Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxi ringback - beware!

+3
Charly
UP THE DALE
Hinch
7 posters

Go down

Taxi ringback - beware! Empty Taxi ringback - beware!

Post  Hinch Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Heard a story today from a reliable source but for various reason, I will leave out details of the persons it involves, the name of the company and even the town.

A young mum was flying out of the country for two days so booked a taxi to the airport on her mobile using their ringback service. Before she had gone 5 miles, the driver was telling her about his favoured sexual preferences and other very intimate details. He asked the passenger what time her plane was and offered to climb in the back with her and 'keep her company' as she had half an hour before check-in.

He also offered to meet her on arrival back and take her home 'for nothing'. She told him that this was not necessary as she was being picked up.

Three weeks later, her mobile rang. It was the same taxi-driver who was pestering her for a date. He had acquired her number, presumably via the ringback facility offered by the company. The woman tore a strip off him and told him she would report him if he ever rung her again.

Sadly, despite encouragement to do so, she failed to report this to either the police, the company or the licensing department.

How many more are walking around with the addresses and mobile numbers of females they perceive as 'easy meat' or vulnerable in some way?

This happened well after the grooming scandal. Some people are clearly not learning their lesson.

Just be careful when using ringback services.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Taxi ringback - beware! Empty Re: Taxi ringback - beware!

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Good advice. Terrible that such types are about. The woman really should have contacted the licensing authority, and or the police and firm.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:45 pm

I just think that for the few pence you save using the ringback service, you are best altering your call settings so that your number is not displayed... particularly if you are a lone female.

Yes, absolutely agree, she should have reported this creep. This sort of garbage should not be driving taxis.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Good advice, particularly for vulnerable people. This should be covered bt data protection, the storing of telephone numbers, so only trusted staff should have access to the numbers, though to be frank after the job has happened must numbers should be erased from the systems. The firm should be told about their employee, as it could have led to very nasty situation.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Bit dodgy for your home security too, I always used the same (trusted) company when going on holiday.
There was an article I read one time where holiday makers were going home to find they had been broken into and it came to light baggage handlers were giving out addresses from luggage labels. Best to just put a phone number on your labels.
This could so easily happen with taxis to the airport.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Thankfully I rarely use taxis.

The last time I did use one the driver spent the journey informing me why women were happy in Pakistan -- seems they know their place there.

No idea if his diatribe was aimed at female passengers in general or if I received special service.

Needless to say I will not be using the taxi company again!

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:52 pm

The role of taxi firms in 'grooming', and why taxi licenses were not withdrawn as requested has not been explained.

Quote:"trafficked and used for sex over several years by an organised ring of taxi drivers."

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/75358/sex-grooming-two-more-former-council-officers-to-appear-before-select-committee

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:08 am

Sorted very easily, nearest police station and report it on the spot, I would also have rang the taxi company as soon as I left the cab, he wouldn't be doing it again.

The idea it's going to go away if you just put your head down and ignore it is simply stupid and risky for others who have sit through garbage like that. Take his number all the details times and such, we all carry phones with us these days and people still let this happen. If I were a woman I'd have rang the police from the cab and told them what was happening and I felt uncomfortable about what the driver is saying, the police would have met the cab at the airport. My daughters phone can record as well, many do these days, put it on record and get it from the horses mouth.

Phone numbers are easy to get hold of but you shouldn't need to worry about who has your number if you have no wish for them to use it, hang up, they will soon get tired of it and if it continues report it to the police, there's a stalking law now.

People get away with situations like this because they don't report it.

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  hovis Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 am

We dont use taxis for the airport as we heard that taxi drivers MAY put the word out that the house is empty for x lenth of time. It works out cheaper to take our car and pay for 1-2 weeks parking at the airport.

hovis
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:08 am

Hovis I think everyone knows someone with a car just as easy to ask a friend and fill the tank up for them. Very Happy

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:04 pm

It has got to the point where people avoid using taxis because they can't trust them.
The Scottish Government intends to "address the influence of criminal groups and individuals within the taxi and private hires trade".
http://news.stv.tv/politics/203111-taxi-industry-faces-tougher-rules-in-crackdown-on-organised-crime/
This seems to be left more to discretion of Local Government in England.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down