Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Mail

+6
nickih
teamplayer2
Dalelad
Hinch
cyfrifia
Charly
10 posters

Go down

Royal Mail Empty Royal Mail

Post  Charly Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Has anyone else opted out of the 'Delivery to neighbour scheme'?
I dont like the idea of the postman leaving my 'to be signed for' letters with a neighbour.
I thought the post office was meant to deliver items to the addressee?
If I have to go to the sorting office to collect fair enough, I'd rather do that than have my mail delivered to anyone.

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery-to-neighbour
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Royal Mail Empty Re: Royal Mail

Post  cyfrifia Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:26 pm

In an extension to the scheme, parcels will be given out at street corners to whoever jumps the highest while shouting, me, me me !

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:58 pm

I am ok with it as I have trustworthy neighbours... at least on one side.

However, I do believe that the choice should be to opt in rather than opt out.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:26 pm

I imagine there will be a good number of items going missing, which a neighbour denies seeing point blank.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:51 pm

With my better half at home these days we get all sorts of parcels left at our house when neighbours are out during the day. Gets more busy than the Post Office sometimes. When they are left they are signed for to say they are left at the house.

So anything dodgy like stealing a parcel left for a neighbour I would think that any person will soon be caught.

Just wait and see what happens I suppose.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I dont mind taking a parcel in for someone else, just not sure I want others on my street taking mine in. One or two dubious characters live round and about.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:07 pm

I don't mind my mail being left with neighbours as I know and trust them and I'd rather that than fag over to the main office and queue in the rain to collect. I can see why some might prefer that theirs isn't lef t with a neighbour. Don't you just need to put a sticker on your door, though? Easy done, saves a drive over to ROchdale and I imagine saves RM money.
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm

They send you a sticker when you opt out
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 am

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Perhaps some might just 'speak' to their neighbours 'for a change'. You would be amazed at how 'wrong' your 'impressions' might turn out to be. Who said "There is not such thing as society." ???
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 am

I haven't got a problem with my neighbours. I wouldn't like to become a pain though if they are forever getting my post.

Also I believe Mrs T didn't just say 'there is no such thing as society' she actually said "... there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

I have to say, broadly, I agree. It is our duty to look after ourselves and our families first, and then also those people around us who aren't our family. I do believe of course, that the state must help those who aren't capable of helping themselves, and help support those who need it, but the logical extension of wanting the government to sort everything is the benefit culture we have today, when many rely entirely on the state when they are actually capable of helping themselves.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hovis Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 pm

I have been recieving mail for neighbours for years and they for me, one neighbour who kept a parcel for me l had never seen before or since, l live on a main manchester road, l thought everyone did this.

hovis
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:21 pm

I am all in favour of it, the neighbour has to sign to say they have accepted it so no getting away with it ?

If I am expecting a parcel I leave a note on the door requesting which neighbour to leave it with (with their consent of course) Wink
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:22 pm

How sticky is the sticker? I can't decide whether to opt in or out. This could be the make or break question? Laughing
Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:24 pm

I'll let you know when mine arrives...I've got a stickiness meter Razz
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Dalelad wrote:there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

An interesting Mrs. Thatcher quote there. In response to her statement that "people must look after themselves first", getting rid of dangerous politicians like Mrs. Thatcher is a good way to look after yourself. Mrs Thatcher is a long time ago, but, the damage she did has never been repaired. Very Happy Broken Britain, pass the parcel.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 pm

So which part of the quote do you disagree with? Do we not have a responsibility for ourselves and our neighbours? Is that what you are saying?
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:20 pm

I wasn't disagreeing, Dalelad, just saying that getting rid of dangerous politicians (Mrs T for example) is a good way of people looking after themselves, and their neighbours, as in the quote.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:30 am

Everyone should look after themselves first Dalelad but that of course only means for good health and general comfort. It depends on how far you take 'looking after yourself'? In Thatchers case it meant at the expense of anybody else who might want a fair shake of the shilling. There's self and there's selfish. I suspect the latter has more relevance in todays society than it had in the 1930s or 1940s or even into the 60s (when things when completely bonkers) sharing or a general consideration for fairness and honesty in all manner of things seems to be the last consideration now. You tell me when you last saw a genuine, honest TV advert which spelt out the actual costs for the product that doesn't have small print under , around, behind and inside. The box screams nightly of the disingenuous packaging and portrayals of almost every product or service going. That is not how it used to be. Such things, as and when they occurred, were few and far between in my young days. People had a sense of morality no longer considered today. Sad Shocked
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:40 pm

I agree Atlas. Why should it be a surprise when someone does something selfless these days? I was travelling with a colleague the other day and had to listen to Radio One, which was bad enough in itself. Someone rang up with a problem, which listeners then had to ring in about with their advice. The woman's problem was that her boyfriend had asked if his 18 year old sister could come round for tea for a week whilst their parents were away.
She wasn't happy because she didn't see why she should have to work ALL DAY and then cook this person's tea, as well as her own and her boyfriend's.
9 our of 10 listeners who responded told her to tell the sister where to go, the idea being that she should be looking after herself. I was actually shocked at how selfish they all were. May be down to Mrs T, or parenting techniques in the 60s and 70s, or something else altogether, or a bit of all three!
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:01 am

At a rough guess I would say the 60s brought forth a new era of individualism whereby the young, who previously had been kept down by latent Edwardian values, found a new way of expression and values. Unfortunately this also spawned a general feeling of 'freedom' to do as one wished in an era of free love and abandonment. This was a false dawn in that there is a price to pay for such 'freedoms'. Spare the rod ruin the child does have some merit. A sensible society retains some semblance of sanction however unappetising it may seem. Chastisement at an early age keeps a sense of order and balance. The 'give the child what it demands in an understanding way' never works. The demands and consequent expectations simply increase exponentially and then when reality sets in (i.e. the world) the child (now a teenager) doesn't know how to handle it. Surprise. Surprise.
This coupled with the 'greed is good' syndrome we saw with the Thatcher years and the consequent deregulation of the banks and financial institutions and MAN are we surprised we find ourselves in such a selfish less caring society. We no longer think it our 'duty' to look after our parents in their old age without wanting kick-backs from the rest of society. I don't advocate going back to the 30s and 40s but I do make a plea for stopping the rampant PC and what I call the mamby-pamby way we constantly 'give in' to all the liberal dross that is flung around in abandon these days. Fair and firm - that's all it takes.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down