Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Energy tariffs

+2
cyfrifia
Charly
6 posters

Go down

Energy tariffs Empty Energy tariffs

Post  Charly Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:13 am

New laws will help consumers get the best deal on their gas and electricity bills.
David Cameron has pledged that companies would be forced to offer their lowest tariffs.
I cant understand all these tariffs, why do we need different ones?
I dont know anyone who has tried to switch to pay more.
How can the energy companies charge different prices for what is, at the end of the day, the same thing?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Energy tariffs Empty Re: Energy tariffs

Post  cyfrifia Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 am

Energy bills and tariffs are all so complicated, it's hard to believe it's that way by accident, it does seem intended to confuse. Such a fiasco about supplying a basic essential that every home needs, and that costs so dear.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Well Cameron's energy ministers have not confirmed his statement. Is it another Cameron lie, or another misunderstanding of what his ministers are actually up to or proposing. A bit of both. I think he said what he said for a great sound bite. He is another Blair for doing popular sounding sound bites, but look into the detail of their policies quite often we are left un impressed.

The idea of energy companies giving the cheapest available tariff is totally correct, but it needs a complete overhaul of energy fro wholesale to retail, and sound bites will not give any of us what we need.

UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:21 pm

I went on uswitch last week and saved £47 per month on my gas and electric fixed for around 18 months. It took 10 minutes and I don't know why I hadn't done it before.
I'd recommend it as soon as poss before the best deals are gone.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Indeed there are big savings to be made by shopping around on price comparison sites, especially if not done before. I have for years used these sites to get the best deal, but once you have made the switch, the price savings in subsequent years are nothing like as great. Also many people do not have computers or the ability to do this. Also not all can pay by Direct debit, as usually the cheapest way to pay is by On-line Direct Debit tariff.

I believe the only possible way of getting the very best deal, while we have so called competition is for a legal requirement for companies to give the cheapest tariff to all customers, irrespective of if they have internet or pay by direct debit, and it is very wrong for pre payment scheme customers to be forced to poay the highest prices.

Ultimately the cheapest supplier would be a nationalised supplier possibly run as a co-op, with profits going back to the customers by means of lower prices, and into improving the business. The Tories, Lib Dems and Labour though are all committed to big business so none of this will happen.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:34 am

BRING BACK THE GAS BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:34 am

Atlas wrote:BRING BACK THE GAS BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree, over £90 of each gas/Electric bill today goes to shareholders banks, dispicable!

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Not if the shareholders include the companies looking after my pension fund!
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:55 pm

You have a pension Dalelad..haha, we'll see about that... Laughing

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Scientists are making petrol out of air and water, using electricity. It takes more energy in electricity than comes out in the petrol, but it sort of makes sense to do it because "On windy nights when we are all asleep, the windmills make lots of spare electricity."

I shall think of those windmills pumping out their spare electricity on cold and windy nights.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Irishman wrote:You have a pension Dalelad..haha, we'll see about that... Laughing
Fingers and toes crossed, Irish!
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down