Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The size of fish

2 posters

Go down

The size of fish Empty The size of fish

Post  cyfrifia Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:45 am

When I was a lad, I watched the fishing boats at Bridlington unloading cod, huge things, five or six foot long. So my impression of a cod is of a pretty big fish.

Of course since then they have been overfished, more and more of the big ones have disappeared, so it's small fish about two foot long that are caught and seen in the shops.

In conversation I realised that young people think that is the real size of a cod, about two foot long (60.960 cm) quite small. An illustration of how the real world is diminishing and disappearing, but people don't know that unless they have been around for a long time, and then no-one takes much notice of you anyway.  Rolling Eyes

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

The size of fish Empty Re: The size of fish

Post  Atlas Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:27 pm

You silly old person you. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Razz Razz You don't really think the young will take any notice of you with your rambling dementia and silly warped ancient ideas???? Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Of course not. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes But that's not your fault. That's the conceit of the young which is down to ignorance - not that they can realise such.
It will take many years of prudent conservation to return our fishing grounds to anything like their original systems. It won't happen in my lifetime.
A prudent national policy can only be realised if we cast off the restraints of the EU. And even the we shall have to spend money policing it and threatening other EU nation fishing boats to 'Keep Off'.
It's not our world any more lass. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Exclamation
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Don't get me started on halibut.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:34 pm

Why? What's the poor old bugger done now? Harold Butt always seemed a pretty reasonable chap to me. His conkers were the biggest you have ever seen let me tell you. He used to pickle them in old spice vinegar. Hard as rocks they were. Slash/bam - splintered his opponents conkers for fun. Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:50 pm

Ah yes, the halibut, a very interesting fishy animal, I thought you might be interested, I expect you would like to hear the whole story,

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:25 pm

I think some of it appears in one of my books. 'Ower Darkling'. He was well known over the Mount for his large bulging eyes and owl-shaped orifice. Once caught nicking the tar from between the cobblestones on Hope Street and selling it to the other kids as Bubble-gum. You had to admire his cheek. In fact both of them. God could they wobble when he ran. Dearie me - Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Razz Razz
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down