Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extended warranties

4 posters

Go down

Extended warranties Empty Extended warranties

Post  Charly Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:42 am

Just been to Currys to pick up a Christmas gift for someone, quite an expensive item but presently on offer.
I reserved it and went to collect this morning,
the young man told me
'theres lots of fiddly parts on these that quite often break off so I suggest you pay a further £30 and we will replace it for a period of 3 years if anything goes wrong'
His face was a picture when I said he'd put me off buying it and I'd have to contact the manufacturer and relay the information he had given me and get some reassurance in that case before i bought it.
I approached a woman who looked like she could be a manager and told her what he had said, she came over and the 2 of them would have won a prize at the waffling awards trying to explain this 'great deal' ...after a good few minutes I said 'well, to cut it short you're just trying to flog me an extended warranty' which of course was denied, it was all for my benefit...'its only £10 a year'...no its not as it is guaranteed for 2 of those anyway! Laughing
I felt like one of those women on tv who have to do something naughty 'cos the Maltesers have hardly any calories.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Extended warranties Empty Re: Extended warranties

Post  Hinch Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:09 pm

I love the quick about-turn they do. They spend ages telling you how tough and reliable something is and then after you are at the point of sale they turn 180 degrees and try to convince you that you will have to remortgage your house when it inevitably breaks down.

They are usually not a good buy though Richer Sounds do a very good and cheap one plus I got one on my Blackberry Playbook.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:41 pm

I was in last week Charly buying my younger daughter her Christmas present, which I won't mention yet cause she reads this. Anyway, it was very expensive and involved two parts and the guy nagged me all the way down to the till about this extra warranty for both. He nagged right up until I was just about to pay and I stopped dead, got up and walked off with him running after me asking me what's wrong. So I walked over to the customer service desk and wrote down on a bit of paper ( can you please find me someone who can serve me without mentioning extra warranties or I leave the shop empty handed) The look on the girl behind the counter was a picture, turned out to be the assistant Manager.

I left the shop with my purchase and a £10 voucher off my next purchase and no one mentioned warranties again.

How many times do you have to say no to be understood, I wrote it down twice and he still didn't stop.

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:46 pm

I stopped buying from 'Currys' several years ago and the reason was that I was sick to death of being harassed to take out insurance cover on everything I bought, they are renown for their pushy sales in this area, or so it seems when I have spoken to others.

I started to shop at Comet where they didn't seem to be as fixated on pushing this cover but, 2 years ago I purchased a flat screen TV and was asked if I wanted to take out insurance and, when I refused the salesman said "well, let me just say, if this breaks down after 12 months it can't be repaired and so you might as well throw it in the bin". It was New Years Eve and the store was due to close plus, the transaction had already gone through otherwise, I would have walked out without it. It's all about commission Evil or Very Mad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down