Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rejuvenation or more dross?

4 posters

Go down

Rejuvenation or more dross? Empty Rejuvenation or more dross?

Post  Atlas Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:57 am

Have heard nothing regarding the plans for the town centre or - I dread to ask - another shopping centre disaster????
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Rejuvenation or more dross? Empty Re: Rejuvenation or more dross?

Post  Chill37 Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:24 am

Atlas wrote:Have heard nothing regarding the plans for the town centre or - I dread to ask - another shopping centre disaster????

Last i heard it was passed, but not in the form that it was originally pushed upon us. But nothing more.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:22 am

Thanks for that chill37. I would like to know more when available. Time someone in Rochdale started banging heads together and put an end to ALL this nonsense and stupidity. Beggars belief it really does. Mad Sad

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:17 am

Atlas wrote:Thanks for that chill37. I would like to know more when available. Time someone in Rochdale started banging heads together and put an end to ALL this nonsense and stupidity. Beggars belief it really does. Mad Sad 

Careful dont be negative!!  Laughing Smile  Laughing 

Aye I know what you mean. We dont need a new shopping centre. We have two half empty ones, one of them is bust and in the hands of the receiver.

Still Lamberts Folly has a good ring about it for the name of the new shopping centre.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:37 pm

Atlas:   Another 'proposed segment' for you ... There's supposed to be glass viewing panels, somewhere  Exclamation   

Winning design proposal selected for town centre

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/84848/winning-design-proposal-selected-for-town-centre

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 am

Designs that look absolutely wonderful in an architects impression may turn out to be a fair effort, but usually with some problems.

Designs that look reasonable in an architects impression may turn out to be rather disappointing with a lot of problems.

This looks like a reasonable design. The  ha-ha 'green areas' are a joke of course, far too small to be sustainable and will soon serve as litter bins.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:41 am

Every journey requires a first step. It's a step in the right direction. Following an successful bid from Heritage Lottery a more detailed plan should be available. It is at that time pressure should be put on for those items that would make or break the project. Johnb joins my sad sack list for this month following a hollow and somewhat negative remark at these initial proposals - an alternative with some detail might have improved the remarks, but alas, there were none. Reminds me of many of my society members - oh dear how do we survive as a species?

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:55 am

This is a big project, and needs the people who are making the decisions to understand, and to see well beyond the process by which such designs are arrived at.

Architects will draw up a design which will satisfy the judgement of those whom make the decisions, rather than drawing up the design which will best serve the purpose. The architects drawing is a device to get the work. Just look at how much badly designed 'modern' architecture has messed up the landscape of towns.

These projects are greeted with political fanfare and great expectations. If politicians, advisors and consultants who know the right buttons to press to get political approval make the decisions, the actual reality that eventually emerges will reflect that mediocre process.

The design presented is too timid, too well presented with it's unconvincing stick on trees, and lacking in substantial vision. Yes, it's a step in the right direction to get the project underway, but it needs a lot more realism and guts to turn out really well.

If the final design reflects the political thought and process of Rochdale, as it inevitably will, it will need a damn good thrashing before it is fit to present to the world at large.  Cool 

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/84848/winning-design-proposal-selected-for-town-centre

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:46 am

In its initial stages of re-construction there is only so much that can be done. Especially when finances are so restricted. The river opening and a safe pedestrian surround is limited within the area available and as such I think the proposal as shown has done the best it can under the circumstances. Think of a Christmas tree before it is decorated. Its the imaginative way the decoration is done and tweaking of the expected margins that gives the observer his final satisfactions or not as the case may be. For instance - the glass panel viewing areas need not all be the same plain structures. And I dare say with some thought the final concrete works could be varied throughout - even to large mosaic reliefs depicting the past, present and future etc etc. Together with riverside café, book/reading emporium, public toilet, and even down to sufficient refuse bins, life-saving equipment, good lighting etc etc (no take-aways) all going towards a sense of vibrancy and worthiness could produce something quite extraordinary for a town centre in the wastelands of the North West. Glass half-full please everybody. And go forward.

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:12 am

The greenery side of things could be better without much expense. Riverside trees need space for their roots. A few weeping willows and a couple of small pond areas connected into the river could bring the area to life.

Rejuvenation or more dross? Ducksswns_450x300

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:44 am

And there you go. It's beginning to look better already. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Very Happy 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:22 pm

The new bus station is so much brighter, more comfortable AND warmer Atlas, so I guess that is at least one positive! Wink
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Atlas wrote: ---Together with riverside café, book/reading emporium, public toilet, and even down to sufficient refuse bins, life-saving equipment, good lighting etc etc (no take-aways) all going towards a sense of vibrancy and worthiness could produce something quite extraordinary for a town centre in the wastelands of the North West. Glass half-full please everybody. And go forward.

Atlas: Appreciate your comments about life-saving equipment and no Take Aways  Very Happy 

If nothing else, there seems to be an increasing abundance of social media available for consulting (? ?) on the Town Centre changes Rejuvenation.  

New website for Rochdale Town Centre Management: -
Designed and sponsored by RO, with integrating events and business information listing via Rochdale Online.

silent    Fulsome praise documented for the Town Centre Management CEO by RO’s MD.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/1/business-news/85040/new-website-for-rochdale-town-centre-management

As fact, there’s huge numbers of borough residents who do not have ICT mobile or lap/desktop devices, or the capability to personally access/use them.        There seems to be an increase in assuming that information is exchanged in virtual communities, and low emphasis on the more time-consuming, but very 'human,' face-to-face communications ...      

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 am

I think mojo hill that such is a sign of the times. It's not easy with limited budgets to 'carpet-bomb' all the residents with information that 'all' should get. I have the same problem with 'marketing' for those age groups that refuse or have no desire to embark upon high tech as a form of information. We do the best we can with the resources we have and hope the message gets out. I would suspect the Observer is more in line with the people you refer to. But, getting 'them' to do the job properly is purely down to good reporting and space available. - Yep - Problem!
 Sad

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum