Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birtle on the border of Rochdale and Bury

5 posters

Go down

Birtle on the border of Rochdale and Bury Empty Birtle on the border of Rochdale and Bury

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Hello

Made some progress on those photographs since I last posted on Rochdale Online was informed by the dealer he bought the pictures from an auction. Informed the family involved in the photographs was a family who lived in the early part of the 20th century.The surname being Holt.

Any ideas anyone!

TP

Last edited by hinch on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:05 am; edited 3 times in total
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Birtle on the border of Rochdale and Bury Empty Re: Birtle on the border of Rochdale and Bury

Post  southernbelle Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:46 pm

My other half has Holts in his family.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Birtle on the border of Rochdale and Bury Empty here we go again

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Is it the Holts from Birtle
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Birtle on the border of Rochdale and Bury Empty Re: Birtle on the border of Rochdale and Bury

Post  southernbelle Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:56 pm

will have to check
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:02 pm

"The Bury family in the 16th century held part of Birtle. (fn. 7a)

The most prominent residents were the Holts of GRISTLE HURST, (fn. 8a) who were in possession in the first part of the 15th century, succeeding a family named Wood, (fn. 8b) and in the 16th century acquired large portions of the monastic estates, and flourished (fn. 8c) for a brief period. In 1562 the capital messuage called Gristlehurst was found to be held of Richard Ashton of Middleton in socage, and by the rent of 17d.; part of the land, called Fernhurst, was held of the queen in socage by a rent of 4d., and the rest of the demesne lands, being in Bury, was held of William Bamford also in socage, by the rent of 18d. (fn. 9) The estate was acquired about 1660 by another branch of the family, (fn. 10) and after some descents in this line was conveyed in marriage by Elizabeth daughter and heiress of William Holt to Richard Beaumont of Whitley Beaumont, by whom it was, in 1758, sold to Mr. Milne of Flockton Manor House. It was in 1849 the property of James Fenton of Bamford Hall. (fn. 11)"

More details on the British History Online website (sorry I am unable to post a link due to forum restrictions).

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Love the name 'Gristlehurst'. I follow a band called Throbbing Gristle'. (Sounds very rude but I think it's meant to.)
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello Spartacus.

Thank you for your help but I had already published some of the information you gave on Rochdale Online before the plug was pulled on the forum.

Though the Holt family was not mentioned so this could be of help thanks.

TP
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Managed to get hold of a book called The Vanishing Parish Bircle as it was called. One of the photographs I have is in the book and no others in the collection I got hold of does not appear.

Though is does give the history of the area it cost me an arm and leg and the shirt off my back to buy it. Figure of speaking of course. They are hard to get hold of and the book seller said that people who do go to live in Birtle ask him for copies of the book. Looks like I was lucky to get hold of the copy.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:44 pm

George Kelsall in Littleborough has a good reputation for sourcing rare books and those now out of print.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 pm

I did leave details with him Charly and what I wanted. Also left details with another dealer who managed to get hold of the book and contacted me yesterday. Which I collected earlier this evening. So I do get around Charly. Wink
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:54 pm

There was a meeting last week of the Birtle Trust and went and missed it. I will have to take the photographs to the next one.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down