Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An immense pile of filth

2 posters

Go down

An immense pile of filth Empty An immense pile of filth

Post  cyfrifia Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:46 pm

The Pope says that planet earth is starting to look like "an immense pile of filth", due to human activity.

It depends where you look and what you compare it with I suppose. Much of the planet is pretty well ruined compared to what it was a hundred or even fifty years ago, but there are still a lot of nice places and things to see. Admittedly those nice places are getting harder to find or to access, and disappearing bit by bit.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

An immense pile of filth Empty Re: An immense pile of filth

Post  Atlas Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:50 pm

For the leader of a sect who denigrates birth control usage and fosters one of the richest 'closed' organisations in the world to 'complain' about humans and their inclinations to prosper and survive at any cost is nothing short of crass cheek and gross hypocrisy. Let he who be without sin cast the first stone - and it won't be any so-called Jimmy Pope. He is without doubt one of the finest Catholic leaders to be spawned from that cult - notwithstanding John Paul but to lay blame on the poorest and the richest for all of man's destructions whilst pontificating against a possible way of keeping down the earth's human population and consequently the damage being exacted on the planet, really takes the biscuit.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Hmmm, biscuits. Cool  The Pope is probably well meaning despite the criticisms that can be levelled at his organisation. He probably gets around and says what he sees, like the 'catchphrase' tv programme.

It's not all bad as there now quite large new islands in the pacific ocean made of floating junk, plastic bottles and the like which could be developed as holiday resorts.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:00 pm

And the Chinese are creating new ones everyday in the South China Seas - although I suspect these will be missile sites for defensive purposes - tch!

Floating tourist resorts -. Yes. I can see that being practicable. Wouldn't surprise me if quite a number don't spring forth over the next few decades. Floating cities. Floating airports. All practical given the latest technology. Let's face it - the seas are the only place to go once the land becomes untenable. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:24 am

There are different ways to understand the Popes' statement that the Earth is starting to look like "an immense pile of filth". He seems to be blaming capitalism for it, and there is some truth in that, but considering the state of things around the world generally, it does apply more widely.

I don't think we will be going to live in the sea, undersea or whatever in the foreseeable, that's probably escapist wishful thinking.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Of course not. Who invited you? Sorry your too old, too poor, too negative, too educated. Can't have people coming who have brains and experience. You will have to sit it out on what's left of the land mass. The 'seas' will only be for the rich and privileged. Tch - never heard the like in mi' life. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad What a Face
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm not bothered about living in an undersea city away from the smouldering remains of the land, but am considering a position as deckchair attendant on a very large unsinkable ship.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:59 pm

A very large unsinkable ship -. Er. Hmmmm-.

Now -. I am not even going there as it is a proven fact that water can sink everything - Atlantis. Herculeum. and our kids raft. Smile Smile Smile
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:46 pm

Water eh? You can't beat it. Wink

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:39 pm

No you definitely cant. I know. I sailed on it for a number of years. It's the most powerful substance on the planet. I've seen it - be afraid.

The Water Wars are coming. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon.Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Guess so. elephant

Water is a remarkable substance. Science in it's search for extraterrestial life recognises water as the signature of life, or at least life as we know it. Where there is water, there may be life. The earths' water cycle, rain, rivers, seas etc. is a great power. We are generally well placed in the UK for access to water and all that goes with it. Countries depending on rivers that flow first through other territories are much more vulnerable to water wars.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:26 pm

As is already happening along the White & Blue Nile and the countries they pass through.
Water - drinkable and clean enough for irrigation will be the 'gold' currency of the future. We have an abundance - but be beware - climate change is coming and we shall have less as time goes on. Rolling Eyes Exclamation
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Difficult to imagine Manchester area without rain. People get a bit restless after a while if it doesn't rain.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:52 pm

I forecast that you will have to do with progressively less as the century moves on. I doubt we shall see a return to a wet temperate climate (as we have known it) until the next century when technology will have returned the atmosphere into one more world-wide acceptable to everyone's taste. It's the time for northern vineyards - if you really want to make some money. Save shipping it in from all over the globe. Just think of the savings to the carbon footprint alone!!Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile Smile Smile
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:27 pm

It might be difficult to find suitable land for northern vinyards, all things considered and planning ahead.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:15 pm

You can grow grape vines almost anywhere - providing the weather/temperatures are OK. You don't need land, as in masses of acres. Yes. That would be ideal if you had such land but it isn't vital. And what's wrong with the moors. South facing slopes. Spot on. Get to it why don't you. Never say die/dai - Ok bad joke if you live here. Rolling Eyes Smile Smile Smile
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:57 pm

"What's wrong with the moors?"
Mostly too cold and windswept at the moment, and would the soil suit grapes? There will be spots with suitable microclimates, but they would tend to be isolated, and perhaps not available to buy land there.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Grape is a very hardy vine and can grow in almost anything - if it wasn't for its fruit it would be classed as a pest. Temperatures/ humidities are vital for the crop. With climate change the Lancashire moors would be a good source of growing area. Initially the ground would need feeding in the area of the 'root' after which the vine itself takes over the majority of its needs. Water is essential and therefore the climate shouldn't be too dry. Nor of course too wet.
The saving on carbon footprint with this crop would be enormous. That in itself is worth the effort. Smile Smile Smile Smile
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:34 pm

Sounds interesting, got any practical tips on how to start growing grapevines?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:58 pm

First find your patch of moorland. Then give up -- it's cheaper to buy a crate every now and then. Smile Smile
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Back to the garden chair then.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:45 pm

In our position Yes. If and I do stress IF I was 20 again I would be sorely tempted to move in that direction. Make hay whilst the sun shines. According to the scientists we will have raised temperatures world wide for a number of decades and in a country that has never had the opportunity to utilise such the opportunities are boundless. But - one would need one eye on the situation if and I stress IF the countries of the world take heed regards global warming and take the necessary and appropriate action. There will be then a finite time period in which to 'cash in'. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Smile Smile
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:23 am

If I was 20 again, I would, hmmm clown , have to think about that, it might take some time.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:56 pm

The world can wait. There's no rush. Whatever, I expect it will be taken breathless by your reply and hang on every syllable with their bated breath and wondrous, uncomprehending expressions when they receive them. Smile Smile
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum