Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raising the retirement age

4 posters

Go down

Raising the retirement age Empty Raising the retirement age

Post  Charly Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:09 pm

I know from personal experience that heart attacks can happen to anyone at any age but with the raising of the retirement age are we likely to see more of things like this happening?

A coach driver managed to save his passengers during a heart attack by pulling his vehicle to the side of the road before dying.
Brave Bill Craven, 74, of Westerhope, Newcastle, was travelling southbound on the A1 when he became ill near Lobley Hill, Gateshead.

He managed to manoeuvre the 60-seater coach to the side of the motorway, clipping only a lamppost.

The grandfather-of-three was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead but attempts to save him were unsuccessful.

His heroic actions meant that 46 passengers on board were uninjured, with a further one passenger taken to hospital feeling unwell and another seen by paramedics at the roadside.

Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Raising the retirement age Empty Re: Raising the retirement age

Post  Atlas Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:42 am

It is all relative Charly. One assumes that medical science has progressed sufficiently to help us all live that bit longer and to also take precautions to avoid such things (as described above) from happening. Far less people are dying or unaware of thier medical conditions as was previously when the retirement age was 60/65. I would advise all who can NOT TO RETIRE - it's not good for the mental or physical conditions - until it is absolutely essential to do so. Keep active. Keep smiling and don't give in to the lure of the couch or the 'easy' life. It's a fallacy. And it can sometimes be beneficial towards one's pocket. Every little helps said the little boy as he - well we know what he did don't we?
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:51 pm

How come he could still pass a PSV mdical when in his seventies?

Hw must have been reasonably fit.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:02 pm

I remember when I was nursing years ago, at 70 you were deemed to come under 'geriatrics' and moved to an appropriate ward; some never to see the light of day again.

How times change.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum