Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pub closures: Drinkers fight back!

4 posters

Go down

Pub closures: Drinkers fight back! Empty Pub closures: Drinkers fight back!

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:15 am

Well, this is one drinker who is fighting back. One of my favourite pubs; The Fox and Goose in Heben Bridge was faced with closure so 250 of us got together, formed a company, bought some shares and decided to run it ourselves. We are buying the building, refurbishing it and carrying out repairs etc.

We sold shares at a quid each with a minimum investment of 100 shares. This type of initiative has been used to save loads of pubs, shops and other businesses across the UK. It's all about people not giving in and taking control. That's the sort of capitalism I can live with.

It will be run as a real ale venue with live music 2 or three evenings per week. My share certificate arrived the other day. Some great people have got involved with loads of skills.

We are running it as a 'pop-up' at the moment until the sale of the premises goes through. It will be the area's first community run boozer. May there be many more. We have lost far too many over the years.

Pity we couldn't have saved the Merry Monk and a few others in the same way.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Pub closures: Drinkers fight back! Empty Re: Pub closures: Drinkers fight back!

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Late news, just in:-

We are hoping to have exchanged and completed the purchase of the Fox and Goose by Monday 17th or Tuesday 18th March.

We will be closing the pub for a quick fix, clean and re-paint along with replacing pumps beer lines, repairing the cellar floor and walls, rewiring, re plumbing and installing a heating system, burglar alarm, new doors and locks, safe, till system, restocking etc.

The plan is to re open on Sat 22nd March. This is the first phase of the works we have planned, we hope much of the rest can be completed without the need to close. As is the way of things there will undoubtedly be hiccups and we may not get all of the work we plan to do done in this period, contractors can be difficult to pin down at short notice, but we do have assurances that some of them can work around us. This may mean that we are closed during the day in the week for a while to get the works completed but we should be fully open by the time the good weather comes.

Any help during the week of the 17th -21st would be appreciated, Let one of the staff know if you can come down, or send me an email.

We will be announcing the date of the AGM shortly, please consider if you would like to stand for the management committee we have many vacancies to fill.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Great to hear this place has been saved.

Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:49 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:02 pm

A classic hit

Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:46 am

Latest from the F&G:-

After over 2 years and a lot of heartache we have finally completed on the purchase of the Fox and Goose. This is West Yorkshire's first Community Owned Pub.

We have nearly completed the repainting and revamping of the bar and will today fit carpet tiles to the main bar area as a temporary fix. We still have more work to do including wiring and heating, painting outside, sorting the beer garden and a few other bits and bobs, but we will re-open on Sat 22nd at 12 midday.

We hope our first day of trading will be a success and that this success will continue into the future.

We owe a great vote of thanks to all the volunteers who came to help, local traders who rallied round and gave us some great discounts, the team of people who have worked towards this gaol for the last 2 years and yourselves for supporting us.

A pat on the back to us all.

Regards
Drew Marsh
Company Secretary
Fox and Goose (Hebden Bridge) Limited
Society no. 32021R
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 pm

When Hedbendribge became a hippy fun town in the 1980s or thereabouts, the Fox and Goose had a reputation for being an old fashioned, locals pub, with lock ins and dominoes. It never really became fashionable. A proper pub.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Well, acting on the tried and tested business model of 'poacher turned gatekeeper', I have put in nomination papers to be considered for post of Director of Human Resources (Unpaid!) At the Fox and Goose.

So many otherwise great pubs and businesses ruined by employing staff who don't give a toss and don't really want to be there. I aim to reverse the trend if I get elected.

Nobody wearing flip-flops, filthy track suits etc need apply and any staff not engaging with customers by watching TV, texting, talking endlessly on mobiles will incur Hinch's displeasure!

Am hoping that the post will enable me to have a role to play in quality control with frequent visits to assess beer quality.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  davelee Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:39 pm

It would be an advantage if the staff knew their stuff about real ales they sell.
davelee
davelee

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:00 am

Yes, I made this point in my nomination address Dave.

Also, unlike an experience I had in the Cask and Feather a year or two back, staff will be expected to engage with the customers. On this occasion, the young strumpet behind the bar managed to take my order, pull my pint, serve me and hold her hand out for payment without speaking to me or taking her eyes off Eastenders on the TV over the bar; carefully angled to maximise her own viewing enjoyment rather than the customer's.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down