial waste.

avatar
Dalelad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Posts : 345
Join date : 2012-09-05
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  cyfrifia on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:22 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:
It is not even worth a reply ........................

It can be difficult to reply to opinions which seem to be based on entirely different ideas than your own. Life is so complicated that there is always a range of ways of understanding a situation.

Most British people couldn't be bothered talking to or arguing a point with people who disagree with them, maybe why internet forums in the UK don't thrive the way they do in the USA and other countries.

The way twitter works puts people into contact with those who agree with them, facebook connects people who are obsessed with the trivia of their own and other peoples lives. A forum is better, you can bounce ideas off people who may well disagree with your point of view.

Nobody gets everything right and everybody gets some things wrong.

There are a few things in life and politics that need talking out and doing better, but going by the number of people who bother, most people prefer to talk to someone who agrees with them. Is that why so many of the big issues in the UK never get debated properly?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : Todmorden

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  Atlas on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 am

Your analysis of the British may well be correct cyfrifia in that argument for the sake of it is a pointless exercise. Perhaps that's what makes us what we are. Certainly less 'volatile' than many others - and sometimes slow to react when it is obvious to others that such is a dangerous course. I proffer that 'sometimes it is better to do nothing' than react and cause even bigger problems. Likewise arguing with others of a closed mind or bigoted views. Sometimes better to leave it alone and let them howl to an empty sky.
With the 'rubbish' problem I see it as a health and safety problem, notwithstanding cleanliness next to godliness and a pride of place, domestic rubbish of all kinds 'should' be collect and treated by the governing bodies thus ensuring all requirements as previously listed. Commercial rubbish should be also collected but given the 'variety' should be priced and costed accordingly. Whichever way it is done the costs fall on 'our' shoulders. Whether from council tax or added cost to goods. It is a fallacy to think that anyone else pays the bills. Therefore both dalelad and keithofrochdale are right in their own arguments. Fly-tipping would in this scenario be un-necessary and should carry the penalties as before listed.
avatar
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Posts : 3031
Join date : 2012-09-06
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Councillor Lambert makes plea to identify fly tippers

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum