Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asian Women of Achievement Awards

5 posters

Go down

Asian Women of Achievement Awards Empty Asian Women of Achievement Awards

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Congratulations to who I am sure is a very worthy winner BUT... how would it go down I wonder if we had an Indigenous White Woman of the Year Award or something along those lines ?

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/86354/shehneela-ahmed-makes-the-2014-asian-women-of-achievement-awards

Last edited by Hinch on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Asian Women of Achievement Awards Empty Re: Asian Women of Achievement Awards

Post  keithatrochdale Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Or you could ask why EXTRA money is available - is that not prejudice?
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 pm

You're quite right, Hinch old bean. But why have you latched on to the ethnic nature of these awards rather than the fact that they are gender based too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fillies, bless their pretty little heads, but I don't see why they should be getting their own awards when they should be cleaning behind the fridge.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:48 am

Because I have no problem with gender-based awards. The winner, as I clearly stated, sounds to be a worthy winner but to me would carry far more clout if it was just a Woman of Achievement award. Identifying her by racial or cultural origin devalues it to me.

We have complete equality in our house re fridge cleaning. Neither of us do it Old Bean.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 am

"Because I have no problem with gender-based awards"

Why not?

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:48 am

Probably because women have struggled for centuries to be regarded as being capable of building successful careers or businesses outside the home. In this lady's case, she has done so in the male-dominated world of professional football.

Her nomination stands on its own merits. Her ethnic origins seem to me of minimal importance.

Plus, it says she was born in Rochdale. Have there been some boundary changes? Is Rochdale now in Asia?
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:52 pm

I still don't understand why you think it's OK to have different awards for men and women but not for different races.

If it's difficult, as you say, for women to make their way in the world of business then it must be doubly so for Asian women. The example you cite of the football industry is a case in point. You're absolutely right to say it is male-dominated but then it hasn't exactly been a hotbed of Asian involvement on the playing front, in management or in the running of the game.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:03 am

You don't need to understand PT. Just carry on making snap judgements about those you appear to have issues with. You clearly have me in a box labelled 'homophobic, sexist, anti-Semitic and racist' . All of these applied on the basis that I often have views, opinions and experiences that vary in some ways from your own.

No point trying to explain. The only time you come on here is to have a go at your favourite targets; usually me or my stand-in, Old Regulator. Still, if it keeps you happy and confirms your rather narrow views then I'm only too happy to be of some assistance.

I simply think that to base awards based on people's cultural connections are often unnecessary and can be potentially divisive.I am far more impressed by this lady's achievements at being successful in what is essentially a man's world than I am regarding her cultural connections. Just a personal opinion, that's ałl.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:01 am

Well said Hinch. PT - stop being purposely obtuse. It makes you out to be 'a bit thick'. Which I know you aren't. Arrow 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 am

I'll happily own up to being a bit thick, but I promise it isn't on purpose.

If someone wants to argue that all awards should be given across the board with no division between the sexes, races, religions, age groups or any other definition then I can understand that.  If somebody else wants to say that we should be able to give awards to people in all these categories to provide encouragement, incentive, publicity and role models then I can understand that too.

But I honestly can't understand a thread being started to say it's fine to discriminate on the basis of one's sex but not ethnicity.  The example used is a spectacularly good one to show this.  If women are underrepresented in the football industry then imagine what the figures are for the Asian community, let alone for Asian women.

When the subject is the number of prisoners in this country we get "let's stick some minarets on prisons".  When the issue is grooming then the criminals' ethnicity and religion is deemed to be highly relevant, but one local Asian woman gets nominated for a business award and all of a sudden it's "why can't we just be Rochdalians together?".

Apologies for any obtuseness.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Are special awards for asian women a bit old fashioned? There are many other equally disadvantaged people, for various reasons, male and female.

Unless this form of social engineering changes responsively, as quickly as circumstances do, it gives the impression of favored status for some, rather than being helpful.

Last edited by cyfrifia on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:17 pm

A point I was perhaps clumsily trying to make Cyfrifi.

I have long since stopped trying to fall back on that tired and oft-unconvincing retort, " I am not a racist." I am neither ultra PC nor am I a camp-follower of the knuckle dragging far right. I am somewhere in the middle 75% of indigenous Brits who are on the whole pragmatic and tolerant but welcome genuine debate in the interest of making things work better than they are doing.

Of course, any of us who even moderately question the status quo, tend to be branded as extremist by one or both ends of the extreme.

I was particularly struck by our institutional immaturity and uncertainty on how to deal with emergent issues when sitting through various press conferences and meetings on the wake of the grooming cases and SCRs. There seemed to me to be a horror of discussing any possible racial or cultural connections in case a great genie came screaming out of its bottle. Nobody in the rooms were trying to paint it as a racial issue but simply trying to raise discussion about some possible cultural connection that might aid wider understanding and perhaps signpost the way to possible remedies.

There is still a large unwillingness to debate or even discuss these issues honestly and no real platform upon which to do so. This is welcomed by parties such as UKIP who are only to delighted to fill the vacuum and offer themselves as 'honest brokers'.

Perhaps I should describe myself as "I'm not a racist but..."?

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down