Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Different rules?

5 posters

Go down

Different rules? Empty Different rules?

Post  Charly Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Different rules? Empty Re: Different rules?

Post  johnb Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Since neither comments have (thankfully) been published, it is impossible forus todetermine the relative seriousness for ourselves.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Some of them were published in the articles
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 pm

There may be differences which depend on a number of factors. In no particular order:

Age of defendant. Early guilty plea. Remorse or not. Previous offences of a similar nature. Whether defendant was subject to a bail condition at the time. Racially aggravated. On a breach of the peace order at the time. Mitigation due to mental state. Prevelance of a type of offence in a locality.

I am not saying any of these were pertinent to the individual but they are some of the reasons why people committing similar offences get different sentences.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for the explanation Past It, reading both articles it doesn't seem to differ much in what they wrote, the one who got community service still maintains he didnt think what he wrote was offensive, I suppose the families of the 6 dead soldiers may think differently.
There is no excuse for either of them getting away with writing what they did, just that one got prison, one didnt.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Sentencing remarks of District Judge Goodwin

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/azhar-ahmed-sentencing-remarks-09102012.pdf

He got off far too lightly in my opinion.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:47 pm

Can you find the sentencing remarks for the other case Sparky?
Apparently one of his comments was 'who in their right mind would abduct a ginger kid?'
I have 2 ginger kids and have never thought of it as offensive to be so called.
His other remarks were sick jokes from Sickapedia, I dont know what they were
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Tried to get them for you Charly but unfortunately it was not possible:

"I'm afraid sentencing remarks aren't available in Michael Woods case - it's very unusual to have them in Mags' Court cases." Judicial Office.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks anyway Sparky, I did try myself but got nowhere, I thought you must have the knack or something Laughing
I would have liked to know what was said to him so I could compare the two cases.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Slightly different case but did anyone see on the news about the police officer who was charged and convicted of physically abusing a 15 yo boy? He was sentenced to jail time, but suspended. Practically legalised thuggery by some members of the police.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Back to the two cases, both despicable acts. Regarding the case of the lad rubbishing the soldiers, very wrong indeed, he was targeting his anger of the killing of innocent people in Pakistan/Afghanistan, at the wrong people. His anger should be targeted at the politicians who send the soldiers over there, and who order the bombing of people by the cowardly means of drones, not the soldiers who are fighting a lost cause and losing their lives for it. It is ok to oppose military operations but it is not ok in my opinion to have ago at the soldiers, especially when making the ultimate sacrifice of death.

Personally I do not think that either case warranted prison but instead a long period of community service would be more beneficial to society especially as non of them are dangerous or violent people.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:Slightly different case but did anyone see on the news about the police officer who was charged and convicted of physically abusing a 15 yo boy? He was sentenced to jail time, but suspended. Practically legalised thuggery by some members of the police.

I saw the CCTV video on the news just now. This happened in March of last year and it seems strange that the other three "laughing constables" shown on it haven't already been disciplined. Sick or what? The defence lawyer stated in court that PC Hudson had now quit-resigned from the GMP, before the judge announced he was giving him a 'suspended' sentence. I wonder just how long he was suspended for on his full salary, before he resigned. There was no order made for cost or compensation. Shocked The length of time it takes for cases to go to Trial seems to be a real problem.

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 am

Indeed, scandalous amount of time. He should have been sacked, but I suppose if he resigns he will be able to keep his pension. Would he have kept his pension if sacked? Amazing how quickly justice is served when it's an ordinary person or youth, but when it's an officer of the law justice takes ages allowing the officer to receive his salary for all that time. All are supposed to be equal under the law, but it's just not the case.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down