Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Valentine's Day: A Muslim slant

+6
Poppyanna555
Jeanie
teamplayer2
cyfrifia
johnb
Hinch
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Valentine's Day: A Muslim slant - Page 2 Empty Re: Valentine's Day: A Muslim slant

Post  Guest Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:32 pm

nickih wrote:Am I seeing that right? Is it men whipping each other? !

No nickih. It has to be self-inflicted pain under Shia Muslims’ religious practice.

I had wrongly thought that ‘chest beating’ by Shiites outside of Middle East countries … Iran, Iraq, Azerbaijan, Bahrain … and other Shia-majority Muslim communities, was more common as a practice, instead of self-harm, these days.

Shiites might self-flagellate by hitting their backs or chests with blades attached to chains, known as Zanjeer-Zani. A type of that is what seems to be on this video clip!

We’re signed up to freedom of religion, so it can’t be illegal, unless it breaks other UK laws.

We also have legitimacy of open and honest debate and the rights to critical and humanist ideas.

Photos from around the world often show heavily-bloodied young boys Sad , wielding large knives that are used in celebrations of Shia festival.

Have to practice some 'whittling' now, trying an historic alternative: It seems there are a number of ways to draw or throw the Runes for the purpose of divination. scratch Real runestones are wood, carved, blooded and consecrated by the person who will use them.

Need feedback from Atlas about Welsh dragons and trolls as well …

Back to top Go down

Valentine's Day: A Muslim slant - Page 2 Empty Re: Valentine's Day: A Muslim slant

Post  Hinch Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 am

Hey MJH, I do the irony on here!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Yes, and cleverly woven it is to. Signing off now - going to bed early. Making one of my regular quinqennial visits to your broken but fair city tomorrow to savour the delights of 'brownie' fishing in your delightful sewers. Regards to one and all. Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:03 am

Enjoy your visit and hope you shop till you drop on Drake St.

If your cash runs low, you can always hock your car in one of our many thriving log-book loan companies.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Customs that were once 'foreign' and little known to the British public can be disconcerting at first. The surprising thing really is that people assume those who settle here would want to forget or give up their customs, and that communities can be here many years before the public know basic facts about them. By that time, customs such as gathering in groups to flagellate themselves with blades on strings are just ordinary things that ordinary people do. Perhaps it's something younger people would generally know more about, from cross cultural studies at school?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:18 pm

There are of course big Easter festivals in the Philippines and other places where some loony Catholics have themselves nailed to crosses etc and flagellate themselves in public.

As for Opus Dei, some of them are rumoured to be into some rigorous mortification of the flesh practices.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Apparently it does take all sorts. With it's international population, the UK now has a huge mixture of customs, beliefs and ways of going on. Everything from Chinese Triads, Rastafarian music, Polish sausage shops, and bucket curry, to Arab princes and Russian oligarchs. The British public will probably be surprised as things go on and all these different cultures settle in enough to have a more and more high profile effect on mainstream culture. We have chosen to have a multi ethnic population, so, it's going to be a multi cultural future.

Mr. Cameron is trying to tempt an unlimited number of Indians to come here, and we are expecting an influx of Romanians and Bulgarians before too long, so there seems to be no turning back on the multi-culturalisation of Britain.

Does make you wonder though, about attacks on traditions like Valentines day.
http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/77926/florists-targeted-by-thieves

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 pm

cyfrifia wrote: - - - -
By that time, customs such as gathering in groups to flagellate themselves with blades on strings are just ordinary things that ordinary people do. Perhaps it's something younger people would generally know more about, from cross cultural studies at school?

No Cyfrifia. You seem to have got rather carried away there.

There’s a prime need to understand that ‘Religious practices’ are different to cultural traditions.

A simplistic analogy, internationally, can be seen in very rural versus urban cultural traditions.

Different religious practices are only protected here if they stay within mainstream law, which regulates social conduct and proscribes threatening, harming, or otherwise endangering the health, safety, and moral welfare of other people including, of course, children.

I doubt the burglary of Valentine’s Day flowers that you posted a link for was anything at all to do with attacking the tradition, more likely opportune thieving, from where just a short journey could quickly get the goods ‘Over the Border.’

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:23 pm

It's not clear that religious practices are so entirely different to cultural traditions, they blend into each each other. Family and tribal structures, hairstyles, gender roles, political structures, clothing, foods, festivals and behaviors can all have both religious and cultural aspects and implications.

The point about the flower display theft is not that it was inevitably an attack on valentine-ism, just that with such an interplay of cultures, it makes you think. It had never occurred to me before that anyone would attack valentines day, but there it is.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:13 pm

I imagine some lucky lady somewhere got a lovely bouquet with bits of glass in. Got nothing to do with an attack on Valentines day.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Very probably so, a fair guess based on knowing the area and what people's motivations and habits are.

The point is that, with the change in the population of the UK, ideas and behaviors are changing quickly, things we might have taken for granted are changing.

The cultural makeup of the UK is very variable, local mixes of various cultures have their own character, and people's experiences very different, depending where they live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21511904

Quote:"Something quite remarkable happened in London in the first decade of the new millennium. The number of white British people in the capital fell by 620,000 - equivalent to the entire population of Glasgow moving out.

The consequence, as revealed by the latest census, is that white Brits are now in a minority in London, making up just 45% of its residents."

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 pm

About time I took all my Valentine cards down now. Well the one I got anyway. Cool I love you
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum